Touring...or 'bikepacking'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As to aero dynamics no more than 9 mins difference over 100km. Hardly worth worrying about on a road tour. In a race, fair enough.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Now, THIS bit interests me. It hadn't occurred to me that bike-packing kit would be an easy way to convert a road bike into a tourer (in some respects). Sounds obvious but I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.
I'm firmly in the credit card touring camp. Until Covid-19 struck myself and a buddy had a plan to ride to Nice for the start of the TdF. A three week trip.

I would have ridden my summer bike with a Restrap bag and a bar bag. Nothing else needed.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I'm firmly in the credit card touring camp. Until Covid-19 struck myself and a buddy had a plan to ride to Nice for the start of the TdF. A three week trip.

I would have ridden my summer bike with a Restrap bag and a bar bag. Nothing else needed.
PaulSB you’re a mature gentleman velonaut . Bike packing NO. A Dawes Galaxy or Claud Butler Dalesman loaded with Carradice is more appropriate. :rolleyes:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I find this a fascinating thread. I'm not sure I can aid the debate on a definition but it has lead me to think about how adaptable modern bikes can be.

I had to write off my tourer in January 2020. A month back I picked up my new bike, a Kinesis Tripster ATR V3. The way this bike is set up it ticks several boxes:
  • Winter bike
  • Gravel bike
  • Bike packing
  • Touring
Thinking it over I feel the difference in definition is simply the amount of baggage one chooses to carry. Bike packing is the minimalist credit card approach, I tend towards this, while a touring set up means carrying camping equipment etc.

Going back to my earlier comment about riding to Nice. I overlooked the need to carry a lot of water. This might have swung me to using panniers to carry a meal and water, both of which have proved important in the past.

The decision really depends on where one is riding.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Fixed base day tripping. No more airplane rides for us anymore 😕 View attachment 567801

Where is this please..
Pretty sure not Somerset..

As to aero dynamics no more than 9 mins difference over 100km. Hardly worth worrying about on a road tour. In a race, fair enough.

Expect yr right..
But hey it looks cool right??

I find this a fascinating thread. I'm not sure I can aid the debate on a definition but it has lead me to think about how adaptable modern bikes can be.

I had to write off my tourer in January 2020. A month back I picked up my new bike, a Kinesis Tripster ATR V3. The way this bike is set up it ticks several boxes:
  • Winter bike
  • Gravel bike
  • Bike packing
  • Touring
Thinking it over I feel the difference in definition is simply the amount of baggage one chooses to carry. Bike packing is the minimalist credit card approach, I tend towards this, while a touring set up means carrying camping equipment etc.

Going back to my earlier comment about riding to Nice. I overlooked the need to carry a lot of water. This might have swung me to using panniers to carry a meal and water, both of which have proved important in the past.

The decision really depends on where one is riding.

I'd disagree that 'bikepacking' doesn't include camping.

Some folks take superlight tarps and don't expect to be very well protected from the elements.

Often no stove either.. How do they get going without tea?? :cry:

Other of us take more kit..
But tending towards the lighter side.

- basically all my lightweight hiking gear doubles up for bike packing/ touring.

But the prime differentiation in many folks minds seems to be panniers versus strap ons..

I use a combination of the two.
And ride a hybrid on tour, off and on road, for weeks at a time.
So clearly very mixed up :wacko:

Maybe there needs to be a new 'third way' classification again -

Ha - more marketing opportunities.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Where is this please..
Pretty sure not Somerset..

Expect yr right..
But hey it looks cool right??

I'd disagree that 'bikepacking' doesn't include camping.

Some folks take superlight tarps and don't expect to be very well protected from the elements.

Often no stove either.. How do they get going without tea?? :cry:

Other of us take more kit..
But tending towards the lighter side.

- basically all my lightweight hiking gear doubles up for bike packing/ touring.

But the prime differentiation in many folks minds seems to be panniers versus strap ons..

I use a combination of the two.
And ride a hybrid on tour, off and on road, for weeks at a time.
So clearly very mixed up :wacko:

Maybe there needs to be a new 'third way' classification again -

Ha - more marketing opportunities.
You should get in with a patent and copyright application ASAP. :laugh:

Top Bottom