Touring...or 'bikepacking'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Edit to add: 40" was the lowest gear offered! And I think I'm daft with 42" low here on the edge of the fens.
You watch - Fixie Backpacking, next big craze.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You watch - Fixie Backpacking, next big craze.
Pfffft.
September 2014. Rode Stevenage - St Ives (the one near Huntingdon). Night in a hotel, pub with band. Next day, down the guided Busway to Cambridge for lunch, then back via Shelford, Fowlmere and Ashwell.
All on my Dynatech fixed. Although IIRC the leg from Cambridge was into the wind so I flipped the wheel - I have a 15T fixed and a 17T freewheel, for 69" or 61", That's on a 39T chainset and 700C, 24mm tyre.
Honestly, there's nothing new. Hells teeth, for a long while the Tour was done on fixed, although I'd hate to try it. Going round Provence on a Brompton felt daft enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
This was our 'big' trip - we're starting to dream about recreating it in a few years when our son is a little older (he's just 11 now).

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=2820&v=oa
I'm still enjoying my daily ration^_^
As regards your son, I bought my trailer from a couple in Belgium who stopped touring when their 2 kids were babies but once grown a little, (the girl was nowhere near 11) they hired kid's e-bikes for tours.
No point in buying e-bikes for growing kids, they had their own panniers and while range may not be the full adult range they still covered decent distances.
I've seen more than a few family groups on my wanderings.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I can't tell you how happy it makes me that you're enjoying your daily ration of our trip :smile:

Interesting point about renting an ebike for my son. That's a really good idea. But...he'd be so much faster than me....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think not. 2015, more like.

They hadn't invented the Canon 350D in 1912. Besides which I think both the bike and luggage would have been in a better state

The bike and luggage are original 1912

chriswoody

Legendary Member

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Jeez.

I know nothing about cameras, but even l could tell the pic was more recent than 1912 😄

I doubt any deception was intended!

Well of course , it is just showing that the backpacking luggage ideas aren’t new. You’d have to be a bit dim to think it was trying to say it was a photo from 1912. If anyone is concentrating on when the photo was taken, they are missing the point by a country mile. 😂

Top Bottom