Touring...or 'bikepacking'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Now, THIS bit interests me. It hadn't occurred to me that bike-packing kit would be an easy way to convert a road bike into a tourer (in some respects). Sounds obvious but I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.

For credit card tours there's also the option of the traditional saddlebag and barbag. Back in the 70s it was common to put a saddlebag on a road bike and head out on a hostelling weekend

iandg

Legendary Member
During our lock down for 9 weeks in 2020 when we were banned from cycling I tortured myself by watch this guys travels.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqiYX6cqxQI9CqhH_kvHeOw.
He started in Alaska on a conventional touring bike with panniers but these days is on a fat bike bikepacking in South America.
If you watch his videos it's clear why for his type of exploring he's made the change.
I've seen most of his videos and what he puts himself and bikes through is incredible.
If you do take a look start with him on his touring bike and you'll see why he's changed from touring bike to a bike packing machine.

My brother-in-law 'tortures' me sending back pics of his long distance tours. He rode this from Vancouver to Mexico - mostly camping. He only has use of 1 arm, he shattered his brachial plexus in a motorbike accident years ago. Definitely a tourist. He takes his time and stops over places to absorb the culture (and recover strength in his good arm).

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
With all this talk of 'bike packing' I suppose it's no use asking if anyone has a Dawes Galaxy?
Paul Donahue handbuilt 531st, which is pretty close. My aim is to get it powder coated (possibly in celeste) :becool:
and build it up in a retro style. Moustache bars and downtube levers, all the old-skool stuff. Except that means I'll have to fight with cantilever brakes. Again...

...in addition to also fitting on a bike which is probably a bit quicker than a traditional touring bike...
That. I did a few overnight tours on my carbon road bike, but a Topeak Backloader would have been a lot better than a Carradice Barley. And looked nowhere near as ridiculous.

Top Bottom