Touring Pedals and Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I've been riding a road bike for a few years now and using SPDs. I now also have a touring bike, but still planning on using my road bike too. The touring bike did not come with SPD pedals but I plan on using them on this bike too. When riding this bike I have found that when not on the roads I have to keep taking my feet off the Pedals so SPDs would be no good in this instance. Another thing I would like to do when using SPD shoes is walking in them so the cleats will have to be in a recess within the sole.

So, the pedals I am thinking of using is Shimano M324 Pedals which are classed as touring pedals. These have one side as SPD and the other side as flat. Has anyone used these kinds of pedals?

The problem I am having is finding the right shoes. The SPD shoes I use on my road bike would do everything as needed except the soles of these shoes have no grip for gripping the flat side of the pedals and even though they can be walked in, the soles are a bit stiff.

I am trying to find shoes that are similar to my road shoes above but that have a grippy sole that is not too stiff (not Quamms as they are too expensive). So far I have only found 2:

Shimano MT3s but apparently these have no grip
O'Neal MTB Flow, these have the grip but looking at the photos they don't look as they have the cleats recessed so walking in them would be difficult.

Has anyone experienced any of the shoes above?
Has anyone got any other shoe suggestions?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use the 324s on one of my touring bikes and a pair of similar Wellgo pedals on another, the Wellgo are a better pedal. As for shoes I have a pair of Specialized shoes with laces
130_Spec_Sonoma_1.jpg

The oval in the middle can be cut out to reveal the cleat fixing holes.

(I've also got a couple of pairs of ankle boots which I prefer)

For touring I would not use cleats, they are OK on roads, but if you go of tarmac, you often find you need to do the quick dab of the foot to balance the Bike, I used cleats on one of my tours, and found myself on the ground a few times as I could not release quick enough to balance the bike when the front wheel had kicked against the rough surface of the track.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
For touring I would not use cleats, they are OK on roads, but if you go of tarmac, you often find you need to do the quick dab of the foot to balance the Bike, I used cleats on one of my tours, and found myself on the ground a few times as I could not release quick enough to balance the bike when the front wheel had kicked against the rough surface of the track.
Yes I do agree what you say. I've only ridden to work and back a few times so far half and half track and road. While on tracks I have to occasionally put one of my feet down off the pedals but that is why I am planning on getting SPD one sided pedals which are flat on otherside. SPD for roads, flat for tracks

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Try the pedals before going on tour. Single side spd/flats sounds great, but faffing about trying to get the correct side of the pedal each time you pull away soon wears thin. I'd recommend either one or the other.
yes you are probably right but I've still got to try them. My main concern is getting too used to flat pedalling, as it would be this that I'd choose if I went one or the other. If I got too used to this then it would worry me that when I am clipped in on my road bike and forgetting at junctions etc.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
www.cyclechat.net/threads/advice-regarding-shimano-spd-pedals.238501

I have a pair of these which seems to have been replaced by these.

Definitely suggest using double sided spd pedals for all situations, it is what they were invented for and are miles better than the old clips and straps system they took over from.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Try the pedals before going on tour. Single side spd/flats sounds great, but faffing about trying to get the correct side of the pedal each time you pull away soon wears thin. I'd recommend either one or the other.
I've never found it a faff finding the correct side of the pedal, due to the way they're weighted they always sit 'cleat down' when you set off and once you start pedalling you can use this weighting to get them to flip over by simply taking your foot off the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke and putting it back on at the top.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Yes I do agree what you say. I've only ridden to work and back a few times so far half and half track and road. While on tracks I have to occasionally put one of my feet down off the pedals but that is why I am planning on getting SPD one sided pedals which are flat on otherside. SPD for roads, flat for tracks

I use that style of pedal on my tourer and I find it ideal. I'd do some longer rides in SPD's before you tour though.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Alas, I've never found them to be so accommodating in presenting the desired side.

With mine I find that I push forward to get the SPD side as normal and for the flat side place the centre of your shoe on the front and pull back.

I'll think how to word this better as it's now automatic for me now.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I use that style of pedal on my tourer and I find it ideal. I'd do some longer rides in SPD's before you tour though.
I'm quite used to doing long rides in SPDs when riding my road bike. Most of my rides were in the region of 60 to 80 miles and several 100+ miles. My longest I've done is 140 miles. Though my road bike is carbon fibre so it is much lighter than my tourer and also has tyres with less tread, so riding 100+ miles on a tourer will be difficult. Also I am finding the speed average is much less on a tourer (10mph compared to 15-16mph on road bike) so 100+ miles on a tourer would take much longer (I am thinking that 70 miles would be a maximum for me, even less at say 50 miles max for hilly rides)

Top Bottom