Touring...or 'bikepacking'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We had a related thread back in the summer. Happy to stand by what I wrote there:
What do I think? Touring has had a big boost in popularity. The trend was led by the Ultra-racing crowd (e.g. Mike Hall RIP) - these folks adopted very light/flimsy bags (which makes some sense), and aero setups (which makes sense if you plan to average 18mph+ and you have a time limit or are racing).

Because ultra-racing is considered cooler than mere touring, the term "bike-packing" has been adopted by those wanting to tour and be cool. They tend to use the same style of luggage as the ultra-racers - just in case anyone accuses them of touring,

chriswoody

Legendary Member
This theme of cumbersome and unwieldy seems to be coming through a lot. Let me give you an example of my latest overnighter the other week. The bike looked like this:

IMG_20201228_133910862.jpg

So when I arrived at the site, I unclipped two clips to release the red drybag which had my down jacket in. Then two more buckles and my front drybag drops out. In here was the tent, sleeping mat and inflatable pillow all rolled up tightly. Once all that was up, I then unclipped two more buckles in the rear pack and unrolled the end to reveal my sleeping bag, leaving the empty bag attached to my seatpost/saddle. Then I unzipped my middle bag to take out my pan/cooker/gas and popped a coffee on.

I really don't consider any of the above to be any more of a faff than a traditional set up.

As for the wanting to be cool moniker, please give it a rest. I'm not trying to be cool, I just want to tour off-road in more remote terrain and this set up is much more suited to that approach than using racks and panniers. Yes it is touring, nobody is saying otherwise, but Bikepacking is just a more accurate way to describe it, because it's a combination of lightweight backpacking and bike touring.

dodgy

I just did, a couple of posts before!

I mean in the general sense, the various blogs, magazine articles and forum posts have moved onto bikepacking as it seems new, even though it isn't really. About 10 years ago you couldn't move for credit card touring articles.

I mean in the general sense, the various blogs, magazine articles and forum posts have moved onto bikepacking as it seems new, even though it isn't really. About 10 years ago you couldn't move for credit card touring articles.
Indeed.
Marketing is about selling stuff. Luggage, new bikes, new clothing (yes - gravel shorts, gravel shoes etc!). So of course the media is full of this new sexy term. It was bound to knock "credit card touring" for six.

[Plus tbf credit-card doesn't cover camping out, so it was bound to be left out of this latest surge. Sorry![

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I worry about older cyclists staying flexible: well the good news is, their hips/pelvis area should stay trim if they're swinging a leg over these bags twice a day:
View attachment 567674

You know maybe you should stop being so narrow minded and talking crap and actually try things out rather than denigrating those of us who actually are open minded to give things a go.

Chris - get a sense of humour. You've gone completely off the rails with that post!

(It's not even related to what I actually wrote - you've just let yourself be triggered.)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Indeed.
Marketing is about selling stuff. Luggage, new bikes, new clothing (yes - gravel shorts, gravel shoes etc!). So of course the media is full of this new sexy term. It was bound to knock "credit card touring" for six.

[Plus tbf credit-card doesn't cover camping out, so it was bound to be left out of this latest surge. Sorry![

So it is all 'credit card' touring in a sense.

Only you just need to use that card upfront a bit more.

I'm probs a hybrid of all three, after a few nights out camping in the wilds, I'm more than happy to check book into some accomodation using my 'credi' (debit) card, and the power of t'internet.

Booking. com has revolutionised my trips, I can turn up wherever, and if its pouring with rain, and I haven't had a shower for a few days, rather than hunker down in the woods being dripped on I can check myself into somewhere warm and dry..

-and wash and dry all my stuff in the en-suite.. :blush:

lane

Veteran
Camping hasn't really appealed to me, partly carrying extra weight and partly B&B whatever just seems like it is more comfortable. Also because my trips are quite limited the up front cost isn't really worth it. However I am aware that when I retire, if i want to do a fair bit more touring (which I do) it will probably need to be camping purely for financial reasons.

I did do a little bit of cycle camping and backpacking in my teens and was fine with it then.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I came across the term bikepacking in the early 80s when I checked this out of the school library! (term was used to describe pannier-based loaded touring). Now I associate the term with more lightweight -often wild- touring using seatpost/ frame bags.

Looking at that image I wish I out bikepacking now (maybe on a Jack Taylor instead of a Surly)

Top Bottom