Tour de France 2019 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Amongst the many amusing tales I've read about Tours past, this one stands high. Be careful what you wish for:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Schönbacher

I think you'll appreciate the final line in the article.
After Schönbacher went 220 km/h, standing on skis on top of a car, this record was included in the Guinness Book of Records.[6]

Legend.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Heres an interesting fact that i never knew. Do any other races do this, other than an elimination race on the track.

“The Tour de France organisers did not like the attention that last-placed finishers got, so for the 1980 Tour de France they added the rule that after some stages the last-placed cyclist in the general classification would be removed from the race”
The background there was that there used to be an extensive series of criteriums in towns and villages up and down France following the Tour, with results largely pre-determined. The latest Lanterne Rouge was said to command an appearance fee similar to the Tour winner, hence the determined competition for the "title". This is what the Tour organisation didn't like so much.

The decline of the criterium circuit (mid 1980s?) is a story I don't really know, but by reducing the prestige of the Lanterne Rouge it resolved the Tour's problem.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure the trick the Tour played in 1980 was really going to help. Surely it would just add to the intrigue?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think Alaphilippe might surprise us still for a few days yet. Don't write him off. He seems to be on top form and let's not forget that he also is a good climber.
Allez Jullian!!
Yep, he's converted me for sure. I have the impression that what he's really doing is working out what he's capable of, never having raced a GT for GC before. At the same time he's taking pressure off Mas, and can easily slip into super dom mode if necessary.

But if it works for him this year it wouldn't be the strangest thing that's ever happened.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
27km of lumpy time trial with some bits up to 10%.
This should shake a few things up. GT should go well if he's got the form and the other GC contenders will need to step up if they don't want to ship more time to Ineos.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Gotta to be a bit more to it than that, which just sounds like a trigger.

My experience is these things are never as a result of a single issue. Different teams have different management styles and different focuses. He took the moolah to leave BMC and join BM, knowing they were well off the pace on TT technology compared to BMC but presumably with promises they would up their game
You can imagine how the past few months have played out as BM probably kept promising better TT tech and failing to deliver it. Trust issues, undelivered promises....Dennis is, apparently, quite an outspoken guy and it seems this all got on top of him

Anyone watch La Course. Cruel on Spratt but Vos continues her resurgence with a brilliant well timed finish.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My experience is these things are never as a result of a single issue. Different teams have different management styles and different focuses. He took the moolah to leave BMC and join BM, knowing they were well off the pace on TT technology compared to BMC but presumably with promises they would up their game
You can imagine how the past few months have played out as BM probably kept promising better TT tech and failing to deliver it. Trust issues, undelivered promises....Dennis is, apparently, quite an outspoken guy and it seems this all got on top of him
Still doesn’t really excuse his behaviour. I hope he feels very silly this morning.
the guy in yellow gets an off the peg skin suit to wear. I know Sky had issues with these in previous years. Sometimes you just have to get on a deal with these issues.

Top Bottom