Tour de Celeb: Louie’s cycling safety demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Made me laugh when Darren Gough said (I think) that he was carrying two and a half stone more than Austin Healey

And the rest, Darren

It's a nice bit of fluffy entertainment. It was never going to be something to get folk into cycling. It's just a bunch of minor slebs doing some activity together. The fact it's cycling is incidental

Reactions: mjr
Garmin Power meters don't work on flats. Garmin are paying a lot to plug their power meters. That's why they are being forced into clipless. I quite like Louis Spence's take on the whole thing:laugh:. The programme makers have put the whole 'Sporting / Sportive / knobber' type of cycling forward as the only way. "YOU MUST IMPROVE YOUR FTP OR ELSE YOU ARE MASSIVELY SH1TE, AND WILL BE FOREVER" "POWWWWWWERRRRR". That's irritating:thumbsdown:.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I watched another epi on C5's website.

Being sick on the floor is a key part of cycling. Both Louis and Darren have been sick ... so far ... who's next?

Darren seems conveniently to have forgotten everything he must have learned about long periods of exertion in extremely hot conditions (He was a fast bowler, remember ... long spells in the West Indies, India, Sri Lanka ...)

Hopefully they'll keep Louis, Austin, Darren and Angelica and get rid of the other ones whose names I can't remember because they are rubbish.

Distressingly, I am beginning to enjoy this program. That is bad. There is something wrong with me.

Slick

Guru

Being sick on the floor is a key part of cycling. Both Louis and Darren have been sick ... so far ... who's next?

Darren seems conveniently to have forgotten everything he must have learned about long periods of exertion in extremely hot conditions (He was a fast bowler, remember ... long spells in the West Indies, India, Sri Lanka ...)

Hopefully they'll keep Louis, Austin, Darren and Angelica and get rid of the other ones whose names I can't remember because they are rubbish.

Distressingly, I am beginning to enjoy this program. That is bad. There is something wrong with me.
Just embrace it, you'll enjoy it even more if you do.

As long as none of them do a Greg Lemond, we should be fine

Slick

Guru
He's playing a role, and I'm pretty sure he's playing down his fitness level.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As long as none of them do a Greg Lemond, we should be fine
Get shot by their brother in law, or what?

If it's not being done to produce good TV, then I'm surprised Hayles and co are making a bit of a shambles of it, but I suppose their other shows like The Coach have started with keen cyclists, not novices.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[QUOTE 4600539, member: 259"]Why? It's a good laugh and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I'd far sooner watch this, which is genuinely a bit off the wall and wacky, than some crap staged 'look at me!!!!' comedy top gear drivel.[/QUOTE]
Why? Why? Because I'm a big pompous pseud and I can't possibly like reality TV can I? ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
He's playing a role, and I'm pretty sure he's playing down his fitness level.

Get shot by their brother in law, or what?

If it's not being done to produce good TV, then I'm surprised Hayles and co are making a bit of a shambles of it, but I suppose their other shows like The Coach have started with keen cyclists, not novices.
I think there is the crux of the program, you have the coaches trying their best to make it happen going against the celebs desire to do a look at me combined with the producers who have to make something to appeal to the reality tv shock tactic loving masses.

Slick

Guru
I think there is the crux of the program, you have the coaches trying their best to make it happen going against the celebs desire to do a look at me combined with the producers who have to make something to appeal to the reality tv shock tactic loving masses.
I won't disagree with you, but I'll still watch it. I just feel it's a lighthearted escape television about what is rapidly turning in to my favourite hobby. What's not to like? :popcorn:

blazed

220lb+
The program isn't trying to portray commuting to work. Or a typical club or beginners learning their stuff going on little pootles around town. It's showing how best to take complete novices and get them to complete a tough sportive in a couple months.

People saying it's going to put people off. Take a look at this forum, how many threads are there with people having accidents? How many nooby clipless moment threads? That is part of cycling.

They have been thrown in at the deep end, which is not only the best way to learn but also what is required to go from nothing to completing the challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom