Touch screen's in Cars Yes/No?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
But if it were 500kg lighter it would be less safe, as the biggest contributor to modern car mass isn't electronics - which are lighter than mechanical controls - but SRS systems, crash structures, and the increasing use of boron steel.

And he would also need to ditch the AWD system which is a genuinely useful feature in some areas or for some uses.

So cars can be made more economical, but then they would lose the characteristics that make people actually want to buy them. I certainly wouldn't entrust my family's safety to a 3 star Euto NCAP Dacia Ruster or the like - it is, unfortunately, an arms race, with complex considerations.

Drago

Legendary Member
You might want to watch this - the Tesla X outperforms the XC90. Plus you have to think about more than just occupants of the cars.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PO-qeXka8w

Please feel free explain why not a single occupant of an XC90 has ever died on the roads in the UK...or Canada...or Norway... or Portugal..or Australia? Your lovely little video isn't translating to real life safety. Just over 1.1 million Xc90s of both generations have been produced, compared to roughly 750,000 Model S, yet despite the low numbers far more people are heading off to meet their maker in one - how do you explain this if it is a safer vehicle? Please, don't just show a laboratory video - actually feel free to explain why they are killing more people.

A quick google will tell you how many have died in a model S, not only because of their own stupidity but also because the car has, on occasion, wrested control from the driver. Please feel free to show a video about that.

In terms of deaths, XC90 remains the safest mass market car model on sale in the West. Period. Volvo are very proud about this, and rightly so - road death is no joke, and having autopilot wake up without being asked and deciding to drive you into a crash barrier is not an amusing punchline, yet it has happened multiple times to unfortunate Tesla owners. Indeed, Volvo are publicly committed to the goal that no one should ever die while travelling in one of their products, while Tesla's stated goal is to continue to improve the "autopilot". Quite.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Please feel free explain why not a single occupant of an XC90 has ever died on the roads in the UK...or Canada...or Norway... or Portugal..or Australia? Your lovely little video isn't translating to real life safety. Just over 1.1 million Xc90s of both generations have been produced, compared to roughly 750,000 Model S, yet despite the low numbers far more people are heading off to meet their maker in one - how do you explain this if it is a safer vehicle? Please, don't just show a laboratory video - actually feel free to explain why they are killing more people.

A quick google will tell you how many have died in a model S, not only because of their own stupidity but also because the car has, on occasion, wrested control from the driver. Please feel free to show a video about that.

In terms of deaths, XC90 remains the safest mass market car model on sale in the West. Period. Volvo are very proud about this, and rightly so - road death is no joke, and having autopilot wake up without being asked and deciding to drive you into a crash barrier is not an amusing punchline, yet it has happened multiple times to unfortunate Tesla owners. Indeed, Volvo are publicly committed to the goal that no one should ever die while travelling in one of their products, while Tesla's stated goal is to continue to improve the "autopilot". Quite.
I have already quoted your post showing from a single cursory search that your claim that no occupants have dies in an XC90 is false - here it is for you again. https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/m1-crash-man-70-dies-3394010
plus frankly, I care less about the occupants and more about the carnage they inflict when they do hit someone. Look at Euro NCAP, the XC90 is not even in the top 50 cars for pedestrian safety and yes the Tesla Model 3 performs better. The Model X performs better than the XC90 for occupant safety too and both Tesla's beat the XC90 for safety assist. Frankly - all cars kill and all cars will continue to kill, even with full automation. The key is that companies try to reduce the numbers as much as they can and I laud both companies for their achievements, even if their is a long way to go. I also criticise companies like Tesla for their cavalier approach to testing, they are not one of my companies customers so I don't need top defend them, but for sure they are shaking up the industry.
I have yet to find anything showing a Tesla wrestling control and engaging autopilot without the driver engaging it, it would be good if you could post some links. There are plenty of people using autopilot in stupid ways and yes Tesla should block these and indeed reduce the time that autopilot can work without users showing they are paying attention, but to suggest that normal attentive drivers are being killed when their own car wrestles control from them is nonsense.

gzoom

Über Member
having autopilot wake up without being asked and deciding to drive you into a crash barrier is not an amusing punchline, yet it has happened multiple times to unfortunate Tesla owners. .

There is a saying, if you are in a hole stop digging. You have zero idea what you are talking about interms of how Tesla Autopilot works. The more you rant the more clear it becomes.

Am glad you find the size and safety of the XC90 comforting, which essentially demonstrates why people like SUVs. The last time I checked the XC90 bares more than a touching resemblance to our X interms of touchscreens. So by default you must agree touchscreens are the safest option around for car infotainment use.

So both a X and XC90 are SUVs, both have touch screens for infotainment, both are loved by their owners. So in essence we agree 100% on why SUVs with touchscreens are fab, and safe :smile:

.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&fit=clip&ixlib=rb-1.1.jpg

50097204652_a96fcf5666_c_d.jpg

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There is a saying, if you are in a hole stop digging. You have zero idea what you are talking about interms of how Tesla Autopilot works. The more you rant the more clear it becomes.

Am glad you find the size and safety of the XC90 comforting, which essentially demonstrates why people like SUVs. The last time I checked the XC90 bares more than a touching resemblance to our X interms of touchscreens. So by default you must agree touchscreens are the safest option around for car infotainment use.

So both a X and XC90 are SUVs, both have touch screens for infotainment, both are loved by their owners. So in essence we agree 100% on why SUVs with touchscreens are fab, and safe :smile:

View attachment 542319

View attachment 542320

Thought i was done with my contributions to this thread but i have to chip in here...

This really annoys me about the internet...

When people say "you have no idea what you're talking about" but then don't explain there superior knowledge on the subject... So how do layman's know if he doesn't know what he's talking about... :wacko:

dodgy

I'm not aware of any Tesla having 'wrestled' control of the car away from the driver. The devil is in the detail, oh, and the press love a "My TeSLa ToOk CONtroL of Me!!!!" stories.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

It's been obvious for a while that some brand victims will go to almost any lengths to defend the expensive trinkets in which they have invested....

AGAs
Bose speakers
Dyson vacuum cleaners
Dualit toasters
Farrow and Ball paint
Brabantia trash bins

Welcome Tesla!
Erm you missed the obvious one, Apple, would be interesting to know if there is a correlation between Apple & Tesla owners.

Adam4868

Guru
It's been obvious for a while that some brand victims will go to almost any lengths to defend the expensive trinkets in which they have invested....

AGAs
Bose speakers
Dyson vacuum cleaners
Dualit toasters
Farrow and Ball paint
Brabantia trash bins

Welcome Tesla!
Funny enough was taking our Henry Hoover (shameless name drop) over to my parents last night for the umpteenth time as her Dyson has packed up ! She tells me every time how crap my Hoover is 😁

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

View attachment 542319

View attachment 542320

White/pale interiors in an off road car - oh yeh, they don't go anywhere muddy.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

AGAs
Bose speakers
Dyson vacuum cleaners
Dualit toasters
Farrow and Ball paint
Brabantia trash bins

Welcome Tesla!

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I'm now a convert to F&B paint. Obviously you're paying a bit too much for the stuff, given there's posh shops to be paid for, but it does seem to work better than even mainstream brands. Just finished repainting our kitchen cupboards, and whilst the paint was maybe twice as expensive as Dulux, the product only has to be a small percentage "better" to save you time and increase the quality of the end job, given it's several weekends' work, so an extra £30 or whatever is neither here nor there. Of course, I might be deluding myself as I did a lot of thorough prep work, watered down the paint just right and took a lot of care, but the end result is genuinely very good, and previous (admittedly less thoroughly prepped job) with Dulux was piss poor. I'm now a convert, at least for woodwork.

I'd had a Dualit toaster in a previous life (wasn't me thought bought it just to be clear), and whilst it was appealing it was ridiculously over-priced and not objectively worth even 20% of the cost. Yes, it made toast quite well but so does the £15 one we've got now

Dyson - agree - quite poor items - style over substance - again not my purchase.

Tricky thing brands: some things are objectively better, but the price has you flinching: Hilleberg tents for instance, or Festool power tools. I don't regret buying either, but regarding Festool, they do frankly take the piss on some of the accessories and their Hoover / extractor isn't that good, albeit not too expensive to be fair

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I'm now a convert to F&B paint. Obviously you're paying a bit too much for the stuff, given there's posh shops to be paid for, but it does seem to work better than even mainstream brands. Just finished repainting our kitchen cupboards, and whilst the paint was maybe twice as expensive as Dulux, the product only has to be a small percentage "better" to save you time and increase the quality of the end job, given it's several weekends' work, so an extra £30 or whatever is neither here nor there. Of course, I might be deluding myself as I did a lot of thorough prep work, watered down the paint just right and took a lot of care, but the end result is genuinely very good, and previous (admittedly less thoroughly prepped job) with Dulux was piss poor. I'm now a convert, at least for woodwork.

I'd had a Dualit toaster in a previous life (wasn't me thought bought it just to be clear), and whilst it was appealing it was ridiculously over-priced and not objectively worth even 20% of the cost. Yes, it made toast quite well but so does the £15 one we've got now

Dyson - agree - quite poor items - style over substance - again not my purchase.

Tricky thing brands: some things are objectively better, but the price has you flinching: Hilleberg tents for instance, or Festool power tools. I don't regret buying either, but regarding Festool, they do frankly take the piss on some of the accessories and their Hoover / extractor isn't that good, albeit not too expensive to be fair
I'm a reluctant owner of a Festool track saw, and very good it is too. Half the fun of ownership is working out how to cobble together bits and pieces that cost a fifth of the price of official accessories. The Festool owners' website is hilarious. I wonder if they actually make anything rather than dribbling over the surgically clean shrines that they claim to be their "workshops".

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I think the thread has run its course, it's been proven beyond doubt that touchscreen are a huge distraction & should not be fitted to cars, just because they can. Also that button/lever/stalk/switch controls for wiper, indicators, high/low beam & heater controls are much suitable than menu driven touchscreen. Maybe one day in the future, however at this point in time they are bad & should be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom