Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I thought I read that his programme would be Tour of Poland, ToB and the Worlds ITT.

Wiggo is confirmed for Poland according to the official race website, but not the Sky website, which doesn't have details up yet.

If Wiggo's doing the ToB, does that mean he won't be representing Sky in the World TTT? Saving himself for the individual TT?

thom

____
It's an interesting comparison. Froome is certainly not as popular among the British non-cycling-fan public as Wiggins, which is kind of understandable. I really don't get the "impossible to like" thing from people who consider themselves cycling fans though.

Maybe Froome should grow some comedy facial hair and start hanging out with celebrities.

People are still getting to know the TdF, road bike racing in general and Chris Froome in particular, which is why there are a lot of unperceptive simplistic opinions on him.
In the UK people know the Olympics, they know Wiggins has medals galore and that his name has been around for years and years in the wider sporting consciousness. It is easy to support him and he has helped generate interest in road racing, even more so that Cav (who has no Olympic medals...).

Froome has more talent and potential as a GC rider but despite his already superior road racing palmares, people think the Olympics is the top and somehow it ought to endow Wiggins with a divine right to lead Sky for example. In a sense that undermines Wiggins' TdF victory last year - his transition to a GC contender from the track is unprecedented.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Tbh, I don't much care that Froome hasn't captured the imagination of the non-cycling-fan public. I've long since come to terms with the fact that cycling is a minority interest sport in the UK, and I found the adulation for Wiggo last year slightly bizarre. It's more a case of back to normal this year.

I am disappointed to hear that some British fans weren't giving him vocal support on the route though. You'd think that people who made the effort to go out to France to see the race would be a bit more knowledgeable and enthusiastic. However, I'm encouraged to believe that the people johnr saw aren't necessarily representative of all British cycling fans...

t14.jpg

thom

____
I am disappointed to hear that some British fans weren't giving him vocal support on the route though. You'd think that people who made the effort to go out to France to see the race would be a bit more knowledgeable and enthusiastic. However, I'm encouraged to believe that the people johnr saw aren't necessarily representative of all British cycling fans...
What I find bizarre are the people on this forum who can't see Froome's superiority over Wiggins - see the thread speculating on whether Wiggins will ride the tour with Froome next year. Or don't if you value your sanity...

VamP

Banned
It's an interesting comparison. Froome is certainly not as popular among the British non-cycling-fan public as Wiggins, which is kind of understandable. I really don't get the "impossible to like" thing from people who consider themselves cycling fans though.

Maybe Froome should grow some comedy facial hair and start hanging out with celebrities.

I don't really like Froome.

There I said it. I don't think he's a cheat, and I think he's an amazingly strong all rounder. Yet I still don't like him. I am not sure why. I don't think a comedy beard would do the trick.

Peteaud

Veteran
I went and shouted myself silly for froome.

Didnt really get him last year as he looked awkward, but, this year the more ive seen of him the more i like him.

Decent, honest sportsman who is one of our best riders.

Long may he continue.

Oh and he is just a machine...

From Sky
.Far from taking a break, Chris Froome and Richie Porte rode the Natourcriterium van Aalst last night and sealed an unofficial 1-2 victory for Team Sky!

mrbadexample

I don't really like Froome.

I find him quite hard to like too. He needs a bit more personality, for me.

Having said that, I've warmed to him quite a lot during this Tour because of the manner in which he won, i.e. in style. Whilst I was delighted with last year's result, it wasn't terribly exciting - Wiggo was basically dragged round for the win. Froome had to man up a bit more when things got tough, and the mountain stage wins were exceptional. I'm pretty much converted. :thumbsup:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't rate whether I could go down the boozer with a rider as high on my priorities. Liking and disliking people in the public eye based upon occasional soundbites is a fairly rough and ready approach anyay.
Having said that, I have found Froome pleasantly mannered, humble and self-effacing.
He was more dignified in his answers to the dope-obsessed journos than most would have been, and he showed himself to be a cyclist who isn't afraid to have a go even when he didn't need to and couldn't sustain it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't rate whether I could go down the boozer with a rider as high on my priorities. Liking and disliking people in the public eye based upon occasional soundbites is a fairly rough and ready approach anyay.
Having said that, I have found Froome pleasantly mannered, humble and self-effacing.
He was more dignified in his answers to the dope-obsessed journos than most would have been, and he showed himself to be a cyclist who isn't afraid to have a go even when he didn't need to and couldn't sustain it.
Fair play to him. He played some tricky bouncers with very soft hands. I have enormous respect for him but, as the French might say, je ne le sens pas.

Top Bottom