Tour of Hampshire CC Ride - 4th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Glad you all had a good time, I was thinking of you.

Whilst crossing mighty rivers:
GEDC0091.jpg

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'm home!
Thanks to Peter for organising the ride and to everyone else for moral support!:ohmy:

Feeling very sprightly for 100 miles plus. To be fair only Andy & Topcat1 did the entire London round trip, whereas Radius, dj, CoG and I took the train part of the way home from Staines.:laugh:

Just running a bath to soak my muscles and yes, Davey Walnuts that bad smell by the river was me!:ohmy:

An excellent ride everyone, well done all!:biggrin:

Radius

SHREDDER
Back too now! Thanks Peter, lovely scenery and the weather was great too. Liked the pub as well. Very glad to have completed 109 miles today, and many thanks to Aperitif for his support (and fig rolls :laugh:). Looking forward to the pics :ohmy:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well done one and all sounds like you had a fab day! :ohmy:
Think of all them Cyclogs miles :laugh:

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Well that was a great day out, really enjoyed it and the sence of achievment is imense. My comp reads 108.72 :thumbsup:miles so Jack, despite me living further away than you I did less mile!!!! Cos I live so near the train station you see.

Thanks Pete for the organisation, and for being patient with all us Ton up nutters!!!:laugh:

Looking forward to seeing the pics too.:ohmy:

Am off to have a shower now and to recover!:ohmy:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
User1314 said:
Manningtree next! Aperitif wants to cycle there from London. :smile:
He may have to, or at least to Ingatestone, as it appears trains aren't running between Lpoo Street and Ingatestone. I'll try to find out a little more nearer the time but you London types may have to do some kind of carshare or cycle part of the route there, I'm afraid :sad:

Radius

SHREDDER
djtheglove said:
My comp reads 108.72 :thumbsup:miles so Jack, despite me living further away than you I did less miles!!!!

:sad: :smile: result :rofl: That'll teach you for piping up all day every time I said how much I'd done :rofl:

OK.

Twelve go pant in Hants!
So. Another day, another doner. Davywalnuts and I met at the usual place, to be joined by redjedi - destination Staines railway station! I would have gone to the bridge - because I'm stupid - but hey! the others rolled into the forecourt not long after.
Cue introductions...cyberpeople suddenly becoming 'live' and 'real' and then the great pee before the off exodus. Except Madame Jobsworth decided that you can't take a leak unless you buy a return 1st class ticket to London, so everyone took their business elsewhere...topcat1 is becoming a bit of an expert at this 'parcour peeing' - it can only be a matter of time before the video is posted! The big posse were in good humour,
despite the Mr Pig Grumpy poster. Lighten up it did - with a beautiful sun drenching the day.
5wi5o3.jpg

Onward to Hampshire and the meet up with bollo, MacBludgeon and our tour guide Peter. At the final roundabout leading to our destination, a few hoisted their hands up, reaching skywards, feeling the wind - yes, it was the Fleet air arm in operation.
Masochistic that boy Peter - as he let the incomers descend a reasonably steep hill before suggesting reclimbing it to continue the ride. tdr1nka immediately felt affectionate towards this man of Hants who would lead us up hill and up dale up, up, and away...at one point, we passed over the motorway - a peloton in perfect synchronicity, almost silent. Underneath us, the traffic was roaring past. It just proved the point that "M3 vessels make the most noise."
2m3fyoi.jpg

arallsopp looking swift on new bike
Quite nice places were passed - topiary - thatch - the best of manicured gardens and suddenly there was a descent..to The Pub! Well deserved for the Inner London posse as they were in need of sustenance. Many of us can report that the beams are too low in this pub, or the floor is too high.
dviz6h.jpg

However, they did have the perfect use for the Daily Mail...as firelighters. Put a match to a copy and it fans its own flames!
(The Fox at Ellisfield for reference.) The sign says free house but I had to pay for the beers. I took a few pics but there is one odd one which might invite suggestions
10z8cue.jpg

What is redjedi doing? Or is he just stuck in cyclepose cramp.
The woman serving is explaining to topcat1 how to tickle a trout - using his codpiece as a demo...
Anyway - statutory group photo
20ql204.jpg

Standing: L to R bollo, djtheglove, Aperitif, redjedi, tdr1nka, Peter, Davywalnuts, MacBludgeon, User1314.
Seated: L to R arallsopp, topcat1, Radius
Enough of that dossing - let's get rolling! So off we went with one or two repetitions of dragging hills and rapid descents, passing through some lovely parts of Hampshire.
30lgojb.jpg

Davy doing a trackstand - or was he just grinding to a halt uphill?
With the sun doing its best there is nothing finer than being with a group of sweat-ridden men trundling around - ah bliss!
2s1rel4.jpg

Blessed with sun for the whole day, we progressed back to Fleet Station - there was even time for a Jolly Roger en route...
2eaqg7o.jpg

And goodbye MacBludgeon (who has invited us all round to have a bath a bit of cake with his missus..I think I got that right - dunno?:smile::rofl:) and to Peter, with thanks from all as we sped upwards again, ond onwards to achievement:
1zwet20.jpg

djtheglove and tdr1nka - the first two roaming centurions
2efhyxy.jpg

then it was Radius - when it happened...
2li9dg2.jpg

...and after - more sedately! Well done.
We made it to the outskirts of Staines before arallsopp fancied a quick spin on the M25 but he was dissuaded. Our only tooting moment was on the same roundabout when an impotent man in a car found the cyclists presence too much for his girlfriend, who was driving, and he started beeping her horn. Loser of the day.:sad:
User1314, who rode the day fixed, was next for the 100-up. Fixed. The legs were spinning well until he got off the bike outside Davywalnuts' favourite Staines kebabbery! The Crock legs carried on spinning and he ran down the street involuntarily - but we got him back for the group shot. (I'm in the reflection somewhere)
95ya1z.jpg

Pub stop for some, continuation for others, and topcat1, arallsopp, redjedi and self rode off towards London.
2uonvpv.jpg

'redjedi' was the last of the 100 Club to achieve his target and a commemorative photo was scheduled for Davy's kebab van in Bedfont. Twas not to be as it was too early - but the photoshoot went ahead. Congratulations redjedi!
I said ta ta - then there were three..
148kms plus a bit and I didn't feel as though I had been out - strange.
And it was good to walk the dog.
I hope everyone else was able to appreciate part of today - it was lovely!

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Radius said:
:sad: :smile: result :rofl: That'll teach you for piping up all day every time I said how much I'd done :rofl:

Blimey Radius?! That's rich! after we left the pub you seemed to be in self torture mode!!!! I am sure you were getting some kind of Moasochistic, pleasure when climbing yet another hill, by asking me once again, how many miles I had done, only to grin inanley when you discovered that I was still 3 miles ahead of you!!!!:rofl:

You, tdr1nka and I, must have had some kind of endorphin rush at around that time as we seemed to laugh at the hills!

More likely it was the sugar (calorie) rush from all that sticky sweet popular soft drink you two were on and me from the beer and deliscious fish and chips! I wont ever forget those last 5 miles to the pub I was counting the miles down on my comp and was suffering badly, that food was a life saver:biggrin:;)

Great pics, Aperitif I am so relieved that I look a little more sensible than when on my ride and AH took those pics of me looking like a Mook!! I can actualy save these ones to file. :rofl: Nice write up too.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Great write-up, Aperitif! Sounds like you had a good time, even without the company of any laydeez.

I liked this photo as it seems like the three chaps in the front row are all the same person, just with different hairstyles!

20ql204.jpg

Top Bottom