Tour of Britain next week. Will you be watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How are you with paint drying? :okay:
It was ok when it was still damp, but dry paint is REALLY boring!

I can never really engage with it, unlike the Grand Tour events. I can’t put my finger on why but somehow it seems much less interesting.
I know what you mean... I always watch the ToB and quite enjoy it, but it doesn't excite me much. I think it used to be because the standard of the teams wasn't so good but now I think it is probably that the stages aren't hard enough and there are too many sprint finishes.

pjd57

Veteran
Going out tomorrow morning to have a look .

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It was ok when it was still damp, but dry paint is REALLY boring!

I know what you mean... I always watch the ToB and quite enjoy it, but it doesn't excite me much. I think it used to be because the standard of the teams wasn't so good but now I think it is probably that the stages aren't hard enough and there are too many sprint finishes.
Just like today. You can get away with seven or eight sprinters stages on a Grand Tour where you've got the mountains and the tougher stages to break the race up. But on a week long race you have to think far more carefully about the route, putting meaningful climbs at or very near the finish.

I sometimes wonder what casual watchers think is going on. 200 kilometres and the whole field finishes together and it happens day after day. Even I begin to think you could lop 180k off the route and just have a 20k sprint every day.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The ovo energy ad at the end of each segment.

Is that the climb of Mam Nick featured or do my eyes deceive me?

snorri

Legendary Member
Well, it seems like a good time to mention that I hate watching people knit so I won't be watching any knitting for the rest of this year. Actually, I intend not to watch knitting for the rest of this life! :laugh:
Somebody has to knit your cycling shorts, wouldn't you like to watch, not even a teensy weensy bit of curiosity there?

MiK1138

Veteran
IMG_3125 (2).JPG IMG_3141 (3).JPG IMG_3160 (2).JPG IMG_3144 (2).JPG couple of Pics from Todays stage

Will be watching at an as yet undecided point tomorrow when it passes through Northumberland. Can't decide if I should just go to my local place, quite village where I saw them last time for all of 20 seconds as the pedalled through, or go much further to the bottom of a climb where should see them for (a little bit) longer.

Anyway, day off work, morning spent watching it on TV then cycle out in the afternoon to...somewhere...

Ubarrow

Regular
I’ll be at the finish of Tuesdays stage in Kendal - right outside Postman Pat’s original Post Office!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just like today. You can get away with seven or eight sprinters stages on a Grand Tour where you've got the mountains and the tougher stages to break the race up. But on a week long race you have to think far more carefully about the route, putting meaningful climbs at or very near the finish.

I sometimes wonder what casual watchers think is going on. 200 kilometres and the whole field finishes together and it happens day after day. Even I begin to think you could lop 180k off the route and just have a 20k sprint every day.

Seems to me Britain's topography is rather against exciting stage racing.

We don't have the long, steady, climbs of Europe, and certainly not several you could string together to make a stage.

Cragg Vale, which I've been up and down with @ColinJ , is more than five miles long, but probably not quite steep enough.

Climbs don't have to be continuous, but we don't have the 10-20Km stretches of variable climbing they do in the Grand Tours.

https://cyclinguphill.com/cragg-vale-hill-climb/

Reactions: C R
I think that's over-stating it somewhat. We do have suitable topography but it's largely confined to North Wales, the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District, the Forest of Bowland and the North Pennines AONB. Arguably, there's some race logistics difficulty in all of those since the 'good roads' tend to be single track, though that shouldn't be a show-stopper. Tuesday's stage is pretty good in terms of distance to climb ratio, and some of the climbs are relatively long, albeit not properly mountainous, and that's taking the big roads, not the nearby smaller, steeper options. It seems to me, taking Sunday's stage as an example, that the T of B seems to often favour 'big' roads at the expense of nearby, more interesting, hillier terrain.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I really enjoyed seeing Alex Dowsett’s move at the end of yesterday’s stage. I was willing him on and disappointed when he was inevitably caught.

Chapeau, Alex!

Top Bottom