Touch screen's in Cars Yes/No?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Who cares about the XC90? All touchscreens in cars are the devils work. Proven to cause accidents...

Cannot believe you have said that, don't know NO ONE HAS EVER DIED in a XC90. If you don't care about the safest car ever made than what do you care about :smile:.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Cannot believe you have said that, don't know NO ONE HAS EVER DIED in a XC90. If you don't care about the safest car ever made than what do you care about :smile:.
Putin didn't die riding his horse topless across rugged Russian countryside but i firmly believe that is because the horse didn't feature a touchscreen...

gzoom

Über Member
What has the XC90 in particular got to do with touchscreens in general?

xc90-rt_5a.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
The thread is about touch screens in cars in general, not one car in particular. And like most I think they are a distraction and not intuitive to use like conventional switches, particularly in view of the amount of menu scrolling involved.

Yet the XC90 has been repeatedly promoted to be the safest car on the road, but it has one of the biggest touchscreens on the market.

So if touchscreens are so dangerous why does the XC90 have such a good safety record?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yet the XC90 has been repeatedly promoted to be the safest car on the road, but it has one of the biggest touchscreens on the market.

So if touchscreens are so dangerous why does the XC90 have such a good safety record?

Volvo's have always had good safety records, they've pioneered many technologies relating to safety. But you're cherry picking an anomaly statistic from a pool of many all of which indicates touchscreens hinder road safety across the board. As I said before and linked previously in the thread there are studies done by industry experts and professors that all side with touchscreens being a road safety issue. If you challenge that then I demand to know your credentials and studies on the contrary, otherwise we can count your comments as pure guff on the subject...

tyred

Legendary Member

Is this a good safety record for the people inside the car or those outside it?

gzoom

Über Member
lotherwise we can count your comments as pure guff on the subject...

Maybe you should voice your concerns to Mercedes for the new S class

2021-mercedes-s-class-interior.jpg

Or Porsche

Porsche-Taycan-Interior-1.jpg

Or Ford

Mach%20E%20techinterior.jpg

I've been driving a car with a touchscreen for the last 46k miles. Going back to a car without a touchscreen screen is like going back in time to a world of tape players and space hoppers.

Luckily progress isn't dependent on the opinion of random people on the internet.

It looks Iike the UK will soon allow full autonomous driving on the Mways, I cannot wait to see what you guys make an electric SUV with a touchscreen cruising on the M1 by it self :laugh:

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Maybe you should voice your concerns to Mercedes for the new S class

View attachment 542577

Or Porsche

View attachment 542578

Or Ford

View attachment 542579

I've been driving a car with a touchscreen for the last 46k miles. Going back to a car without a touchscreen screen is like going back in time to a world of tape players and space hoppers.

Luckily progress isn't dependent on the opinion of random people on the internet.

It looks Iike the UK will soon allow full autonomous driving on the Mways, I cannot wait to see what you guys make an electric SUV with a touchscreen cruising on the M1 by it self :laugh:

The studies being done on their safety are not random people on the internet, they're being conducted arguably by the only people that matter in regards to their study...

Concord, the furthest we came in terms of civilian aviation had to be retired due to its safety concerns and rising costs associated, so regression although rare, isn't new...

Denial is a terribly sad thing to witness...

Also, i tend not to have any issues with Autonomy provided it cuts road safety dramatically. Full level 5 autonomy will render this discussion null and void as you and a passenger can take a bald middle aged sweaty bloke with you on your trips for a full striptease if you will and not crash. What is being proposed on UK motorways currently is level 3 autonomy. Level 3 autonomy you are fully expected to remain alert as if you were driving ready to take over. That i do have a problem with as human minds wander off, especially when there is a touchscreen in front of them with thousands of settings to fart around with...

To reiterate, studies both in conclusion and ongoing are showing touchscreens to be a danger on the roads and Mazda have already pledged to stop producing cars with them in owing to the concerns...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've kept out of this thread for around a week because I could see it was quickly being derailed by willy wavers and degenerating into childish name calling while classing anyone who doesn't buy into the 'tech at any cost' as blinkered luddites.

The views and ideas being put forward in support of the touch screen concern me greatly. I don't have any problems with the technology itself, there are some very impressive functionality (I like the remote control of car functions, although suspect this is really just a clever party trick?)

My argument is that this tech has no place in a car that requires driver control. The act of touch screen interaction is basically trying to use a computer while driving, even at a fairly basic level.
In @gzoom post below showing the 'real estate' in his Tesla (and the debate is not about Tesla's, although they are an extreme example) I seriously hope that once in motion this screenage is blacked out and locked out, although I expect I already know the answer to that question.
The benefits of a giant touch screen is huge, you can use that screen real estate to show anything beyond lossing massive amounts of surface area to fixed function buttons that do just one thing. For example you can choose to display a cheesboard or keep an eye on the bike, a change that takes seconds to display.

View attachment 541543

View attachment 541544

Everytime I get into a non Tesla car these days it feels like travelling back in time. Am glad the S class is following Tesla's lead as hopefully all brands will catch on soon.

Again, another example from @gzoom in the worrying anecdote below.
Nothing against variable temperature driver comforts such as heated steering wheels etc, but do we really want drivers being able to fiddle with these settings when they should be fully focused on driving? It also highlights how drivers are unable to prioritize the importance of their actions while driving. Fumbling through menus trying to switch on a heated steering wheel and then phoning 'hands free' to ask for help for something which, let's face it, is not essential, demonstrates an enormous lack of awareness of the dangers and importance of the task of driving.
Gosh some of you guys must hate living in a world of tech!

Last winter my wife was driving the car by her self but she didn't know how to turn the heated steering wheel on, so she called me via hands free to ask. But rather than try to explain I simply login in to the Tesla app on the phone and turned on the heated seats 'remotely'. :laugh:
So to sum up;
Driving is the task and not something you do as an extra while doing anything else. Unnecessary and avoidable distractions should be locked out, and that includes touchscreens/interactive car controls.
Good car safety systems should do their job in the background passively without needing driver interference.
Fully autonomous vehicles are key to allowing passengers access to the kind of interactivity we are currently seeing introduced in many cars.

gzoom

Über Member
All I can say is thank god the car designers of today aren't as old fashioned as you guys.

Car design is going one way, and though its taken Mercedes 10 years to copy what Tesla has been doing since 2011 where the S class goes the rest will follow.

You guys can moan, worry, cry wolf as much as you like but progress is occurring :smile:.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
All I can say is thank god the car designers of today aren't as old fashioned as you guys.
You just don't get it do you? It's nothing to do with being old fashioned or car design (although good car design helps). Driving requires your full attention and anything that takes away from that should not be in a car, period.
Once autonomous cars have been developed the car designers can go nuts and fit whatever entertaining gadgets they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom