Tour de France 2020 NO SPOILERS !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bernal abandoning is a spoiler ? Well I never 🙄
Not that I'm bothered but was it me that originally posted it.
It IS a pretty significant race event, so technically yes!
But he was way out of the running, and unlikely to affect anyone else's race.

So as a senior officer in the Spoiler Police, I'm happy to let you off with a cuff-round-the-ear on this one; but watch it Sonny!

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
It IS a pretty significant race event, so technically yes!
But he was way out of the running, and unlikely to affect anyone else's race.

So as a senior officer in the Spoiler Police, I'm happy to let you off with a cuff-round-the-ear on this one; but watch it Sonny!
Thanks dad won't happen again...:whistle:

Gotta be the best commentary of the tour,

What type of biscuits?
I don't know,
That's disappointing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Who was this?

I mean I can forgive mis-identifying riders, but not knowing the type of biscuits is unforgivably unprofessional.
I think it was Ned talking to Dave, they were passing a monestry and Ned was saying how the Monks paid their way by producing 350kg of biscuits every few months. It was Daves response when he didn't know the type 🤣

Millar and Boulting are the kings of misapplied analogies/metaphors*
e.g. last week referring to domestiques peeling off and wilting on a climb; "... and then he'll pull the pin." What, like on a grenade??
Ned is probably worse, but I can't remember any recent examples. Please bring back the Suitcase of Courage - at least that made sense!!!

But otherwise, I like them. Rendell needs to stick to a typewriter; what a nauseating, affected speaking style he has. We don't CARE how good your pronunciation is! Bleagh.

*this is the wrong word, someone help me out?!

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Yeah, whoops.
Blocked !!!!! :laugh:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
As a bit of light relief here's an interesting article on Inrng about French language and words in cycling.

https://inrng.com/2020/09/false-friends/

Interestingly it points out that several of the French words that are used in English are not actually used in French. The English term for a team mate who works for others is a domestique, a French word. But in French it’s an équipier.

The article includes a reproduction of l'Auto from 1911 that includes the first ever use of the term "domestique" to describe a cyclist (not intended as a compliment). Maurice Brocco had been hiring out his services for a fee to riders who were struggling. The article in l'Auto says: His comrades eventually gave him the nickname of "domestique". Desgrange kicked him off the race.
A bit like (can't remember who) described Didier Deschamps as a water carrier - albeit one who helped France win the Worlsd Cup by doing the hard yards.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Millar and Boulting are the kings of misapplied analogies/metaphors*
e.g. last week referring to domestiques peeling off and wilting on a climb; "... and then he'll pull the pin." What, like on a grenade??
Yes. That one sort of makes sense: when they can keep pace no longer, they "pull the pin", give one last almighty effort for a few seconds and then their leg muscles "explode", leaving them almost static for a bit... It's a similar but more dramatic metaphor than "popping".

There are some they misapply but I don't think that's one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Popping" like a balloon makes sense - the balloon shrivels away harmlessly. Popping like a grenade? less so ...

I'm not granting a pardon on this one - they've mangled their metaphors, guilty as charged!!!
Really? Is it always a harmless shrivel? A team riding themselves to explosion on the front does some damage - often to their own leader if it's Movistar in past years!

It makes a change from "the man with the hammer" and "out go the lights" anyway :-)

A team riding themselves to explosion on the front does some damage
Noooooooooo! I think I was pretty clear:
Dying, fizzling out, fading ... get your own thesaurus for other terms!

Maybe they meant "pull the plug", and make a gurgling sound like bathwater.
Yes :okay: that's where this pull thing started - until DaveandNed mangled it!

Top Bottom