Tour de France 2015 - may contain nuts and SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Assuming that men are generally faster than women, it could be interesting to see the teamwork, with maybe some men's teams colluding to give some women's teams an advantage, but to their own detriment. It would all get a bit complex and confusing.

I remember Sarah Storey overtaking most, if not all the guys, so that would be interesting if more woman can do it too!!

And yes, that was the paralympics, I get it, hence why I say 'more woman'.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Decent write up from INRNG, a couple of good observations. Inclined to agree with him about this business of Quintana losing it in Zeland, it's just the maths.

http://inrng.com/2015/07/the-moment-race-was-won-tour-2015/#more-25983

winjim

Smash the cistern
I remember Sarah Storey overtaking most, if not all the guys, so that would be interesting if more woman can do it too!!

And yes, that was the paralympics, I get it, hence why I say 'more woman'.
How about a totally mixed race? Teams of nine, maximum six of either gender. Each gender has individual GC, points and KOM/QOM plus award for best team. Could be tactically awesome.

Anyway, does anyone really know exactly how differences in gender physiology would play out over a three week grand tour?

I've decided that I'd like to see the following changes for 2016:

- Get rid of the podium "girls". I'm sure they could find enough people from the sponsors or VIPs or even bloody children to carry the flowers etc if required.
- Introduce more women's cycling on the rest days. A day of moderate climbs and technical descents and some sprints. A challenge for QOM in the Alps. Finally, a proper race into Paris, concluding with the traditional sprint finish on the Champs-Elysée.
- I can't remember what the third one was, but I'll let them get on with those two for now.
OK - but why 'moderate climbs'? Why can this event not stand alone ( and not interfere with 'Le Tour de France') if it is popular - ultimately leading to males and females going head to head over three weeks, should it be thought fair so to do...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Off the top of my head, what would happen if the podium presenters were eminent cyclists? Same sex kisses might be a little too far for the public but man-to-woman and woman-to-man might be a way of including cyclists of both sexes together and it would get rid of the irrelevant podium girls. Just off the top of my head, I repeat....

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Off the top of my head, what would happen if the podium presenters were eminent cyclists? Same sex kisses might be a little too far for the public but man-to-woman and woman-to-man might be a way of including cyclists of both sexes together and it would get rid of the irrelevant podium girls. Just off the top of my head, I repeat....

'There is outrage tonight after one of the newly formed Team Cyclechat riders snogged Bernard Hinault on the Podium, leading to a punch up....' :giggle:

screenman

Legendary Member
Seems that a few on here are happy to see some people lose their jobs.

Va Va Froome

Über Member
To be fairthey scrapped 'grid girls' from the 24hrs of Le Mans race (and the other World Endurance Championship races) and that's a historic race with traditions stretching back years and years. They stopped them this year and it came pretty much out of the blue.

The podium girls are a relic of another time but objectively preferable to crackpot politicians or dignitaries with an agenda that you see doing trophy presentations on some F1 race podiums! :P

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Quintana could only make up a minute yesterday in his best terrain, the mountains. There's no way he would be able to make up the remaining 70ish seconds on the flat with a sprint finish.
A team was lapped at the Tour Series at Canary Wharf, something like 1.4km... why not a similar gap or more at the Tour de France?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Totally this. Unless number three was something rubbish. There's not going to be a full blown women's tour overnight, but adding a few rides here and there, and especially with some climbing, would be a great way to go.
There was a women's tour until a few years ago (2010?) won by Nicole Cooke (x2) and Emma Pooley.

Ended due to lack of sponsorship.

Personally I find La Course a feeble sop to women's racing, but I guess you can't argue with the economics.

Top Bottom