Tour de France 2018 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What follows may be total sloblock.

Stage 17 is very short, about 40 miles, with severe climbs and a mountain top finish (I think I'm on safe ground there). They'll want the leaders to kick off from the start, so I think the arrangement is akin to the starting grid in motor racing, preventing a quick breakaway from low-ranking riders and clearing the way for one or more of the leaders to really go for it.
If they think that then they have obviously never watched a race; they expect the leaders to go full out for 65km up 3 mountains and the rest of the team to pootle along together further back?

Adam4868

Guru
If they think that then they have obviously never watched a race; they expect the leaders to go full out for 65km up 3 mountains and the rest of the team to pootle along together further back?
Panic will be from the sprinters trying to make the time cut.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I wonder if Warren Barguil is riding for a place or just for shíts and giggles and the odd stage win. Waste of his talent, if so.

I vaguely recall he said that one of his reasons for stepping down from a WT team to a PC team was so he didn't have to deal with the pressure of being a GC contender. Shame, and yes, a massive waste of his talents. Like Pinot, he's got the legs but he hasn't got the head. He truly is the new Tommy Voeckler.

Bardet by contrast has the mindset of a winner but I suspect is never going to be strong enough in the time trials to be a GC contender. However, this one does look to be reasonably well suited to him. As long as his team doesn't cock up the TTT too badly, he could be in with a real chance. Interesting.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What follows may be total sloblock.

Stage 17 is very short, about 40 miles, with severe climbs and a mountain top finish (I think I'm on safe ground there). They'll want the leaders to kick off from the start, so I think the arrangement is akin to the starting grid in motor racing, preventing a quick breakaway from low-ranking riders and clearing the way for one or more of the leaders to really go for it.

I reckon it's more to ensure that none of the GC contenders are disadvantaged by being trapped at the back of the peloton while someone makes an attack. It's such a short stage, it is going to be brutal racing from the moment the flag goes down, and if you're not near the front of the pack at the start, you'll be out of contention very quickly.

Last year's 100km stage to Foix was insane, as was the 109km stage to Alpe d'Huez in 2011. This one is even shorter, and could be even more exciting to watch.

I reckon it's more to ensure that none of the GC contenders are disadvantaged by being trapped at the back of the peloton while someone makes an attack. It's such a short stage, it is going to be brutal racing from the moment the flag goes down, and if you're not near the front of the pack at the start, you'll be out of contention very quickly.

Last year's 100km stage to Foix was insane, as was the 109km stage to Alpe d'Huez in 2011. This one is even shorter, and could be even more exciting to watch.
It's up to them to make sure they get themselves properly positioned. What about those targeting KOM who are lower down on GC?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's up to them to make sure they get themselves properly positioned. What about those targeting KOM who are lower down on GC?
And the green jersey, im sure they will be looking for points at the traditional end of stage sprint.

On a serious note, it will make it harder for teams like Sky to get a big train rolling up the hill, as their riders will be spread throughout the field.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I was thinking that this is probably something that has come at the request of the teams, and the organisers have complied so they don’t kick up a fuss at the short stage format.

Normally, you’d expect the riders to be quite good at sorting it out among themselves, but this stage is so short and hard, it’s going to be a real scrap for position.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the German team came down the night before and laid out their beach towels on the start line. </casual racism>

Last edited:
We're flying out to Vienna for our summer tour on that day so won't be able to watch it live:sad: We're in a hotel near the airport for the first night so hope we can find some highlights on telly without seeing the result.

And the green jersey, im sure they will be looking for points at the traditional end of stage sprint.

On a serious note, it will make it harder for teams like Sky to get a big train rolling up the hill, as their riders will be spread throughout the field.
Depends if they are just off in waves, one after the other - or if they put time limits between the groups. I'm sure SKY will have worked out if Froome waits for his train or if he just looks at his stem for the 65km

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I presume it will be similar to the gridding at the start of a cyclocross race - ie riders will be called to the line in order, but in every other respect it will be no different to any other mass start.

Setting them off in waves would be silly - it's not a sportive, you know.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My guess: The riders will invent their own ad-hoc neutralised zone in which the teams sort themselves out, and then get going.
I'll be surprised if the teams cooperate that much. Possibly a few of the teams with numbers near the front in places 11-40 will collaborate to hunt down chasers until their domestiques can move up, but it'll all depend on the GC.

Top Bottom