Tour de France 2019 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ridiculous, race should have moved finish line to Val d'Isere, not just stopped half way down, Froggies will riot at JA being conned when he would have made time back on descent.

Can only be moved to somewhere that has the timing system in place. The last place before the Tignes climb (where the problem is) was the top of the Isoard

JA was lucky. Yes he'd made up a few seconds on the descent but he would have shipped more on the Tignes climb. He's still in second, he wouldn't have been in second had the race finished in the planned location

alicat

Legendary Member
Ridiculous, race should have moved finish line to Val d'Isere, not just stopped half way down, Froggies will riot at JA being conned when he would have made time back on descent.

I wouldn't have liked to make that call on the fly.

iandg

Legendary Member
Can only be moved to somewhere that has the timing system in place. The last place before the Tignes climb (where the problem is) was the top of the Isoard

JA was lucky. Yes he'd made up a few seconds on the descent but he would have shipped more on the Tignes climb. He's still in second, he wouldn't have been in second had the race finished in the planned location

I like a positive spin - and apparently helps Bardet in the mountain competition.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

Unless he was saving some energy, knowing he could make back a lot of time on the descent, and then go full gas on the Cat 1 climb up to Tignes.

Rezillo

TwoSheds

iandg

Legendary Member
Unless he was saving some energy, knowing he could make back a lot of time on the descent, and then go full gas on the Cat 1 climb up to Tignes.
Aye, a different type of climb altogether - shorter and a flat last few km. Way Bernal was going I don't doubt he wouldn't be in yellow, but can't be certain of the GT/JA time gap

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider

Well I'm glad I didn't go through with my plan to ride up to view the race near the foot of the Tignes climb (this spot itself being a hefty climb up from Bourg St Maurice). I aborted that as I didn't fancy descending my ski station road, given how much rock debris was deposited in last night's storm....even on 4Season tyres! Hopefully by tomorrow it'll be fully cleared.

Tomorrow, there's heavy rain forecast for the time the Cormet de Roselend will be traversed. That descent is fairly prone to mudslides and temporary storm-induced over-the-road rivers, being in a ravine and having some serious hairpinage getting down some of the steeper drops in the valley.

So there could be more disruption tomorrow. I've never done Val Thorens, but believe it's more of an open/motorway-type grind-climb, but who knows what the weather has in store.

Last edited:
Top Bottom