Torque wrench bit - what's it called?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
40Nm is loads, don't do it that tight as you'll be bouncing up and down to undo it.
The Park Tool crib sheet gives up to 68Nm for some models, so is 40 really so high?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Park Tool crib sheet gives up to 68Nm for some models, so is 40 really so high?

I have never used a torque wrench, but even 5 is quite high on a stem. I do it by feel, and 40 is very tight. I've been maintaining bikes for over 30 years. 40Nm is a lot.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have never used a torque wrench, but even 5 is quite high on a stem. I do it by feel, and 40 is very tight. I've been maintaining bikes for over 30 years. 40Nm is a lot.
Yes, but that's what it says on the cartridge box. Big difference between the bit your hands twist and the one you stomp on all the time.

Completely different scale to loose bearing BBs which are rather delicate by comparison.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A bike doesn't need a torque wrench. Don't go with what it says on the box either. I tighten the cassette with a bigger wrench, but only after a few notches.

rrarider

Veteran
68 Newton metres is about 50 ft lb, which is a lot. That's about what I tightened the cylinder head nuts on my Mini to. I've never dreamt of using a torque wrench on a bike.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Evening all!
I thank you all for the name of the part, which I have now purchased here:
Bills tool store pat , bain st , nr The Barras for the socket
Needed an adapter too, so here you go, a bit of extra info.
I am touched by your worries that I shall tighten my cassette to smithereens in spite of the clear instructions on the box and on the web: I'm thinking that if it's really so tight, I might not manage anyway (I'm not the incredible Hulk!), but tomorrow is the day, we will find out.
Did a 30 miler today on the cassette fitted without torque wrench, all good.

[QUOTE 4493468, member: 9609"]Even very tight my current cassette remained a little rattly so I put some gaffer tape over the splines and pushed the cassette over the top of the gaffer tape, certainly cured the annoying rattle. A little while ago I went to remove it for a proper clean, It now wont slide off - LOL - so I just cleaned it in situ - its going to be fun job when I need to replace it.[/QUOTE]
Ha! You obviously need to borrow my tool :whistle: ^_^

This getting to be like The Helmet Thread.
No half! Never knew this topic was so controversial! Hope this thread doesn't get locked before I can post my results tomorrow :laugh:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Ok I have played much with my torque wrenches :biggrin:
Verdict:
The high value one, you were all right, is a waste of time on an ordinary (not carbon) bike.
I did the cassette up at 40Nm, it was tighter than when I did it by feel (3 clicks more from the cassette) but it was riding the same.
Btw, I was able to undo both the torqued cassette and the non torqued one with no issues, maybe because I did lightly grease the freehub, or maybe because I'm just :training:
I don't think I will bother using it again next time I do cassette, but I will for cranks, just to get the feel of the difference.
The small value torque wrench tough is a great bit of kit: I discovered that I have a tendency to over-tighten the wee bolts, I will use this tool all the time now.
Again, thank you all for the responses, here is a link to my fettling.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ok I have played much with my torque wrenches :biggrin:
Verdict:
The high value one, you were all right, is a waste of time on an ordinary (not carbon) bike.
I did the cassette up at 40Nm, it was tighter than when I did it by feel (3 clicks more from the cassette) but it was riding the same.
Btw, I was able to undo both the torqued cassette and the non torqued one with no issues, maybe because I did lightly grease the freehub, or maybe because I'm just :training:
I don't think I will bother using it again next time I do cassette, but I will for cranks, just to get the feel of the difference.
The small value torque wrench tough is a great bit of kit: I discovered that I have a tendency to over-tighten the wee bolts, I will use this tool all the time now.
Again, thank you all for the responses, here is a link to my fettling.
Linky no worky, but like you I have found my torque wrench unnecessary for most stuff, and don't ever seem to have the right sockets or adapters to hand when needed. On the other hand one of my favourite widgets is this preset torque key with a 4mm bit, which I use for fannying about with headsets and stem bolts.

20161003_185908.jpg

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

@theclaud it's in the "what have you fettled today" thread, yesterday's post.
My low value torque wrench came with all the bits, for the big one I had to buy an adapter and a socket, less than a fiver though for both.

Top Bottom