Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I am sure i heard somewhere that Wiggo was going for the TOB. Anyone else hear that?
He's still an amazing athlete and i have no doubt Sky still have a place for him with two leaders over the 3 grand tours and other events.
Worth noting though that Wiggo is not a Classics rider. He's far from it. His consistency over a period of time is his forte. One powerhouse performance that a classic race requires is for the Sagans, Cancellara's and Boonen's.

More importantly though can anyone actually wait for Froome vs Nibali @ TDF 2014?? :hyper:
I thought I read that his programme would be Tour of Poland, ToB and the Worlds ITT.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Some great photos from the tour : http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/visuel/...-boucle-en-images-insolites_3451014_3242.html
including a couple of Quintana's family in Columbia.

That shot of his father crying with practically every kid in his home town around behind him, is amazing. No-one seems to have remarked of Quintana, that he's not just 'South American' or 'Colombian', he seems clearly of mostly indigenous descent. You can see the contrast with Uran, for example.

That shot of his father crying with practically every kid in his home town around behind him, is amazing. No-one seems to have remarked of Quintana, that he's not just 'South American' or 'Colombian', he seems clearly of mostly indigenous descent. You can see the contrast with Uran, for example.

Those photo's do seem to suggest that Froome pushed Porte around the course.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I thought I'd mentioned this but maybe not... My dad used to work in South America and still has close friends in Colombia, and according to them, Quintana is not all that popular among metropolitan Colombians of European descent - he's very much seen as an "Indian", rather than "one of them". Uran is much more popular.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
my mate, finally got his pictures on his pc... my two fav froome pics and a fashionable young man...

froome start.jpg

froome tt.jpg

string vest.jpg

U

User169

Spare a thought for Lieuwe Westra..

"...who completed 3,376 of the Tour's 3,404km, only to step off his bike and have his race number removed on the Champs-Élysées, with less than 40km to complete. Having ridden through illness for three days, the Dutchman was dropped by the peloton and seems to have elected to abandon rather than endure the humiliation of being lapped on the famousParisienne avenue and disqualified for finishing outside the time limit. The first cyclist to quit on the final stage of the Tour since 1977, he was understandably distraught: "How hard can a sport be?"he tweeted. "I kept going for 3 days while sick just to finish the race, then got dropped on the finishing circuit. I can tell you.....""

I thought I'd mentioned this but maybe not... My dad used to work in South America and still has close friends in Colombia, and according to them, Quintana is not all that popular among metropolitan Colombians of European descent - he's very much seen as an "Indian", rather than "one of them". Uran is much more popular.
I was opposite a large Colombian contingent on the Champs on Sunday. They kept up a loud chorus of 'Quintana, Quintana' all day, shouting down the Sagan fans whenever the opportunity arose. They got lots of 'chapeaux' checks from the cheer-leaders in the caravan and spent an hour or so mid-afternoon organising a passable Mexican wave. Despite the large number of Brit flags, not much vocal support for Froome.

I almost feel sorry for Froome: easy to admire his achievements, but impossible to like. A kiosk proprietor gave me a free donut after the race because 'you must be sad that Cav lost'. He acknowledged Froome's victory with a shrug.

Peteaud

Veteran
I was opposite a large Colombian contingent on the Champs on Sunday. They kept up a loud chorus of 'Quintana, Quintana' all day, shouting down the Sagan fans whenever the opportunity arose. They got lots of 'chapeaux' checks from the cheer-leaders in the caravan and spent an hour or so mid-afternoon organising a passable Mexican wave. Despite the large number of Brit flags, not much vocal support for Froome.

I almost feel sorry for Froome: easy to admire his achievements, but impossible to like. A kiosk proprietor gave me a free donut after the race because 'you must be sad that Cav lost'. He acknowledged Froome's victory with a shrug.

When I went past the Colombians they had lost the plot and had some kind of makeshift drumming contest.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

It's an interesting comparison. Froome is certainly not as popular among the British non-cycling-fan public as Wiggins, which is kind of understandable. I really don't get the "impossible to like" thing from people who consider themselves cycling fans though.

Maybe Froome should grow some comedy facial hair and start hanging out with celebrities.

Top Bottom