Torque Wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Does anyone have any experience with either of these Torque wrenches? Looking to get a cheap one for using once in a while.

Planet X Jobsworth Torque Wrench Set

Wiggle Lifeline Essential Torque Wrench Set

Mighty Torque Wrench Set
I was thinking of buying just a torque wrench, for instance Sealey-8-inch-2-24nm as I have lots of bits (and bobs) at hand, but it all depends on what size drive they are. Would it be possible to fit a socket from a socket set onto a torque wrench and then fit the correct bit into the socket and then use the torque wrench, or would that change the torque amount?

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Obviously they are all the same wrench - also rebranded as Giant and other companies. I have the Lifeline version and it has been fine for me. In regards to your question about torque changes, then IMO no the torque stays the same.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Obviously they are all the same wrench - also rebranded as Giant and other companies. I have the Lifeline version and it has been fine for me. In regards to your question about torque changes, then IMO no the torque stays the same.

Good man and well spotted. I totally overlooked the fact that they are generic wrenches. I'll probably just go for the Lifeline one, then.

Cheers, Milkfloat :okay:

Crankarm

Guru
I have never once used to a torque wrench to do up any bicycle nuts or bolts on any of my bikes, ever, never in many many years of working on bicycles and riding, and never ever have I had an issue because I didn't use one. I do however use a torque wrench for rebuilding car/motorcycle engines, but bicycles - no, never! Don't waste your money. If you already have one great, you probably don't even have to use it tbh as no bolts or nuts are torque critical on a bicycle and you certainly don't need to waste your money buying one.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Does anyone have any experience with either of these Torque wrenches? Looking to get a cheap one for using once in a while.

Planet X Jobsworth Torque Wrench Set

Wiggle Lifeline Essential Torque Wrench Set

Mighty Torque Wrench Set
I was thinking of buying just a torque wrench, for instance Sealey-8-inch-2-24nm as I have lots of bits (and bobs) at hand, but it all depends on what size drive they are. Would it be possible to fit a socket from a socket set onto a torque wrench and then fit the correct bit into the socket and then use the torque wrench, or would that change the torque amount?
I've got 1/4" and 3/8" drive Sealey wrenches that cover the range 2-108 Nm . I've got a few drive adaptors that increase or decrease the range of sockets you can plug on. Buy the adaptors and the hex keys on eBay. Cheap as chips compared to bike specific stuff.

Don't forget to de-torque the spring when you store the wrench.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have never once used to a torque wrench to do up any bicycle nuts or bolts on any of my bikes, ever, never in many many years of working on bicycles and riding, and never ever have I had an issue because I didn't use one. I do however use a torque wrench for rebuilding car/motorcycle engines, but bicycles - no, never! Don't waste your money. If you already have one great, you probably don't even have to use it tbh as no bolts or nuts are torque critical on a bicycle and you certainly don't need to waste your money buying one.

The voice of reason.....
The only thing I ever use torque wrenches for is doing the main and big end bearings and the cylinder head bolts on car engines. Never anything else on a car, let alone a bike. People working on machinery simply need to develop a feel for how tight is tight enough.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've got the PX version and it works .. not much else to say really! As been pointed out available in various guises and cheaper than the PX price ... got mine for around 30 quid in one of their 'sales' .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I too have never used a torque wrench on a pushbike but then I've never worked on a Carbon Fibre bike. At one point I used to say I didn't own anything Carbon Fibre but now remember I actually do.................................................My Carbon Fibre record (as in LP) brush. :laugh:

bpsmith

Veteran
The voice of reason.....
The only thing I ever use torque wrenches for is doing the main and big end bearings and the cylinder head bolts on car engines. Never anything else on a car, let alone a bike. People working on machinery simply need to develop a feel for how tight is tight enough.
Show us the science behind “how tight it is tight enough”! :smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
I know for me there is no 'science' it is down to the years of experience wielding spanners and I'd bet real money that if you put a torque wrench on any nut/bolt I'd done up it'd be right.
My reply was tongue in cheek, because some people always reply with the show us the science comment, when there is clearly more to life experience than just science. Your response proves that?

My only question would be, how do you know it would be the correct torque if you’ve never used a torque wrench to know what that torque feels like? Honest question, nothing more to it.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom