Touring Bikes v Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The title of this thread does not really explain what I'm asking, it is not what is better so a post on this pointless because it is two different styles of riding and everyone has their own preference.

The purpose of this thread is to answer a thought I've been having the past couple of days

I've been road cycling for about 4 years and nothing else. Before this was hybrids of which I done 2 small tours of wild camping, one around Northumberland and the other in Scotland, a few years in between (both with friends), the latter did not work out too well. Several weeks ago, I thought wouldn't it be brilliant to tour around Europe and have it as part of my bucket list (I'm 52 now and plan on doing it at 55). Obviously the most important requirement is a touring bike and bought it last week with rear panniers.

You may be wondering about the title and where it fits in which is to be discussed shortly. I have not been on road bike for 3 weeks because of a leg injury which is nigh on better now and all last week I have commuted on my tourer of which I'm planning on doing every week and I am not missing my road bike to the point that I'm enjoying the tourer more.

Something I think might need explaining is that the fist 2 years of road cycling I done things that I thought I would never be able to do, such as ride 100 miles or even 140 miles, and ridden in the Dolomites. The last 2 years I have done far less than my expectations.

So, does anyone ride a road bike and, as I'm presuming that everyone who looks at this has a touring bike?
If so where do they both fit in?

I haven't toured on my new bike yet but once I get the rest of the kit (tent, Sleeping bag, cooking equipment etc.), I'm planning on doing so around NE UK in practice for the one in Europe, something I'm getting a bit an anxious about as I want to get the kit quicker than I can afford, so I can get out. I am also thinking that doing touring is going to help me in positive cycling progression in a way that road cycling is not.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is my thoughts at the moment are to pack in road cycling and stick with touring. Has anyone who has a road bike and tourer ever felt this way?

ZIZAG

Veteran
I know exactly where you coming from .
Reading through your story ,It seems to me you are leaning heavely on touring and the touring bike . There is no need to give up road cycling and road bike altogether .
You can still mix and match .
Maybe you might have lost your enthusiam .
Found you get more joy from touring .
And all the fun of planning routes and camping out and the challenge .
So I would go with your Instinct .
As you have already bought the tourer and pannier s .
So as Regards to buying camping gear ,I would advise to go and think Minimalistic .
Tent around 1Kg , Down sleeping bag below 800grams
SIM about 600grams .
As for stoves look at MSR pocket rocket/ and microrocket
Featherweight 80grams and Gaz canisters about 300grams .
Although you might be dictated by what you can afford . It's part of the fun getting all the gear.
And making it all worthwhile .
Best of luck and enjoy your touring .

You can do some shakedown tours with simulated weight and youth hostel or other lodging.
Sept is a lovely month for Euro-touring. You can do it tent-free hostel touring, tent but no cookware or full camping/cooking.
I like the no cookware style in France and Spain, it forces you to enjoy the local specialties. I haven't tried wild camping outside of Scandinavia so mostly I stay in campsites. The Gelhert Solo was my first tent and was a steal. It held up to some heavy rain but headroom is a bit restrictive. I used a cheap synthetic 2 season and suffered one cold night in the mountains but otherwise was very comfortable. For more Northerly camping I used a thicker 3 season quality synthetic. Lightweight camping is not such an expensive proposition these days.
I did end up taking my touring bike over some serious off-road mountain trails and was getting funny looks from the local MTB riders.
With the lightest style of riding, esp in summer, you can make do with a bar bag and a saddle bag, so your road bike can serve. Later in the year you might expect cold weather and storms in the mountains so you need to bring extra clothing.
The current style of CX inspired doitall roadbike is a useful type for Euro touring and more.

Last edited:
Why would you consider stopping something you (presumably) enjoy because you've found something else you enjoy doing?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. (Unless, of course, you're involved in some kind of an unusual "relationship" with your bikes, and each is expecting you to be monogamous^_^)

And as for this...

Obviously the most important requirement is a touring bike and bought it last week with rear panniers.
This, in my humble opinion, and experience, is very, very far from the truth.
The most important thing to go on a tour is the right attitude.

[QUOTE="GmanUK65, post: 5355850, member: 31295"
I'm getting a bit an anxious about as I want to get the kit quicker than I can afford, so I can get out. [/QUOTE]
As was pointed out numerous times, you could have put a touring set-up together for about 100 quid. Nothing fancy, but enough to get you on the road.

If it's making you anxious, then STOP!!!!! and use whatever you have.
Look at this for some inspiration: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/first-very-short-tour.234038/

[QUOTE="GmanUK65, post: 5355850, member: 31295"
I suppose what I'm trying to say is my thoughts at the moment are to pack in road cycling and stick with touring. Has anyone who has a road bike and tourer ever felt this way?[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry to be brutal... but what touring?
You've cycled to work on your touring bike for a week.

If you're suggesting selling your road gear to finance your touring gear then I would say no, nay, a thousand times no way.
Don't give up something you enjoy to focus on something you haven't even dipped your toes in yet.

As I've suggested before - you're seriously overthinking all this.

I only post here because in one of your early posts you mentioned a need to keep your dream alive.

What will keep the dream alive, and nourish it and help it to grow and expand is not buying gear. It is experiencing the dream.
And despite your protestations, that is cheap.

Do you know someone who lives 20,30,40,50 miles away? Cycle to them. Stay overnight. Cycle home (on a different route, preferably).
Congratulations! You've completed your first tour.

It.Is. That. Easy.

DanZac

@HobbesOnTour is spot on with everything he says.
I tour, full on camping away for weeks at a time style, I tour, minimalistic sleeping in a bus shelter or bivvy bag style, I tour travelodge and B&B style. And if I'm not touring on my bike I'm probably back packing or running or walking or, and here's the big one, I'm thrashing around for a few hours on the road bike, just anything to get outside.
Sometimes I hotel it on the road bike, sometimes I wild camp or bivvy out on my Audax style bike and sometimes I go to the shops on my tourer but whatever I'm doing I'm not worrying about having the right gear I'm getting out there and finding out what works for me (normally finding out the hard way).
Best thing you can do is beg borrow or steal a tent, tarp or bivvy bag, acquire a sleeping bag that's going to be warm enough and a sleeping mat and just get out there. It's lovely this time of year, still warm but not too hot and the days a drawing in so your not awake at 04:00 when the sun comes up (not that that's a bad thing as it's more day for doing stuff, but not everyone's cup of tea).
Stop thinking about it get out there and enjoy it.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Don't sell the road bike, you'll never get what it's worth.
Wasn't thinking about selling road bike, I would regret it later and what would happen if I wanted to go out on a bike when not touring (or what if touring is not for me as Hobs keep harping on about). I know I shouldn't say this but I was actually hoping that he didn't see this thread because sometimes he comes across negative. I know he knows a lot about what he talks about but I wish he'd stop with the negative comments, they aren't helping. I'm sorry Hobs, I don't want you think that I'm dissing you because I am not,; some of the advice you have given me has been great.

The reason I wrote this thread is because of my thoughts at the time and was wondering what people who tour do with their road bike. Do they still ride it? How often? How much compared to riding their tourer?

Maybe the reason why I am losing interest in road cycling is because I've got this new toy to play with (the tourer). I know I'm eventually going to miss my road bike. I'm in a cycling club too and I will eventually miss riding with them too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wasn't thinking about selling road bike, I would regret it later and what would happen if I wanted to go out on a bike when not touring (or what if touring is not for me as Hobs keep harping on about). I know I shouldn't say this but I was actually hoping that he didn't see this thread because sometimes he comes across negative. I know he knows a lot about what he talks about but I wish he'd stop with the negative comments, they aren't helping. I'm sorry Hobs, I don't want you think that I'm dissing you because I am not,; some of the advice you have given me has been great.

The reason I wrote this thread is because of my thoughts at the time and was wondering what people who tour do with their road bike. Do they still ride it? How often? How much compared to riding their tourer?

Maybe the reason why I am losing interest in road cycling is because I've got this new toy to play with (the tourer). I know I'm eventually going to miss my road bike. I'm in a cycling club too and I will eventually miss riding with them too.
I might have 9 bikes and a trike in my house (not counting Maz's 2) :whistle:

(or what if touring is not for me as Hobs keep harping on about).

If that is what you have taken from my posts (across all your threads) then I have nothing else to add.

Genuinely, I wish you the best of luck.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So, does anyone ride a road bike and, as I'm presuming that everyone who looks at this has a touring bike?
If so where do they both fit in?
The touring bike gets used for most journeys because it's more versatile, including shorter day trips with the local cycling group.

The road bike gets used for longer day trips and other times I want to try to go faster and don't expect to carry much or will tolerate a backpack for it. It'll also come with me soon for a hotel-centred "tour".

Oh and I don't camp when I tour. Hotels and hostels and guesthouses and inns exist.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
The road bike is used for day rides in good weather and is a bit faster. Good for club and social rides.

The routing bike gets used for touring (obviously) as well as night rides and winter days. A road bike is more fun for a short time but the touring bike is fitted with wider tyres and mudguards as well as being more stable.

Crankarm

Guru
Well my "road bikes" are seldom used. If by "road bike" you mean really light racing bike with skinny tyres then we are talking about the same type of bikes. The reason they are seldom used is that I have found the bike that makes me happy and at one with the world. I ride it all the time, commuting, general riding and touring. It is so comfortable. Ok I am not quite so fast on it as when riding my road bikes as it slightly heavier, but what it lacks in full top end speed, it's no slouch by the way and yes it is dependent on how strong a cyclist you are, it makes up for in comfort and lack of maintenance. I don't see why you are being so secretive about what your new touring steed is, you haven't said, but mine is a Surly Troll with Rohloff hub and hydraulic disc brakes. Invariably I have two heavy rear panniers Orliebs on the back when riding so straight away these are increasing my fitness as I have to ride harder to maintain the same average speeds etc which if you do will make you so much fitter and stronger for when you ride your road bikes. Another thing any bike can be a touring bike as long as it fits you and you are comfortable on it. OK perhaps not an S-Works Venge or a full on TT bike but you get my thinking? You could even tour with your road bike by getting some bike packing bags and attaching them to it or if you want to carry more get a Bob Yak trailer and away you go. The important thing is to be out there doing it. It's all very exciting getting the gear but it's being out there that is the real fun. You will learn so much about your kit what you need what you don't in your first few tours and also about yourself. Riding a loaded touring bike is a totally different experience to riding a light carbon or aluminium road racing bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
How about a decent sportive bike? Usually lively enough for most mortals, yet have clearances for proper mudguards and rack mounts. If you could only have one then that's a reasonble compromise. Older steel road bikes of decent quality blur the line between full tourer and sportive even further.

I wouldn't give up riding on the road for pleasure, but if the full on road bike isnt making you smile then a flat bar sport bike or sportive might be worth considering?

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
I'm still not really sure what "pack in road cycling and stick with touring" means. Does it mean never go on a day ride on roads any more, but only ever go on multi-day tours?

I haven't toured for years, but I do most of my cycling these days on my "touring" bike. It has a 531ST steel frame, wider wheels with 32mm tyres (with mudguards during the damper months), two bottle cages, a rack on which I carry a top bag (and which I can also mount panniers), wide-ratio gears with a triple chainset. In short, it's really just a flexible general-purpose bike, and great for long day rides when I want to carry food, plenty of drink, lock, waterproof, spare jersey, a decent set of tools... and that's not touring, it's just cycling.

My "road" bike is also steel, 531c, double chainset, no mudguards, no rack and just a small saddle bag for puncture repair stuff, skinny wheels and 25mm tyres, one bottle cage. Overall it's a fair bit lighter and it feels more responsive and more fun. The main reason it doesn't get as much use as my tourer is that I ride a lot on cycle tracks, canal towpaths etc, which can be a bit rough, and with a group of people - my 32mm tyres are super comfy, and I think it's more important to be better prepared for more eventualities when you're in a group.

But when I'm doing solo, mostly road-only, rides, not too far from home or from safety, I love the "road" bike. It's still pretty good on smooth-surfaced tracks too. Oh, and in the past I've put a rack and panniers on it and gone touring.

I really don't see it as different types of cycling which need different bikes - to me the two bikes just overlap (by quite a lot) on a wide continuum of bike rides. It's pretty much the same with my mountain bike too, which is further along the spectrum from the tourer, but still overlapping.

What overlaps my bikes and riding even more is that I keep two sets of wheels for the tourer with different tyres, one with smoothies and one with treadies, and two for my MTB, smoothies and knobblies - a hardtail MTB with smooth city tyres pumped fairly hard can be a lot of fun.

I'm sure this doesn't answer the question, so I'll have a quick go at that...

When you want to go for a ride, don't try to classify it as a specific kind of ride - just take whatever bike you fancy and have fun.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I like to keep the road bike around for when I need the speed, and the touring bikes (one a modified 26" old Raleigh mountain bike, the other a hybrid modified with drop bars, racks and fenders also,) for when I need to use panniers, as I would have problems with heel strike if I were to try and put a rack on my road bike.

Top Bottom