Tour de Yorkshire Sportive 01/05/16

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Well, the morning after my legs know I worked hard. 74 miles, 5000ft of climbing and I took 5 hours, averaging 14.5 mph. I am well pleased with that. Fantastic route by the way, lovely ride. Quite tough climbs at Harwood Dale and into the Forest Drive. One guy ground to a halt, couldn't unclip and literally tipped over in slow motion in the middle of a big group.

Fantastic day, well run and a lovely medal to go with it. Loved high fiving the kids en-route, spectators out clapping and the big pro TdY finish line (competitive sprint finish with a group of strangers - came 2nd by the way).

Loved it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

You lot still out there riding the course or what? ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You lot still out there riding the course or what? ;)
Ha ha!

My cousin got round in 4 hrs 20 mins. He took about 20 mins of breaks. He is quite serious about his riding and has a power meter on his bike. His average power over the whole event was 240 W, which I thought was pretty impressive. He said that he peaked at 800 W on one of the steepest climbs!

I did it in 6 hrs 20 mins. I wasn't trying to go quickly and took about 30 mins total at the 2 feed stations. Then I stopped on top of The Mount above Scarborough to have a bar of chocolate and enjoy the views. A man walking his Border Terrier started talking to me and we had a chat about the breed. (My sister and a niece of ours have BTs and I think that they are nice dogs.)

I thought that the first half of the route was great. I wasn't keen on the busy main roads to and from Filey though. I think it would have been nicer to have stayed on quieter roads.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Sounds like you enjoyed it. You're right though, to and from Filey wasn't great. Loads of great roads we could have stayed on North or West of Scarborough. A ride of two halves as they say. Still I enjoyed the time trial over Cayton Carrs. I latched onto the back of someone from Ilkley Cycling Club and was averaging about 30 mph for that stretch. As soon as I pulled out to take a turn on the front I died in the wind :sad:

Aren't the views amazing from Oliver's Mount? Breathtaking. Fantastic descent down from there though. I went like a maniac. Great day.

RegG

Über Member
My partners son did the 85km ride in 3 hours 25 minutes and climbed Harwood Dale in 6 minutes 5 seconds. He did really well, thoroughly enjoyed it and is looking forward to next year. I may even give the shorter route a try if I can get fit enough!

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

7 min 02 sec, nearly twice as long as David Millar took :whistle:
But then again I have never worn the yellow jersey.

To be honest I paced the first third of the ride and went steady. With hindsight I could have shifted my old ass up that one a bit faster. Tough hill though. I was looking at the sportcam pics this morning and loads of people pushing / walking up there so I thinking staying on is winning :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I could really feel the weight I have put on since last year! I am back to 13-9 from about 12-3. That has to go. I was becoming a half-decent climber but now I am having to slog my way up the hills again.

My back was hurting on the steep climbs so I have work to do there. My cousin spotted the 'Yoga for Cyclists' book that I have on loan from the local library. He said that he owns a copy and the exercises work for him.

Yes, there were a lot of walkers. I didn't come close to not making any of the climbs so at least that is one good thing.

A woman was gasping and muttering under her breath just in front of me on that nasty Dalby Forest Drive climb. I thought that she was about to grind to a halt so I gave her a bit of space, which turned out to be a good thing because she suddenly started zigzagging her way up. She made it to the top and as I drew alongside her I told her that the foothills were over, but the steep stuff would start round the corner. She grinned at me and said "DON'T EVEN SUGGEST THAT!!!" :laugh:

Later on, a group of us saw a distressed rider at the side of the road. He was carrying quite a lot of weight and had clearly pushed himself too hard. He was on his knees at the side of the road, purple-faced, gasping for breath and sweat pouring off the tip of his nose. A few of us slowed down to ask if he was ok. He said that he would be once he got his breath back, but thanks for asking! :eek:

Annieshaf

Well I made it round the long route in 5:20 and up the KOM in 7:16. Very pleased with that. It was tough though and I lost my friend about half way round when she jumped on the back of a big group and I couldn't catch her
Would definitely do it again.

The atmosphere at the finish was amazing.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Well done to everyone. It was a great day.
The man at the side of the road sounds bad :sad:

Just worked out that a time of 3h 25min is an average speed of nearly 25mph. With 4000ft of climbing thrown in then that is amazes me. I could only dream. Chapeau!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes cracking ride, the Filey diversion would have been less painful it wasn't into a headwind, but worth it for the cobble climb! My mate and I went around in 4.43 moving time 5.21 including stops, 6.22 up the timed climb. Managed to keep together all the way around. Hard to believe how many people were out watching us daft lot at silly O'clock in the morning. The finish line was ace with everyone banging the boards and cheering.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Well done to everyone. It was a great day.
The man at the side of the road sounds bad :sad:

Just worked out that a time of 3h 25min is an average speed of nearly 25mph. With 4000ft of climbing thrown in then that is amazes me. I could only dream. Chapeau!
85km route so 15 mph, but more if he stopped, still decent but not "sign him for a pro team"