Touring Bikes v Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conradm

Regular
Hi
Touring on roads can be done with a road bike. It might need some tuning - or detuning - depending on what else we want to do/carry/enjoy. They're all bikes and if they're ok for competion they're pretty strong. Many bikes are still more versatile than marketing departments want us to believe. If it's got or will fit 25mm tyres, a good saddle*, and some way to carry tools and water it's a touring bike. Mudguards, lights, lower gears are even better.
It's still called the tour de france.
I recently went around fineshade blue mountain bike trail on a touring bike, I think it was faster (and easier and more fun), than my mountain bike.
*and that's only your opinion.

What sort of 'touring' bike have you bought, to make you differentiate? My touring bike as front and rear racks, drop bars etc in fact the only thing differentiating it from a 'racing' bike are the racks/gearing and weight oh and a brooks saddle with 32mm tyres. Easy to do 100km in a day touring and your touring i guess will be on roads.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't understand the question. All these bikes are road bikes though some are better suited to a particular aspect of cycling.

I've toured on a hybrid (excellent as it happens), road bikes and tourers. Currently I own a Cervelo C3, my best bike, Dolan Dual, 9 years old so a bit of a hack now, and a "tourer" I had built for both club and tour riding (it isn't a brand or make). The touring bike doubles as my club winter bike.

I'd take anyone of those on a short 3-4 days tour. Next summer I'm contemplating 8-9 days riding to the Pyrenees - it's a toss up between the Cervelo with a backloader or the tourer with panniers. Much longer than this and I'd use the touring bike.

I feel you're over thinking this, use the bike you feel comfortable with for any particular situation. For most of us I'd argue the bike doesn't make as much difference as the rider does.

You can tour on any bike, it mainly comes down to how much you want to carry with you.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One other observation. I first toured on a hybrid 20+ years ago. I only owned this one bike. My knowledge was such I didn't even know touring bikes existed. I was going on an adventure to take part in the inaugural Pennine Cycleway ride. I needed to take clothes so bought a rack and bag!

Turned out I was by far the fastest and least weighted down rider. Tour on what you have, it isn't that big a deal unless you're in full on survivalist mode!!!

Venod

Eh up
Its not about the bike, its about getting out and enjoying your cycling.

I like to ride my bikes as I did as a kid, ie: ride anywhere on any surface when and as my fancy takes me, some of mates are appalled where I ride my best road bike. (it helps that its titanium and not a fancy painted carbon job)

I have four at the moment that I ride outdoors and one on the turbo.

1 road bike
1 cx without guards (no fixing points)
1 cx with permanent guards that will take a rack if required
1 MTB

All get ridden and the boundaries are blurred to their use.

Don't over think things, just ride.

Crankarm

Guru
OP posted on 20th August and hasn't been back. Either he's on tour or cba to return to the thread and at the least thank every one for their contributions.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
OP posted on 20th August and hasn't been back. Either he's on tour or cba to return to the thread and at the least thank every one for their contributions.
Because of winter coming, touring has not been on my mind, that's why it's been a while. I'm back briefly because of a change of plans. In the past couple of months there has been several problems with the bike, some being rather stressful including 3 punctures in 2 days.

I am now thinking that if I go on a 3 month tour around Europe there is bound to be more serious problems so have decided on not doing this tour. So, I've got the bike and most of the equipment so I am going to be sticking to tours in UK and maybe a few short breaks in Europe

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Because of winter coming, touring has not been on my mind, that's why it's been a while. I'm back briefly because of a change of plans. In the past couple of months there has been several problems with the bike, some being rather stressful including 3 punctures in 2 days.

I am now thinking that if I go on a 3 month tour around Europe there is bound to be more serious problems so have decided on not doing this tour. So, I've got the bike and most of the equipment so I am going to be sticking to tours in UK and maybe a few short breaks in Europe
You are correct Crank arm in stating that I should have thanked people for their contributions and feel really bad about not doing so as most of the contributions have been really helpful, so I thank everyone now

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The main thing is to just start simpe say ride somewhere, sty overnight ride back. Then try a couple of nights. Try camping. Try a bivvy. Whatever you fancy. Winter touring is fine if using hostels or B&B etc or you have a warm sleeping bag. Out of season touring can be great.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As for touring in Europe, they have bike shops for serious stuff. Most likely is punctures and possibly spokes but those are easy to deal with yourself if you prepare. Punctures really should not be considered serious.

Top Bottom