Tour de France 2017 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
When does it start?
Next July...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Did he get done for illegal modifications or did they turn a blind eye to that? Maybe they thought anyone mad enough to ride on a sandpaper saddle is already punishing themselves enough.
Gary Imlach suggested it may be technically legal with the saddle sponsors offering a half-dozen similar "TM2017TDFTT" saddles for sale for a few grand each.

The BBC are covering it? That's the biggest shock of the Tour. That they may have misinterpreted them racing less so.
I tried to listen to the BBC 5LSX digital radio commentary on one of the early stages like in previous years, rather than plug the office Freeview receiver in again, but it wasn't there. Identical cricket on two channels and no cycling.

I disagree. You try and go up those mountains like he did. Well deserved I say.
I think Barguil got another prize for that. Should have let de Gendt have the combativity, just for sheer distance and number of breakaways.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I disagree. You try and go up those mountains like he did. Well deserved I say.

I think Barguil got another prize for that. Should have let de Gendt have the combativity, just for sheer distance and number of breakaways.

Indeed. Two stage victories and a spotty jumper seem like reward enough for one person. I always thought the Combativity prize was essentially awarded for "heroic failure", although they gave it to Sagan last year.

I'm pretty certain this is not the first time the decision of whom to award the prize has been regarded as controversial.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Indeed. Two stage victories and a spotty jumper seem like reward enough for one person. I always thought the Combativity prize was essentially awarded for "heroic failure", although they gave it to Sagan last year.

I'm pretty certain this is not the first time the decision of whom to award the prize has been regarded as controversial.
They should ask us (or, more seriously) the general public

Buddfox

Veteran
I tried to listen to the BBC 5LSX digital radio commentary on one of the early stages like in previous years, rather than plug the office Freeview receiver in again, but it wasn't there. Identical cricket on two channels and no cycling.

It was only available via a link on the BBC Sport website, not via the usual Radio 5 website

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It was only available via a link on the BBC Sport website, not via the usual Radio 5 website
...and I assume not even a streaming address that can be put into an internet radio. I'll stick to broadcast media for broadcasts, rather than using up any of the office broadband. Would it kill the BBC to broadcast it instead of one of the two identical cricket streams? :crazy:

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I was listening to Alan Brazil on Talksport this morning and there was a lot of discussion about Chris Froome and why he doesn't receive the plaudits he deserves in Britain.
He doesn't seek publicity
He was born in Kenya and lives in Monaco
Jiffygate and TUEs
He's not a rebel or have a quirky personality (Wiggins and Cav)
People are becoming blasé about him winning the TdF
He wasn't the first 'Brit' to win the Tour
He spends very little time in the UK
He's not a track cyclist

Should he promote himself more for the British public or just continue as he is? Does it secretly upset him that he is not an icon with the British public?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I would think most of the british public think ... oh.... ok , hes won a bike race four times... I doubt the majority of the public actually know very much about bike racing

I'd agree with this. Wiggins had the benefit of being the first Brit to win, he has the advantage of being instantly recognisable, and he won Olympic gold for GB in the same year... and even with all that, he's still not that much of an icon to the general public in Britain. I just don't think road racing is a sport that the British public really get in big numbers... it's all a bit alien.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
"Does Froome care what the general public think and should he" is probably more relevant. He just won his 4th TdF who cares what his nationality is?

Top Bottom