Torque wrench bit - what's it called?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
PS you don't need a torque wrench for a cassette, or for anything really.
Yeah, but if you like that lovely clicky sound, they are good for the soul. I've got two sub-£30 Sealeys and they are great, covering 4-104 Nm or something.
BTW, cassette lockrings have pretty fine threads. 40 Nm seems a bit high to me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah, but if you like that lovely clicky sound, they are good for the soul. I've got two sub-£30 Sealeys and they are great, covering 4-104 Nm or something.
BTW, cassette lockrings have pretty fine threads. 40 Nm seems a bit high to me.
Pat's torque wrench is an 'Indicator Needle' type (they don't click) the clicking she was referring to is the lock ring 'serrations'.

bruce1530

Guru
Take the torque wrench with you to Halfords.

nah - since Pat’s in Glasgow, Bill’s Tool Store is the place to go !

Seriously, it’s an amazing place - a proper “old school” supplier, a real Aladdin’s Cave. They sell all sorts of stuff - good budget tools, top-of-the-range tools, ex-MOD and second hand stuff that looks like it came out of a shipyard, lots of “obscure things in brown oily cardboard boxes that nobody sells any more”...

and the staff know exactly what they’re talking about. Usually decent prices too!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
nah - since Pat’s in Glasgow, Bill’s Tool Store is the place to go !

Seriously, it’s an amazing place - a proper “old school” supplier, a real Aladdin’s Cave. They sell all sorts of stuff - good budget tools, top-of-the-range tools, ex-MOD and second hand stuff that looks like it came out of a shipyard, lots of “obscure things in brown oily cardboard boxes that nobody sells any more”...

and the staff know exactly what they’re talking about. Usually decent prices too!
True: but they don't sell bike specific tools ... yet!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It says 40Nm on the instructions that came with the Shimano cassette, also GCN's video says same.
I'm sure you are correct. From memory, I remember torqueing mine up to about 20Nm and getting a bit nervous about the consequences. Follow whatever the manufacturer says, and make sure the threads are clean and oiled.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The thingymybob you need isn't 'bike specific'.
You need the whojamaflip for the non-bike stuff.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It says 40Nm on the instructions that came with the Shimano cassette, also GCN's video says same.
As does Park Tool's torque crib sheet. I failed to torque a cassette cartridge enough once and it vibrated in the shell horribly. I've got a torque wrench for other reasons, so might as well use it and avoid that problem happening again. Similarly, it's good to get crank bolts on right first time.

ayceejay

Guru
Edinburgh university are offering Torque Wrenching as a post graduate degree for 2017 Pat it may take you while to get there at 5mph but you will learn about Newton meters and elbow grease and everything.

Top Bottom