Touring Pedals and Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
View attachment 429560

As far as shoes go I’ve just bought some Giro Rumble shoes. A friend has some at work and they don’t look too “cycling” as he wears them round the office but they arent too MTB chunky either. Seem to have a decent grip on them too.
I was looking at these but every time I check online they never have my size (UK 11/EU 46) or too expensive. In fact all my preferences never are the right size. I have gotten used to not using SPDs so I've swapped the pedals back to originals and now looking for non SPD shoes. This way I have more choice and a better chance of my size.

I remember when I was riding before road cycling and never used SPDs then.

I was looking at these but every time I check online they never have my size (UK 11/EU 46) or too expensive. In fact all my preferences never are the right size. I have gotten used to not using SPDs so I've swapped the pedals back to originals and now looking for non SPD shoes. This way I have more choice and a better chance of my size.

I bought a pair of size 11 muddyfox spd shoes from Sports Direct

minininjarob

I was the same, preferred flat pedals on my touring bike. But I’ve damaged both my Achilles quite badly recently and one of the solutions for me is to make sure my feet are in exactly the right position on the pedals to correct my pedalling style. Hopefully the SPD setup will do this.

I’ve always ridden tours with MTB flat pedal shoes and DMR V8’s up until now.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
15377892831542397096664443894505.jpg 15377892831542397096664443894505.jpg 15377894696594407081916486232670.jpg 15377895101062622280489560411053.jpg Got my shoes today, O'Neal Pinned Pedal Shoe.

15377892831542397096664443894505.jpg

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I would be interested to hear how you get on with the O’Neals @GmanUK65 !
Good grip but would be better with pinned MTB pedals as in the wet they were not that grippy. I did not know much about the souls but someone mentioned to me they are made so the pins of the pedals fit into the holes in the soul so looks like I will be investing in some new pedals again

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good grip but would be better with pinned MTB pedals as in the wet they were not that grippy. I did not know much about the souls but someone mentioned to me they are made so the pins of the pedals fit into the holes in the soul so looks like I will be investing in some new pedals again
Don't forget shinpads when using 'pinned' pedals. :ohmy: :cry: :sad:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Do you service them?
I have only ever kept them clean and lightly oiled. They have worked perfectly well for years

I have only ever kept them clean and lightly oiled. They have worked perfectly well for years
thanks for the reply.

I recently bought the uber expensive tiddly tool for these that allows you to adjust the bearings.

Though my favoured touring pedal more recently is the MKS Sylvan touring pedal. Provides enough grip for most touring shoes I think. Pins seem to me to be terrible shoe-damaging overkill. A joy to use something so old-fashioned designed as the Sylvan. Simplicity itself to take them apart, regrease and put back together again.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.MKS-Sylvan...MI25KDiLz03QIVWOR3Ch3sLQ_AEAQYAiABEgL8WPD_BwE

The only special tool you need is a £7 or so thing to take the end cap off - makes it easier to do without damaging/degrading it, but not strictly necessary.

minininjarob

Just bought some DMR V8s. Hopefully won't have shin damage problems as I've heard this usually only occurs while trying tricks such as bunny hops. Somehow I don't think tricks could be done on a 15kg touring bike lol

Here's a trick with V8's. Get a proper grease gun and pump them full of grease via the grease port until it splurges out before you use them. I've always put V8's on my bikes and this stops muck getting in, makes them run smoother and makes them last years and years. They do come with some grease in them but they could do with more and the supplied little grease tube doesn't work that well to be honest.

Great pedals - I've had V8 Magnesiums on my touring bike up until now.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Here's a trick with V8's. Get a proper grease gun and pump them full of grease via the grease port until it splurges out before you use them. I've always put V8's on my bikes and this stops muck getting in, makes them run smoother and makes them last years and years. They do come with some grease in them but they could do with more and the supplied little grease tube doesn't work that well to be honest.

I've started using them but have put no grease in (maybe I should do soon) what kind of grease do I use?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I fill my V8s with white Finish Line. You need a grease gun as said upthread as the supplied syringe isn’t brilliant. The red grease supplied is half as much as you need too. You can completely disassemble the pedals and service if need be. Sometimes the grease dries out, but you can flush it with degreaser and start again without taking them apart.

Never shinned myself with them. YET :dry:

Bodhbh

Guru

I didn't realise they had a grease port. Typically, I undo the end cap with the allen socket, squirt that full of grease, fill the cap with grease, and screw it back on. Screwing the cap back on pushes the grease all the way through the pedal and dirty grease comes out the end near the crank.

Top Bottom