Tour of Hampshire CC Ride - 4th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Auntie Helen said:
Great write-up, Aperitif! Sounds like you had a good time, even without the company of any laydeez.

I liked this photo as it seems like the three chaps in the front row are all the same person, just with different hairstyles!
Hi Auntie. Bet you're sorry to miss riding around with this collection of CC beefcake!

While we're at it, I should point out that, in my case at least, the camera adds 80lbs, 20 years and several bangs on the noggin with the ugly stick.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Auntie Helen said:
I liked this photo as it seems like the three chaps in the front row are all the same person, just with different hairstyles!

20ql204.jpg

Its a fair cop. Radius, TopCat1 and myself are actually the same person. We each did around 30 miles whilst the other two followed in a car. TopCat drew the straw for this leg, hence radius and I in NinjaCyclist garb. We'd have got away with it too, if it hadn't been for the aroma of the excellent pub food drawing us into frame.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Ah memories of the day, tdr1nka doing a
2lbl7k8.jpg
Lee Marvin (cat balou) half asleep all morning untill he has a beer, arallsop on his new
2rqez9t.jpg
ride , peter top man
fx7c7a.jpg
thanks for a great day. Aperitif always good company
30wxo29.jpg
.The views were outstanding
2b48ky.jpg
and company were great
122og7q.jpg

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
more photos windmill pub meet point
oarjir.jpg
the ride
kbuc06.jpg
the views
2e5kql2.jpg
the pub
11humg3.jpg
eating in the garden
3484nb7.jpg
the centurians dj
qqsjsh.jpg
tdr1nka
2qi467l.jpg
and young radius
20jkzh0.jpg
thankyou peter and the London- Staines peloton for a great day.

OP
OP
Peter

Peter

Great company, great ride, great weather - what more could we ask for?

Glad everyone enjoyed the ride (especially as the London posse have never seen tractors & horses, let alone smelled fresh manure :smile:), see you all next time.

In London we talk manure - all the time!

Nice pics topcat1! I noticed those planes in the field too (a level plane field?:o) and apparently there is a gliding school/ helicopter school around there as well...probably your snap is of all the items that learner pilots have trashed!:smile:

There is even a photo of me that might qualify for Auntie Helen's bumshot calendar! :smile:

I'm looking forward to Thursday night now...and I had a mini, mini -tutorial from Peter about Garmin705. Impressive and need to investigate this toy. :smile:)

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Aperitif said:
There is even a photo of me that might qualify for Auntie Helen's bumshot calendar! :smile:
I had noticed this, of course, but didn't want to embarrass you by pointing it out :ohmy:

Perhaps I will do a nice CycleChat Dishy Bums calendar for 2010. With enough CC rides and lots of photography I should have 12 passable examples.

OP
OP
Peter

Peter

Aperitif said:

You've only qualified because there isn't one of me :ohmy:

Don't know how that happened, as I was leading most of the way, probably because there were no laydeez on the ride :smile:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
'Keep On Moving.' or 'How I Learned To Love The Hills.'

Time for the tdr1nka take on the day..............

Awake at 5:45, trying to shake the early morning fug.
Rallied self and got dressed, left house and then hit every single red light between New Cross Gate & Clapham Common:rolleyes:.

7:20 Arrive at Windmill Pub and meet with Dj, Topcat, Radius & Arallsopp and we set off for Kingston. The morning was overcast, mild and the air just damp with a misty mizzle.

It was a swift run thru Wandsworth, Richmond Park(where we were 'owned' by a group of Lady cyclists) and out to Kingston, we pick up CoG at the bridge and we all head off towards Staines. The sun was now up and shining for the start of a beautiful day!

With perfect timing we arrived at Staines railway station, just as Aperitif called to check our ETA.:smile: Everyones toilet was attended to(one way or another:eek:), and Dj remembered to stock up with water.
Adding DaveyWalnuts, Redjedi & Aperitif to the ranks we then 'blaze' a trail to Fleet!

This was one of the hardest stretches of the ride for me as I was pushing past my regular distances and I started to feel it.
The hills didn't help much.
In what has fast become the spirit of a CC ride, everyone stuck together and were on hand to encourage and boost moral, Topcat mostly playing 'Tail End Charlie' to my deathly crawl up the hills.:ohmy:

Nearing Fleet, and finally out in the countryside, we meet Peter, MacBludgeon & Bollo riding to meet us at the bottom of what had been a lovely descent only to have to turn straight round and climb back up it again.:smile:

Peter had planned a gorgeous route mostly on winding country lanes with little or no other traffic, thatched houses in tiny villages, lambs in the field and old churches, all very quiet and pastoral.
With the pace having been set in order to get to Fleet, my legs found themselves again and the hills became less of a hinderance, even if my groans of consternation stayed alarmingly consistent throughout the ride.

Refueled at the pub we crack on, cycling about Hampshire, meandering, climbing and flying down hills.
At some point we bid farewell to Bollo and continued on our happy way until finally we arrived back in Fleet 'proper' and the end of the Hampshire ride itself. Here we said our thanks and goodbyes to Mac Bludgeon and Peter and the London gang saddled up again to head east and for home.

During the final stretch to Staines several first 100's were hit and photo oppertunities were taken. As I see you have seen already.:smile:
By now, very weary and with my right knee refusing to do any more work, I scrabbled the last 10 miles till we got to Staines. Here, outside the kebab shop we saw Topcat, Arallsopp, Aperitif & Redjedi off, to finish their round trips by road, while Radius, Dj, CoG, DaveyW & I stopped in the last of the day's sunshine, down by the river, for self congratulatory drinks and some chips.

From here we said farewell to Davey, and Dj, CoG, Radius and I board a Waterloo bound train full of noisy kids returning from a day at Thorpe Park:rolleyes:.
GoG departed at Twickenham, Radius & Dj at Clapham Junction and I got to Waterloo around 20:30 with only a 10 min ride home to complete the day's ride.

What can I say? Another great ride, a personal best and the excellent company of fellow CC'ers to make it all the more enjoyable and possible.

Today I am sore, but very much alive and awake.
I am still in shock as it appears I did more miles than Aperitif, then again he hardly broke a sweat all day!:biggrin:

Thanks again all!:biggrin:

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
User1314 said:
Nope!!! One kebab a year for me. Well remembered.

Have to say, a ton on flat bars, as you did, is amazing. You'll reap the benefits of that.

I think doing a ton on a fixie is pretty amazing too, personaly I relished the moments I did'nt have to turn the pedals!:ohmy:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
User1314 said:
Have to say, a ton on flat bars, as you did, is amazing. You'll reap the benefits of that.

Cheers! It's odd because I don't feel any upper body aches after riding with the flats?
During the ride between Clapham and Kingston I got a touch of pins & needles in my right hand, which does like to grumble after I broke it a few years ago, and my neck did ache a bit during the ride but I put that down to my carrying the bag.

Yesterday showed me that I need to take off an inch or two off either end of the bars as my hands still want to rest on the bar and be closer in, just as if I were still riding drops.:ohmy:

Top Bottom