Tour of Hampshire CC Ride - 4th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The Anti Walnut!:ohmy:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
tdr1nka said:
I am still in shock as it appears I did more miles than Aperitif, then again he hardly broke a sweat all day!

was it only me or was Aperetif looking a bit weak? I'm sure one of his earlobes looked underdeveloped in a muscular sense!

Good writes ups, and great piccies, thanks again guys.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Evening all. Sorry to be so late in adding to the fray. Had a bit of a moment finishing off the miles. Anyway, I'll keep that in another thread...

So, yes, marvellous day out. Up bright and (exceedingly early) to meet Djtheglove, Tdr1nka, Topcat1, and Radius in Clapham. Tried like fury to take an intelligent and direct route, but ended up lost and on my reliable (but excessively hilly) commuter roads. It seems cycle routes in SE London work on the following checklist, with many scoring all four:
  • Is double parked
  • Has speed bumps
  • Concedes right of way at every junction
  • Is viciously indirect.

Peaking Crystal Palace just as the sun finally struggled over the horizon, I descended to The Windmill whilst the sun got all shy about the mist and bugg3red off for a few hours. Introductions were made, and for once, my bike wasn't the butt of all the heavyweight jokes :evil:

On to Kingston in good company, pausing briefly in Richmond park to be seriously out-blinged by the locals. Fortunately, Topcat1 fought our corner well, even smuggling a cyclechat shirt under his normal head to toe Assos cladding.

Trading our otherwise lightning pace to the fairer sex with gentlemanly aplomb, we spun South out of the park to pick up a very chirpy CoG on an entirely beautiful fixie. Attracted by the clean lines (and not put off by the evidently loose chain), the sun made another go at it, warming our troup for the rest of the day.

Arriving at Staines, we found Daveywalnuts and Redjedi sheltering in the shadow of two very large, but lycra clad oak trees. Finally recognising Aperitifs legs, we set a good pace Fleetwards. The 'rolling' road gave ample opportunity to test the new bent's hill climbing abilities and I've got to say that the boys at Challenge have done me proud.

In my experience, there are only really two ways of climbing a hill on a recumbent.
  1. Gather whatever velocity you can on the way down leading into the climb, powering up the other side in a big gear hoping to crest before running out of momentum.
  2. Crawl.

Compared to the SMGTe, the Furai lets me hang onto that big cog for longer and she got me over most of the hills without needing granny's services. With the hills just not letting up, the pack were very good about my constantly having to dart forwards and back, messing with the pace and appearing under people's bars.

Just as well really, as I was soon calling on their services to collect my seat bag whose enthusiasm for the bumps led to a spontaneous leap for freedom. Extra credits go to Redjedi for not only finding the various parts of my rear light, but also collecting (and testing) the batteries ;)

Very shortly picking up Bollo, MacBludgeon and our leader, the group set off for a very pleasant ride around rural Hampshire. Suffice to say if I find a wealthy benefactor prepared to sponsor a new lifestyle, I will be moving there. Absolutely stunning scenery (and a wonderful pub lunch) dominated the next four hours, closing with Bollo's handy practical on the similarities between a "I'm going home now, see you later, bye" wave and the "come this way, follow me" beckoning.

Eventually decoding things, we swooped left for the final lanes with all showing impressive climbing prowess. Immensely surprised to pop out at Fleet Station, we gave thanks to Peter for an excellent loop.

Rediscovering traffic, the London contingent ploughed home towards our centuries, collecting 5 before the group thinned out to Topcat1 and myself. With casualties to pubs and geography taking the last of our companions, we rolled East towards town. Relying entirely on the benevolent guidance of Aperitif and RedJedi's navigation skills, we reached our split point a few miles later, with Topcat1 aiming South at Kew Bridge.

Alone with the setting sun, I whipped on towards the A4, sighting my office and tagging on to the commuter route which had delivered me in the morning. In my belief, a road ridden regularly takes no effort, but I was certainly missing the company of the CC brigade.

With a commitment to bag 300km and failing light, I swung back between Crystal Palace masts and traded the flashing LEDs of the Furai for the hub dynamo SMGTe. Warning Mrs arallsopp that I'd be doing a hit and run for tea, I set out for the final 45 miles entirely recharged by thoughts of a perfect day. It was an honour to share the company, scenery, and daylight with you all.

Rolling in just after midnight, I'd logged 281.25km, and that is near enough for me :biggrin:

Radius

SHREDDER
Lovely write up that Andy, I applaud the literary effort, it read beautifully :evil:
Damned bastardly mileage as well (that's not a word, is it...)

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Here's the rest of the photos
2s12oec.jpg
staines meet point
2a0lzk.jpg
having a cycle chat
6q8suf.jpg
catch up point
eu0lfq.jpg
cog after his chain came off
o38du.jpg
dj and co playing catch up
28hhh0w.jpg
parking at the pub
2dj5i0i.jpg
the lads
20sg12f.jpg
davy warming up at the end
dq2gye.jpg
the finish at fleet
37z11.jpg
the pause for radius 100
that's the lot enjoy.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
More good write ups, heck of a mileage there A, very impressive, couldn't do any where near that yet. Must apologise to folks as well, when we made a tentative stop 20 miles in to Peters route. Decision time, do we eat then or push on the extra 8 miles to the planned pub stop. So I pipe up for moving on, cos I'm only 22 miles in, overall, and wanted to get up that 'largish' hill before the break and be well over half way as well.

In my ignorance it didn't even cross my mind to consider the distance most had already ridden. Though the rationale of the hill b4 lunch made sense once we were there. I don't doubt that some could have cheerfully killed me during those 8 miles:biggrin:

I can only claim extreme selfishness, stupidity and tunnel vision, as excuses, for this gross error.

Radius

SHREDDER
MacBludgeon said:
I don't doubt that some could have cheerfully killed me during those 8 miles:biggrin:

Yes, yes I could have. And there was no cheerfully about it :evil: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Only joking, I did indeed struggle on that last hill (63 miles in, with little food, I might add, only Aperitif's fig rolls saved me! Eternally grateful...), but I enjoyed the feeling of achievement of making it to the pub, and it was all fine after that ;)

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
It's alright mac we came for the hills too, they add a little spice to the mix (ask auntie helen).

I can only claim extreme selfishness, stupidity and tunnel vision, as excuses, for this gross error.

MacBludgeon's admission can only mean one thing - he's one of us!;)

I think I have only met one selfish ba$t@rd on a ride so far...and even he made a comment about Ianrauk that was pure class!

Andy is spot on about the 'good company' aspect too.

And coolcat topcat with another batch of memories - excellent photo reportage from the stand-in Auntie Helen - 'Uncle Dave'!;)

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
MacBludgeon said:
More good write ups, heck of a mileage there A, very impressive, couldn't do any where near that yet. Must apologise to folks as well, when we made a tentative stop 20 miles in to Peters route. Decision time, do we eat then or push on the extra 8 miles to the planned pub stop. So I pipe up for moving on, cos I'm only 22 miles in, overall, and wanted to get up that 'largish' hill before the break and be well over half way as well.

In my ignorance it didn't even cross my mind to consider the distance most had already ridden. Though the rationale of the hill b4 lunch made sense once we were there. I don't doubt that some could have cheerfully killed me during those 8 miles:biggrin:

Not at all Mac, those last miles were the most painful of the whole ride Mac, but at the same time I new it was the right thing to do, get past half way before we stopped cyclogically it makes sence.;) Plus it was a lot easier after that.
Thanks for your quick wit on the ride it makes it all part of the fun and enjoyment.;)

Also glad you did those miles you were looking for Andy, and good luck with the training.

As well, great to see the usual suspects and meet some other usual suspects who I had not met before , Aperitif, Arralsopp, Mac, Bollo, Peter. It's easier when you know who your talking to on ere!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
arallsopp said:
closing with Bollo's handy practical on the similarities between a "I'm going home now, see you later, bye" wave and the "come this way, follow me" beckoning.

;)

Top Bottom