Tour of the bistards...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtwin

Where are the UK's bistard hills?

To qualify, just steep isn't necessarily enough, although the real big killers will do of course. We need false peaks, rubbish road surfaces, stinking chemical works half-way up, depressing views - anything that makes them just unpleasant to have to ride up; you get the idea. Don't have to be massively long, just the sort of thing that you'd normally plan to avoid.

We can publish a list of them, and folk can cross them off for masochist points if they are in the area. Take them in on rides just for the "bistard points". Bit like munro bagging, but less fun.

Who's first?

...the whole of cornwall...?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Oh, go on then. Winnat's Pass.

Steep, rough, steep, and steep enough that cars have trouble getting up it and are thus hard pushed to give cyclists the consideration that they might normaly do. Did I mention steep?

OP
OP
B

Bigtwin

Great stuff. Don't forget to give us a clue where these places are (Obviously the whole of Cornwall, and N London are reasonably easy to find!).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Streat Hill, near Ditchling Beacon in E Sussex. It climbs a similar height to the Beacon but takes the alpine direct approach. It's the worst sort for me as it gets progressively harder as you climb so you know that however bad you feel it's only going to get worse! The last 75m is about 18%.

OP
OP
B

Bigtwin

rich p said:
Streat Hill, near Ditchling Beacon in E Sussex. It climbs a similar height to the Beacon but takes the alpine direct approach. It's the worst sort for me as it gets progressively harder as you climb so you know that however bad you feel it's only going to get worse! The last 75m is about 18%.

Ooh - corker, and fairly close to me. One for the "soon" list.

grhm

Veteran
Devil's Staircase in Wale's.

Langholm to Newcastleton in Scotland

I rode this in the early hours of the morning during a 24 hour challenge. The relevant section form my ride report ...

The route sheet has the following instruction "Climbing out of town turn right. CAUTION: Severe climb". The next instruction is not for another 9.5 miles and is to guide you through Newcastleton. This part of the ride was a long painful experience. At times I couldn't keep going and had to get off to walk. At others I struggled to keep my speed up enough to steer properly and I would drift off the side of the road. Toads leapt across the road and as I climbed higher the wind got up and the light rain turned from vertical to horizontal. Eventually I crested a summit and started a perilous descent. Not only was I tired, so were my light batteries. I should have changed them in Langholm. I kept as fast as I could, but the road was rough and twisty. At the bottom of the valley it took a sharp right to cross a bridge and then sharp right and the climbing started again. I had lost track of the time. I couldn't see my computer or watch. It was just a case of keeping the pedals turning.

Big T

Guru
Symonds Yat Rock.

Had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground. And it's narrow, with lots of cars coming the other way.

The climb from Combe Martin to the top of the Mendips. Narrow, wooded, bad road surface, but a lovely view from the top.

Big T

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
Glen Convinth.

I'd concur with this.

If anyone doesn't know it, it's the road from Beauly to Drumnadrochit, just north of Loch Ness.

Goes on forever (about 9 miles, I think) and you think you're never going to get to the top.

Top Bottom