Tour de France 2018 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've seen it reported that the riders will be setting off in 'waves', but that doesn't make any sense to me and I can't see the evidence for it in the official documentation.

I'm envisaging something more like the start of a cyclocross race, where the riders are 'gridded' according to league standings, but it's not like an F1 grid - they're all closely bunched up on the start line and all set off at the same time. A good grid position is a major advantage in CX races where it pays to be ahead of the bunch going into the first tight bend. For this Tour stage, they're starting at the foot of the Peyresourde and the road starts going uphill immediately, so being at the front will be an advantage for anyone who wants to attack from the gun.

Any team that has a number of riders high on GC will do very well out of this.

The likes of Warren Barguil and Pierre Rolland will want to target a stage like this but they'll most likely be stuck somewhere in the middle of the bunch, which will hamper their chances.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I've seen it reported that the riders will be setting off in 'waves'...
So it is a sportive after all, hopefully they'll have their numbers tied to their handlebars...

Standing start/neutralised zone/whatever. Utterly pointless.
Unless anyone thinks the top GC riders are going to knock their pans in alone for 65km in a head-to-head toe-to-toe WWF last-man-standing style - which is probably indicative of how drunk the people who came up with the idea must have been

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So it is a sportive after all...

They're not setting off in waves though, I think that was the reporter misunderstanding the concept (I think it was on Cycling News, so it seems likely). And it's definitely not what it says in the official documentation.

It does all sound a bit bonkers but I'm reserving judgment until I see how it works in practice.

Adam4868

Guru
The only thing that's exciting about this stage is seeing how the organisers are going to get all the riders in their ''correct" positions.

Adam4868

Guru
I love Carlton Kirby.....

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've seen it reported that the riders will be setting off in 'waves', but that doesn't make any sense to me and I can't see the evidence for it in the official documentation.

I'm envisaging something more like the start of a cyclocross race, where the riders are 'gridded' according to league standings, but it's not like an F1 grid - they're all closely bunched up on the start line and all set off at the same time. A good grid position is a major advantage in CX races where it pays to be ahead of the bunch going into the first tight bend. For this Tour stage, they're starting at the foot of the Peyresourde and the road starts going uphill immediately, so being at the front will be an advantage for anyone who wants to attack from the gun.

Any team that has a number of riders high on GC will do very well out of this.

The likes of Warren Barguil and Pierre Rolland will want to target a stage like this but they'll most likely be stuck somewhere in the middle of the bunch, which will hamper their chances.
Doesn't this mean there's a strong incentive for support riders to look after their GC positions in the stages leading up to this? If that means they're not so free to bury themselves for their leaders it should lead to more open and unpredictable racing on all the key stages.

Top Bottom