Tour of Britain next week. Will you be watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think that's over-stating it somewhat. We do have suitable topography but it's largely confined to North Wales, the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District, the Forest of Bowland and the North Pennines AONB. Arguably, there's some race logistics difficulty in all of those since the 'good roads' tend to be single track, though that shouldn't be a show-stopper. Tuesday's stage is pretty good in terms of distance to climb ratio, and some of the climbs are relatively long, albeit not properly mountainous, and that's taking the big roads, not the nearby smaller, steeper options. It seems to me, taking Sunday's stage as an example, that the T of B seems to often favour 'big' roads at the expense of nearby, more interesting, hillier terrain.

I'm not sure how the route is determined but it would have been really easy to make Stage 8 much harder. For example, they go from Marple to Uppermill via the easiest possible route (except the climb up Werneth Low). By adding only an extra 10 miles or so you could have routed via Holme Moss and Wessenden Head which are both hard. That stage starts in Altrincham and finishes in Manchester. It would be very easy to design a real tough day out. Do the towns that the route goes through pay anything for the privilege?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hoping to see the stage finish in Kendal tomorrow.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Another bunch sprint today. The commentators were still trying to big up the chances of the break staying away at the 3k marker, but at 10k out anyone with even a passing interest in the sport could see they were doomed.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Another bunch sprint today. The commentators were still trying to big up the chances of the break staying away at the 3k marker, but at 10k out anyone with even a passing interest in the sport could see they were doomed.
Have to admit....I thought/hoped they might do it. Those sprinters are amazing. When they caught the breakaway pack they flew past them.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Unless they've altered the way they route the race it will be as boring as it normally is. One way to kill the interest in cycle sport that has grown since the Olympics is to have a race where every stage ends in bunch sprint.

Friday's stage has 3 repeats of a decent climb to finish. This is the same as they had in the Women's Tour (Warwick - Burton Dassett). That was quite an exciting stage so hopefully this will be as well.

I'll be watching the start and on the finish.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On Saturday they go up Rawson's Raike in Ramsbottom, before heading to Manchestah. That will be good to watch, it's an absolute swine of a climb, although short. I bet Cav is dreading it.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
It always reminds me what a grey wet country this is, and how ugly the towns are.

And yet when the TDF started in Yorkshire, it looked stunning. I think it is the quality/quantity of the cameras amongst other things

johnblack

Über Member
Friday's stage has 3 repeats of a decent climb to finish. This is the same as they had in the Women's Tour (Warwick - Burton Dassett). That was quite an exciting stage so hopefully this will be as well.

I'll be watching the start and on the finish.
It's a great setting for a finish, we're going up there too, shame they haven't got a beer tent.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Around the wirral today....interesting to us.
We are enjoying our ToB breakfast with vodka and orange ^_^
20190911_113359.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
I rode out to near Kesall Hill to see the race, there were plenty of people out enjoying the ToB race.

It was nice to see lots of groups of various local clubs in full club kit on the way out and the way back.

The sun was out too, what more could you want.:sun:

Top Bottom