Tour de France 2017 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
According to an article in Cycling News Mikel Landa thinks he will be riding the TdF. Obviously, Thomas does as well. I can't see them both going as support rider/plan B to Froome unless Wout Poels doesn't make it.
For what it's worth - my 9 for Sky: Froome, Thomas, Poels/Nieve, SL Henao, Stannard, Rowe, Kennaugh, Kwiatkowski and Kiryienka

mirrorman

Aru must be in with a chance?

dragon72

Guru
Maybe, even after 15 or so years of following the sport, I just don't get the subtleties of pushbike racing.
I can understand complaining about rivals if there has been some sort of blocking, or taking advantage of clear misfortune. I can also understand moaning about fellow members of a small group not doing their fair share on the front to keep the pace high.
But I just can't see what Porte's beef is in this case.
Sounds like Porte is saying he's angry because Froome and others accelerated leaving him isolated on the climb?
Well, boo hoo, Richie. You should have ridden as fast or faster than your rivals.
Only teammates can leave you isolated, not your rivals - that's their job, no?
Or am I missing something?

jarlrmai

Veteran
10 seconds bonus is what won it for Fuglsang.

So reverse the bonuses on that stage. and he would have won I think.

Actually maybe not...

It's too early for win bonus GC calculations.

jarlrmai

Veteran
CdD Time bonuses 10-6-4 seconds

10 seconds in it for GC

if Porte wins on Mont du Chat he gets 10 seconds and not 6 so 4 seconds extra
But Fuglsang gets 6 instead of 10 so 4 seconds less

8 seconds the difference Fugls wins by 2 seconds.

Check my working.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Porte needs to remember that they're not team-mates any more. He also seemed to forget this last year on stage 19 when he was towing Froome up the final climb after his fall.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ok, here's a stupid and OT question about bike racing. The race doesn't start for a few weeks so what's the harm?

At hill climbing speeds, is the drafting effect all that significant? Or is the effect of one rider towing another up a climb primarily a pacing/psychological one? If it is, then surely the availability of stats on the stem, and the discipline of pro riders should mean that effect is pretty small?
depends how slow they are going, but i know that i can draft at 12 mph and obtain some benefit on the flat, so the same would happen for a pro going up hill.
The team Sky tactic of riding a high tempo offers drafting opportunities but cancels out the chances of numerous attacks.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Porte was having a whinge in the post-race interview that they showed on ITV4. Ok, he was disappointed, but he came across badly. He seemed to think that Froome should have given up on his own ambitions and let him win because they used to be teammates!
I didn't see that but saw a report saying he thought the other teams were out to get him.
Of course they bloody well were...he was in yellow FFS. Froome, Fuglsang, ValvPiti, Aru all attacked him in aggressive, proper racing. Tit.

Adam4868

Guru
Pretty ironic from Porte I think,seeing as he's rode with sky and knows what pressure Froome has come under.Not just from other riders either ! I guess biased as I like Froome but really as the leader of the race(Porte) what do you expect,everyone's going to wait for you ?

Top Bottom