Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Tour de France winner accused of not being Bradley Wiggins.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport...ed-of-not-being-bradley-wiggins-2013072276396

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
he has under-performed certainly in the races he has done. I'm not sure why because he had/has talent. Anyone with some inside info?

I don't think anyone was expecting great things of him as a first yr neo-pro. It's like an apprenticeship, you have to serve your dues and do your time before you're put forward for greater duties. Also I think the training and racing tempo is much higher than what he might have been used to, so it may take him a fair while to settle into the role.
I suspect we'll see much more of him next yr or maybe 2015, once the SKY boffins have had him on a program for a while.

400bhp

Guru
I can't see Wiggins competing seriously for another Grand Tour.

His body language in the interview and the words used told me that the TdF last year was his mental and physical limit.

U

User169

I don't think anyone was expecting great things of him as a first yr neo-pro. It's like an apprenticeship, you have to serve your dues and do your time before you're put forward for greater duties. Also I think the training and racing tempo is much higher than what he might have been used to, so it may take him a fair while to settle into the role.
I suspect we'll see much more of him next yr or maybe 2015, once the SKY boffins have had him on a program for a while.

Could be imagining it, but I thought I read that he'd withdraw from Kerrigan's training schedules?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Could be imagining it, but I thought I read that he'd withdraw from Kerrigan's training schedules?
I read that too. I also read an anecdotal story of his partying but that may be just smoke, rumour and salacious gossip.
19th in the World Champs last autumn suggested he had potential to do better than he has so far.

zizou

Veteran
Part of it will be the step up in standard but even accounting for that he has been pretty woeful with several DNFs and seemingly not being capable of doing much domestique work either (Edmonson on the other hand has done pretty well in his first year). In the British RR champs the course should have suited him but he was nowhere - from early on he was languishing in the main group with the domestic riders and top amateurs before chucking it. It wasn't that he was being outclassed by the likes of Cavendish, Millar and Stannard but also the likes of Wilkinson, House, Barker etc

It sometimes looks like an attitude problem but i've also read that he lost alot of weight (something like 9kg) in about 2 or 3 months on joining Sky. That would take a fair bit of dedication as he had already lost a fair chunk of weight the year before with Endura and reaped the benefits and had a good balance of power to weight for the short punchy climbs of the TofB and World Champs course. Perhaps he has lost too much weight too quickly and lost some power which taken away his strengths as a rider?

U

User169

Mollema won in Boxmeer this evening. This is the one where Cav's invite was withdrawn: not entirely sure that reflects well on the organisers.

Froome won in Aalst.

I am sure i heard somewhere that Wiggo was going for the TOB. Anyone else hear that?
He's still an amazing athlete and i have no doubt Sky still have a place for him with two leaders over the 3 grand tours and other events.
Worth noting though that Wiggo is not a Classics rider. He's far from it. His consistency over a period of time is his forte. One powerhouse performance that a classic race requires is for the Sagans, Cancellara's and Boonen's.

More importantly though can anyone actually wait for Froome vs Nibali @ TDF 2014?? :hyper:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Mollema won in Boxmeer this evening. This is the one where Cav's invite was withdrawn: not entirely sure that reflects well on the organisers.
It never got as far as an invite.
The organisers said they had removed Cav from the list of potential invitees, which was the first Cav had heard of any possibility that he might ride there.

U

User169

It never got as far as an invite.
The organisers said they had removed Cav from the list of potential invitees, which was the first Cav had heard of any possibility that he might ride there.

Yes - you're quite right. Probably trying to drum up a bit of interest for the race!

Top Bottom