Touch screen's in Cars Yes/No?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I am sure that you all got my 1966 point, touch screen or not it is some drivers that are maybe dangerous, not cars.
I'm not sure TBH take the Tesla for instance, to switch the wipers on, it's a stalk on the steering column, but then to control the intermittent, or between the speeds you have to use the touchscreen,( no idea if it's on the first menu or a sub menu), but why? As above it's just got to be cost driven or to be seen to be progressing. If they wanted to be progressive voice activated would be a better option.

mustang1

Guru
"You have arrived at your destination. Shall I leavev you by the front door while i go and park myself?"
"yes"
"I did not understand you, Please repeat your answer."
"YES!"
"Ok, parking car and not dropping you to the front door."
"Wait? What? Drop me to the font door first".
"Ok, parking car."
"Stupid car! Open the door."
"Your bluetooth connection has been lost. Please re-establish your connection to open the door."
5 minutes later trying to figure out the bluetooth....
"Your bluetooth is connected. Welcome to your car. I am here to help you. Bluetooth is disconnected. Please re-connect your Bluetooth or use the touch screen."
Sod this, I will use the touch screen. Now then, how do you open the door. Uhmm... menu.... menu... ah, Doors Menu. Now how do you open the door, let's see the list... configure door, close the door, uhm, settings, door opening speed, door closing speed, aha,... darn it where is it, uhm...sighs, aha! Open door.
(Now it opens the passenger door)
Oh darn it, where is the driver door menu? Uhm... damn it I wish I was at home right now instead of this stupid car.
"Starting engine, taking you home"
"no wait, i dont want to go home yet, I have to get to my destination first"
"Ok, setting destination to home."
Cursing.
"your language suggests you are angry. Creating appointment for anger management classes."
"STFU MAN YOU STUPID CAR!!!!!"
"Your heart rate has increased. Suspected heart attack. Taking you to hospital. Too much traffic en route. Re-routing via Paris."
Wait, what? Paris? I dont wanna go to Paris" (Now seeing signs for Eurodisney)
"Ok re-routing to Paris. Would you like to go to Disneyland?"
"I wish, but no thanks"
"Ok, routing to DisneyLand"
"Well while you're at it you might as well hook me up stupid car"
"Ok, checking online dodgy sites for female hook up. Now leaving automated voicemail for your wife due to potential conflict with your new hook up"
"OMG Stop already. You will get me divorced!"
"Sending text that you want a divorce and going to Paris for a hookup"
"no NO NO NO !!!!"
"Hearing Oh oh oh, are you doing something you should not be? Tinting the windows..."
"WTF WTF!!!"
"You have now arrived at Disneyland here your hookup is waiting for you"
OK so how do you open the door on this thing again?...
10 mins later...
"Your hook up is tired of waiting for you. Taking you home"
Back at home....
Wife: wtf is this, you're divorcing me?
Guy: wait, what? no of course not. The car was.. the car uhm, the car...
Wife: i packed your suitcase, you can p off in your stupid car.
Guy: hey who is this (pointing at the person next to wife
Wife: This is Larry, my new boyfriend.
Guy: What?????
Wife: yes, he has a good job, he designs car interfaces for a living. You see that car you got, Larry designed it.
Guy: lunges at Larry....

mustang1

Guru
My SO was talking about her friend's car which has cool touch screens. I told my SO that touch screens in cars are not a particularly good design idea but she would have none of it. "They're so cool!"
Anyway, then I told her about the gesture controls you can get these days....

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am sure that you all got my 1966 point, touch screen or not it is some drivers that are maybe dangerous, not cars.
Yes some drivers are dangerous but why should that fact allow the vehicle designers/manufacturers to make the situation worse?
Touchscreen control and interactive media interfaces in vehicles negates all the safety improvements made in car design since the 50s and 60s. It is akin to placing a large pointy metal spike on the front and removing the brakes from a random proportion of vehicles on the road!

Drago

Legendary Member
I sort of agree, although burying the heater controls 3 menus down in the touch screen is going to make even the safest driver a bit distracted when they want to demist during a downpour. That kind of thing is unnecessary when the press of a single, clearly marked button, in my car does the job without even taking my eyes from the road.

I'm not against touch screens per se. It's the fact that they've taken the opportunity to ram so much into them that they're far for simple to use.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Would some of you like to go back to 1966 cars, I certain would not a it was far to dangerous.

I think that's a false choice. Many things in modern cars make it safer, at least for those within the car - seat belts, crash protection, air bags and so on (*). But adding a lot of complex distracting toys, or fiddly controls which need a huge manual and a screen to even understand can't possibly help safety and need to be constrained very carefully. I've been in cars where there was a twiddly knob and screen where the driver was changing the settings - whilst we were on a safe bit of straight road, and the driver was a calm sensible chap, I didn't think it was all that clever

(*) there's a debate to be had about whether better brakes, roadhoalding etc are a safety aid or simply a way of going faster

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I hate touch screens. Give me knobs any day. They are much easier to operate with your eyes still on the road. I never trust any sort of console that is "all in one", it means expensive replacements. It might be ok on high end cars, but the lower end one I've used in my ex's Clio was rubbish, it lacked sensitivity from new and got worse from then on.

My (2011) Octavia has a touch-screen radio/CD player
That's bad enough, with getting a finger to contact properly, to change station, or CD track
(no steering wheel controls duplication on my SE model)

My wife has a Toyota C-HR, & that has a 9"(??) touchscreen (radio/phone/sat-nav/eco-display/battery monitor
Whilst the size makes it easier to view, it's almost too intrusive (to me anyway, but I rarely drive it)
Hers doesn't have that blue stripe (just a polished black strip)

2016_Toyota_C-HR_INT_01_0.jpg

Plus another display in the instrument cluster
Why it needs a g-meter is a curious point though:wacko:
I did suggest that trying to keep the ball in the centre, rather than sending it skittering off the edge is 'the target'
(the swelling in my eye went down after a few days....)

I tell people it even has a teas-maid....

The F35 Lightning has a large touch screen to control many functions. The pilots seem to be OK with it but it also has the most advanced helmet visor display and very careful selection and training of pilots.
I dont think average drivers can drive attentively and look at a a touch screen. The screen removes the senses of touch and hand position that we use to hit that heater or radio button.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Mazdas disable touch screen when the engine is running. You have to use the joystick on the centre console.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

The Rav has the wipers on a stalk on the right hand of the steering wheel, pushing up non latching causes the wiper to do a single wipe, pressing down one puts it into automatic & using the sensor on the windscreen, one more down puts it into slow speed, down one more fast speed, pull stalk towards you gives you the washers & if you hold it a couple of seconds if brings in the wipers. All can be done without taking my eyes off the road & even really thinking about it.

Why you would want to redesign that is beyond me!

byegad

Legendary Member
Our Yaris Hybrid has a small touch screen. It's a royal pain in the fundament to use on the move. I know this from trying to change our sat' nav' on the move, while sat in the passenger seat. The slightest bump in the road and you hit the wrong part of the screen. Toyota are now fitting much larger screens to their cars. Hopefully they'll leave the layout alone and make the virtual button a whole lot bigger. Luckily, everything you should be able to legally change/switch on/off is a real control reachable blind from the steering wheel. Long may that continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom