Touring...or 'bikepacking'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I like this thread. I always thought bikepacking was the yoof’s trendy name for ‘back-packing‘ on a bike. I now see it as touring but fast paced on any bike not necessarily a touring specific bike.
I recently bought a Mason and their ethos of ‘faster, Further’ supports this theory but they have bike packing bikes with multi mounting points, racks and designed for minimalist multi day rides. So their bikes are touring specific, but minimalist. Pic below

May I congratulate you on the colour coordination!

May I congratulate you on the colour coordination!
Ah, that’s not little old me...that’s Josh Ibbett the Transcontinental winner amongst other things and Mason sponsored cyclist :smile:

iandg

Legendary Member
Ah that's OK,

Speed isn't everything :rolleyes:

I'm highly inconsistent on the speed front anyway, some days it matters, others not so much.

One reason why I'm probs best suited to going alone -

That and the singing :stop:

Recent Topics

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I first heard bike packing in the way others have described it, back in the 80s.

Take back packing, as in carrying your home in a pack on your back on foot. Then instead of walking, use your bike and carry the pack on that. It was up in Scotland where bikes were being used to cut down the long walk on tracks from the road.

This was back in the 80s. Even without the packing bit, you’d often ride the bike along the land rover tracks. Hide the bike in some forestry somewhere or park it at a bothy. Go climb a mountain / hill on foot then return to your bike and ride back out or stop in the bothy overnight.

The use of bike packing to describe touring on road being a lot more recent.

Plus as the Rough Stuff Fellowship shows. People have been strapping stuff to their bikes for over 100 years and going on wild adventures. I remember reading the Rough Stuff Fellowship magazines at YHA back in the 80s as well.

What’s new is all the dedicated gear you can now get. But someone will probably point out that some of the stuff in the early 1900s was specially made!

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I first heard bike packing in the way others have described it, back in the 80s.

Take back packing, as in carrying your home in a pack on your back on foot. Then instead of walking use your bike and carry the pack on that. It was up in Scotland where bikes were being used to cut down the long walk on tracks from the road.

This was back in the 80s. Even without the packing bit, you’d often ride the bike along the land rover tracks. Hide the bike in some forestry somewhere or park it at a bothy. Go climb a mountain / hill on foot then return to your bike and / or stop in the bothy overnight.

The use to describe touring on road being a lot more recent.

Ah yes, that's the sort of thing I do..
Stash the bike and then go and do a hill, away from the bike sometimes.

My alpkit 40 litre backpack is my tent bag on the rack in transit. But can hold enough for an overnight walking trip too.

And then there's the hike n bike nutters, who instead of just leaving the bike hidden somewhere, will sling it over their shoulder and cart it up all sorts.

I'd hasten to add - some of those 'nutters' are good freinds of mine ;)

Fram

Bikepacking?
DSC04587.JPG
DSC04586.JPG

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Ah yes, that's the sort of thing I do..
Stash the bike and then go and do a hill, away from the bike sometimes.

My alpkit 40 litre backpack is my tent bag on the rack in transit. But can hold enough for an overnight walking trip too.

And then there's the hike n bike nutters, who instead of just leaving the bike hidden somewhere, will sling it over their shoulder and cart it up all sorts.

I'd hasten to add - some of those 'nutters' are good freinds of mine ;)

It was a revelation when I first encountered it. It suddenly made the more remote routes accessible in a day. Plus it avoided a long trudge at the start or end of day to get to the more interesting mountain bits.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have a Dawes Super Galaxy, here it is on a mountain in bike packing, touring, whatever you want to call it mode!

View attachment 568014
That looks a lot like the setups we're going with on our regular road bikes for LEJOG this year. Nice to see you've eschewed mudguards to keep the clean lines of the bike ^_^

I've spent about £60 on the bikepacking bags so it was a way cheaper option to try touring than getting a touring specific bike, panniers etc. If I love it I may invest at some point but we're just dipping our toes and we like our carbon road bikes too

That looks a lot like the setups we're going with on our regular road bikes for LEJOG this year. Nice to see you've eschewed mudguards to keep the clean lines of the bike ^_^

I've spent about £60 on the bikepacking bags so it was a way cheaper option to try touring than getting a touring specific bike, panniers etc. If I love it I may invest at some point but we're just dipping our toes and we like our carbon road bikes too
A future option ^_^ https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/bokeh-bikes

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It was a revelation when I first encountered it. It suddenly made the more remote routes accessible in a day. Plus it avoided a long trudge at the start or end of day to get to the more interesting mountain bits.

Yes I take your point, but as a sometimes slightly grumpy, solitude loving hill goer, it can be a bit annoying when there's cyclists riding all over our remote places.

When we have slogged all day to get there on foot.

There's so many more rideable land-rover tracks in the Highlands now.

Grump over - I'm being a total hypocrite here anyway... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom