'Totally Wyred' - a flattish imperial century from Whalley on Sunday 1st April.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes to toilets. No to charges. Probably okay for car safety! (None of us have ever had any problems, but obviously there is always the chance that some scrote will come along.)

NB There is a height restriction of 6'-6" into the car park so watch it if you have bikes on the roof of your vehicle, anybody!

I thought Whalley Nab was the monstrously steep climb, the hilly way over to Blackburn? We will definitely not be going that way, though you can do if you like and catch us later! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I remember now after looking at the 1:50000 map, it is the road out of Whalley to Gt Harwood, it's got an arrow on it [extra training for Helen ^_^]
Seriously - if Helen and any other good climbers would like to get some extra climbing in early on, they could go up the tough climb of Birdy Brow (marked as Turner Fold on the OS 1:50,000 map) on the south side of Longridge Fell while we take the much easier route round the northern side through Walker Fold. It climbs 180 m in 1.8 km so an average of 10%, but one section of it merits a chevron on the OS map.

The climbers would then proceed along the undulating south side of the Fell before turning right at the crossroads, climbing over the ridge (another 600 m at 10%) and then doing the very steep descent of Jeffrey Hill to rejoin our route. Whoever got to the junction at the bottom first would have to wait for the others to get there. (We'd be doing about the same distance but with about 100 m less total climbing and no severe stuff.)

potsy

Rambler
Ahh - you beat me this time Potsy. Let's see if you are as fast on the roads on Sunday!
I'd like to show you my blistering pace on Sunday Steve, but as back up to the back up navigator I have to stay at the back to look for stragglers.
Will be showing you the way up the final hill though :laugh:

sdr gb

Falling apart
Have a good ride tomorrow folks.

I was hoping to come on this but have had the lurgy all week and am struggling to get rid of it.:sad: I've gone from doing 60 hilly miles last Sunday to having aching legs just by walking upstairs. Hoping a weekend off the bike will help shift it so I can be raring to go over Easter.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Have a good ride tomorrow folks.

I was hoping to come on this but have had the lurgy all week and am struggling to get rid of it.:sad: I've gone from doing 60 hilly miles last Sunday to having aching legs just by walking upstairs. Hoping a weekend off the bike will help shift it so I can be raring to go over Easter.
Thanks, and get well soon!
Ok just leaving for sunny Cheshire, had to go back in the thread to see the ride is leaving at 0930 not 0900 so that makes it less of a rush, will check thread later tonight.
Yay - you're finally going to make it to one of my rides up here! :thumbsup:

It's a lot cooler here today, but we have had some sunny spells. If it is anything like this tomorrow, I'll be happy enough.

I've been busy fettling my Cannondale. I'm having to pinch a few bits and pieces off my Basso for now such as SPD pedals, seat post, saddle and GPS mount. I toyed with the idea of putting my Look pedals back on but I need new cleats for my SIDI shoes.

I must go out for a quick test ride round the block later on once the Saturday tourist traffic has died down. I don't want to get 20 miles into the ride and have something fall off the newly-reassembled bike!

It is more likely that something will fall off me - once again I will have gone 2 weeks without touching my bike and then just go straight out and do a long ride! :whistle:

Steve H

Large Member
I must go out for a quick test ride round the block later on once the Saturday tourist traffic has died down.

wot? ColinJ going for a ride that isn't a forum ride? Could this be the return of the cycling mojo? Joking aside, it will be good to see the Cannondale in action. Heard much talk about it, but not yet seen it on the road.

potsy

Rambler
wot? ColinJ going for a ride that isn't a forum ride? Could this be the return of the cycling mojo? Joking aside, it will be good to see the Cannondale in action. Heard much talk about it, but not yet seen it on the road.
You'll only see the blurr as it races past you Steve #don'tstopmenow :tongue:

Could one of the locals confirm the abscence of rain for tomorrow so I can take the guards off?
Trying to de-weight the bike as much as possible for the final hill :bicycle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I know that carbon fibre is all the rage these days, but I still think that oversized aluminium has a lot going for it.

I enjoyed riding the Cannondale on last year's century ride. I don't ride it in bad weather and I can only do steep hills on it when I'm fit so it hasn't had much use since 2007.

I know you can't wait to see it, so here's an old picture to keep you going (it looks a bit different now with its new wheels, and saddle )! :smile:

widdop_reservoir_three_cyclists_wide.jpg

Ajay

Veteran
You'll only see the blurr as it races past you Steve #don'tstopmenow :tongue:

Could one of the locals confirm the abscence of rain for tomorrow so I can take the guards off?
Trying to de-weight the bike as much as possible for the final hill :bicycle:
Well at the northern end of the ride it's been cool and overcast most of the day, suns broken through now and quite pleasant - more of the same expected tomorrow, it will not rain, honest ;-)
Shorts for me tomorrow.
Thanks for the Birdy Brow invite Colin, sadly I'll have to turn that opportunity down as the road is unsuitable for HGVs and Clydesdales.

Top Bottom