Tour de France 2022 with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru

Adam4868

Guru
Mad how many teams are playing the "were not even considering GC" I mean leaving Yates out and going with Matthews and Groenewegen really says this ! He must be dissapointed they feel he's not even up for a stage win ?

BEX are in a difficult situation. They are in a 6 way dog fight with Cofidis, Movistar, EF, Lotto and israel to avoid relegation from WT status. They all need UCI points! Management must feel points will be easier to gain from Matthews (MM) and Groenewegen (DG) and let Yates ride the Vuelta, where MM and DG are unlikely to gain piles of points.
Of course, by the time the Vuelta comes around, some teams will be in an even more desperate situation. Time will tell if BEX is one of those teams.

Adam4868

Guru
BEX are in a difficult situation. They are in a 6 way dog fight with Cofidis, Movistar, EF, Lotto and israel to avoid relegation from WT status. They all need UCI points! Management must feel points will be easier to gain from Matthews (MM) and Groenewegen (DG) and let Yates ride the Vuelta, where MM and DG are unlikely to gain piles of points.
Of course, by the time the Vuelta comes around, some teams will be in an even more desperate situation. Time will tell if BEX is one of those teams.
Yea take your point....excuse the pun !
I don't overthink the points thing as a rule but I guess it's tight.
How many points can you get as a top 5 finisher in tour stages....can't see bling doing better than that 😁

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't know much about the UCI points thingy but I've read that the TdF is not the place to look for them. It's much more competitive but no extra points. Better to go hunting stage wins in the Tour of Nowhere in Particular.

Something like that anyway

Adam4868

Guru
I'd of thought with Yates it was either knee playing up or lack of fitness.....it's easy to forget he won two stages of the Giro.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd of thought with Yates it was either knee playing up or lack of fitness.....it's easy to forget he won two stages of the Giro.
Personally, I find it easy to forget the entire Giro. ;)

Adam4868

Guru
To be honest with the Quick Step team,I'm not really that suprised about Cav.Jakobson is the fastest sprinter out there at the moment.
But no Remco, Allaphillipe also....sh1tty team by the looks of it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't know much about the UCI points thingy but I've read that the TdF is not the place to look for them. It's much more competitive but no extra points. Better to go hunting stage wins in the Tour of Nowhere in Particular.

Something like that anyway
I commend Inrng's weekly updates on the UCI league table, the latest of which is https://inrng.com/2022/06/uci-world-tour-21-june/ (and there should be another tomorrow).

Linked on there, there's an explanation of what race offers what points. If you're a stage hunter, you'd be better at the Tour unless you can also win one-day races. A Tour stage win offers 120 points, down to 5 for fifth, but stage wins in the smaller races aren't actually as pointy, with the highest offering only 60 points for a stage win somewhere like Suisse or Dauphiné, while UAE stages are only 40 points: a Tour stage is worth 3 UAE stages this year.

High GC finishes in a smaller stage race are worthwhile if a rider can't sustain it over 3 weeks (180 for 5th place in Poland, for example), but if they can read a one-day race, the two late August one-day classics at Hamburg and Bretagne offer 400 for the win all the way down to 2 for 60th (same as Donostia San Sebastian) and the Canadian GPs in early September are in the first division alongside Lombardia offering 500 down to 3 for 60th, so I can see why some team bosses might keep one or two riders away from the Tour to target those.

But I think no World Tour races overlap with the Tour this year, so otherwise, it's the best place to send your most likely winners, isn't it? So I also don't really understand Bike Exchange not putting in any GC challenge and taking both Matthews and Groenewegen, unless they're fearing one will crash or get disqualified. Movistar also look a bit complacent and they are not that far ahead of the relegation battle.

Adam4868

Guru

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-181600.png
    Screenshot_20220627-181600.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom