Touring...or 'bikepacking'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Being a complete tart I have to take everything including the kitchen sink.
Ooooh now that I want to see!:becool:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nobody seems to have mentioned trailers yet. I started off with just a large saddlebag and we toured for up to a couple of weeks at a time with minimal gear and sometimes used hostels but often just stopped wherever we could find shelter and firewood. After I got married we went to panniers which were ex army haversacks and went for weekends away and also some two week tours.
Latterly I used a large Columbus trailer but then went to a BoB which took too much stuff but was easier for packing and used it in the Outer Isles and Orkney as well as mainland Scotland.
Bikepacking is to my mind just an expensive way to carry whatever you need.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Uhuh.. Off to catch the ferry to my favouritist Scottish Island Harris..

No offence to erstwhile residents of Lewis you understand.. :angel:
To be pedantic Harris is not really an island being firmly attached to Lewis by a steep hill to discourage you from heading north.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nobody seems to have mentioned trailers yet. I started off with just a large saddlebag and we toured for up to a couple of weeks at a time with minimal gear and sometimes used hostels but often just stopped wherever we could find shelter and firewood. After I got married we went to panniers which were ex army haversacks and went for weekends away and also some two week tours.
Latterly I used a large Columbus trailer but then went to a BoB which took too much stuff but was easier for packing and used it in the Outer Isles and Orkney as well as mainland Scotland.
Err I refer you to post #70

3 'touring' bikes here, a light one (Raleigh Equipe) a medium one (Ridgeback Adventure) and a heavy one also used to pull a trailer (Raleigh Outlander rigid MTB)

:okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
To be pedantic Harris is not really an island being firmly attached to Lewis by a steep hill to discourage you from heading north.

^_^.. Everytime..

I know cos my absolute favouritist part is to be found on the bit that probs should be called Lewis, if there was any sense in arbitrary lines drawn on a map.. :wacko:

Must say, my default touring kit now is a Brompton M12R and 1.5 kg of T-Bag. Gives me 30l of luggage, which is more than I need for ten days, plus stuff on the rear rack if I need it, and allows me to travel on Eurostar, busses and anything else that takes my fancy.
That 15l Topeak bag looks good though.
what bag do you put on the brommie's rear rack?
(I have a 5 speed brommie and also an old front touring bag - they may have changed then design - but never used it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I used to transport children, and work stuff in trailers.

So not having one feels more like 'holidays'

but I think it might be time to get an ebike and trailer for utility use..

Seen a few folks holidaying with dogs in bike trailers.. I guess the hounds enjoy it.:blink:

Top Bottom