Touring...or 'bikepacking'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I came across the term bikepacking in the early 80s when I checked this out of the school library!

Incidentally the school library was a great place. I went to what some parents referred to as the sink school. Volunteered in the library for a bit. I had a friend at school who hipped me on to all sorts of stuff- including the Tour on CH4, The Blackbyrds... we were both fascinated with those big art books in the section called 'oversize'- 'what have you got this time?' 'El Greco!'

Found him on Facebook recently and he'd posted about going to see Jim Davidson. Ah Well.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm completely with you on that regard, however I need fat tires for the terrain I'm riding on and that sadly leaves no room for mudguards, or at least I've not found any that fit. The rear pack does offer quite a bit of protection though.

Indeed but you missed the bit in my post that said on road tours. Thus excluding anything involving decent amounts of off road.

Fram

This was our 'big' trip - we're starting to dream about recreating it in
DSC03490.JPG
a few years when our son is a little older (he's just 11 now).

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=2820&v=oa
Lovely bike. My grand-daughter's called Liesl. Fram is my Thorn XTC. I found your trip some time back when "researching".

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Lovely bike. My grand-daughter's called Liesl. Fram is my Thorn XTC. I found your trip some time back when "researching".
Oh that’s lovely! I hope my journal was helpful for your research. If our child had been a girl, she would have been named Liesl, it’s such a lovely name!! Your bike is gorgeous too. I can’t wait to tour this summer (I hope)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Source (with vintage sexism) seems to be https://triumphbicycles.wordpress.com/1912-royal-triumph-with-military-fittings/

The gun/umbrella carrier is cool but those brakes make me wince just thinking about them, given how iffy even modern calipers on steel rims can be as soon as they're wet.

Edit to add: 40" was the lowest gear offered! And I think I'm daft with 42" low here on the edge of the fens... And that front roll pack is supported by a substantial front rack, so is is still bike packing? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom