Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's nice to see Romain Bardet, France's best GC contender, coming out in solidarity with Froome yesterday.

''There was one moment when I felt very uncomfortable. That was when I found myself on the start line with Christopher Froome, when he was being booed. I didn't know where to put myself. I have confidence in the anti-doping fight and confidence in the riders. That reaction saddens me. Some people mounted a lamentable coup against Sky and Froome. They got together against the Sky machine using dubious power calculations. Sky's methodical rigour does not make friends, and they made a over hasty alliance against Sky. What a shame.''

albion

Guru
I quite recall last year when Wiggins said "Froome's time will come.....'" missing out a 'but over my dead body' means they will only really ride together with Wiggo as TDF team leader.

So where next for Wiggins ?

U

User169

It is the tradition - there are a few kermesses held every year that allow the riders to show up, do light weight racing, an agreed rider wins and everyone gets some appearance money.
Cav has not been invited this year to some as a result of the high speed accident he was involved with.

My local one is on Thursday evening. Kittel's been signed up, atlhough Laurens Ten Dam will be the crowd favourite I guess.

thom

____
I quite recall last year when Wiggins said "Froome's time will come.....'" missing out a 'but over my dead body' means they will only really ride together with Wiggo as TDF team leader.

I reckon he should go for some of the classic races (not necessarily cobbled ones) - he ought to enjoy them and get a lot of affection from the crowds for doing so. Then focus on TTing and being a super-dom too.

Froome will be all set to defend the TdF next year and would be the most fancied person at the minute but I think it will be very hard for him to retain the crown given the likes of Quintana, Uran^2 & possibly Nibali.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus

I'm sure after his win last year, Wiggins said that "Froome's day will come, and I'll hopefully be there to do the work for him to do it" or something to that effect.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Has Wiggins publicly acknowledged Froome's win (ie a congratulations)? I saw an article on SKY about celebs and well-to-do's who have congratulated him...Wiggins name was conspicuous by it's absence....

Is there really that much bad blood going on here.....?

I too think Brad should go for the Classics as they suit him far more than mountainous races. Those and target TT's (worlds TT for sure) as he's close to Martin in speed. Either that or He'll jump ship to another team (Garmin maybe where he was happy before SKY??) or even possibly go back to the track.........................or retire?

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Has Wiggins publicly acknowledged Froome's win (ie a congratulations)? I saw an article on SKY about celebs and well-to-do's who have congratulated him...Wiggins name was conspicuous by it's absence....

Is there really that much bad blood going on here.....?

I too think Brad should go for the Classics as they suit him far more than mountainous races. Those and target TT's (worlds TT for sure) as he's close to Martin in speed. Either that or He'll jump ship to another team (Garmin maybe where he was happy before SKY??) or even possibly go back to the track.........................or retire?

No, this whole Froome vs. Wiggins thing is ridiculous.

I haven't seen the article, but I'm guessing Knees or Uran haven't come out and congratulated him either? They're team mates, surely he'd do it by text or phone call or at the next training camp. Or maybe they have the kind of relationship where mutual backslapping simply isn't part of their dynamic and as pros they just got on with it. Who knows? But Brad doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would want to bask in someone else's reflected glory by hogging column inches to get himself "linked in". Why would he need to?

I don't have a first clue as to Wiggo's future, but there's more than enough on the Tour calender to satisfy both him and Froome I'd have thought, especially if Brad was being sincere when he said he might not go through another Grand Tour training cycle again. I just don't see why he would have any reason to consider leaving Sky right now.

Slaav

Guru
Although I hate football almost with a passion (More what it stands for in this modern self obsessed day) an appropriate analogy may be picking an England football team? Plenty of 'cracking' strikers to pick from and two or three genuienly World Class chaps :smile:

Now, how do you play them? How would you keep them if it was not the National Team and they could move around to (eg) Real or Barca etc?

The issue is, they are all three NOT identical players/strikers... One is more an attacking midfielder who can be relied upon to keep going every day and all day (Wiggo), one is an out and out striker (Froome) who can happily slot back in to Midfield if injury dictates and (eg) two brilliant all singing, all dancing attacking midfielders but not quite proven at the top level (Uran and Porte fro example.)

I imagine Sir DB would find a way of getting them all into one team? Sir Alex seemed to doa pretty good job with egos and tantrums over the years - albeit not always with 100% success :smile:

With the different races on offer, the long season and very certain differences in the respective strengths of (eg) Wiggo, Froome and Uran (who is rumoured to be Ronaldo and on his way anyway,) I can imagine that with Sky's backing and brilliant overall squad, the make up of the various races will determine who is #1 in each team? As long as DB can manage the egos etc.

If there is a very TT based TdF next year, then lean towards Wiggo but Froome as holder would simply have to be default #1 unless massive TT miles. If hilly, then Froome? Leaving Giro and Vuelta for Uran/Porte or whoever loses out as top dog in the TdF?

I imagine Wiggo only has a few years left at the very top and he doesnt strike me as someone happy to be mediocre - although Super Dom and coming 2nd in TdF is something now that I believe he would do.... albeit unlikely to be required with their strength in depth? Wiggo seems to be having mind issues re the commitment and training required for GTs? If so, you would not want to flog Froome throughout the season surely?

Either way, GB TdF Champ 2012 1nd 2013! Who'd 'a thought it eh? :smile:

Now what was DB's goal again when forming Sky Pro Cycling???? And what would it be now....

thom

____
Now what was DB's goal again when forming Sky Pro Cycling???? And what would it be now....
One of this year's goals was to get podiums on all 3 Grand Tours. So far so good.
I think another would have involved the classics - the less said about that the better really...

Wiggo looks likely to go for the World TT this autumn. Tony Martin and Fabulous Cancellara will be having a crack too I think so that will be an awesome competition.

Will DB look to the ToBritain with perhaps a consolation prize for JTL ?

albion

Guru
Nope, Wiggins is just brooding.

He has had near 100% control over his career and probably battled to the end to get the 2013 leadership.
I'm sure he will adapt to a new reality, and far better silence than chancing to show some escaping bitterness

The hint of retiring quite shows the impact on his persona.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
One of this year's goals was to get podiums on all 3 Grand Tours. So far so good.
I think another would have involved the classics - the less said about that the better really...

Wiggo looks likely to go for the World TT this autumn. Tony Martin and Fabulous Cancellara will be having a crack too I think so that will be an awesome competition.

Will DB look to the ToBritain with perhaps a consolation prize for JTL ?

Would love to see JTL retain his ToB title...not seen enough of him this yr.

Top Bottom