Touring weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, how light do you think you could travel on a 4 month trip, france, spain during summer 50/50 split wild camping and sites. Anyone here travel very light on similar trips?

Thanks

Are you planning to cook?

You can't use a tarp in commercial campsites, so you need a tent. Do you have tent/bag/mat.
If you cook, you are not going ultralight. On a weekend cooking trip you can slim down but for extended camping you end up with packets of rice + pasta + 1l of fuel +cooking oil, electrical gadgets, books, maps etc. Can you slim down to 2 large panniers?
Like Dave says, take what you need, and find your own speed.

OP
OP
roundisland
The reason for going light is I will have about 4/5 kg of painting equipment to carry + I want a bigger tent, last time I had a terra nova comp it was too small I'm thinking my tent might possibly way 4kg+painting equipment 5kg. I'm upto 9kg before all the other stuff. I don't really want to go much heavier than total weight 14kg not including the bike of course. Everything else has to come in 5kg cooking, clothes, spares, tools, toiletries etc

I guess i just have to do it but the reason i ask is somebody here might have travelled light it would be interesting to know how they got on.
|

MarkF

Guru
Don't think I'd take anything different for 4 months than I would for 2 weeks so that'd be about 6 or 7 kg's (max) including the 2 panniers. I don't cook on tour and if it's room only then I'd be down to 5kg.

OP
OP
roundisland
Thanks mark interesting to know how much you carry. Is there a consensus of the average touring weight of kit not including the bike? I'm guessing around 12kg??

jags

Guru
sounds like a great way to tour , do you paint landscapes .
one thing for certain you will never get bored .
brilliant skill to have my son is an artist you guys make it look so easy.

Thanks mark interesting to know how much you carry. Is there a consensus of the average touring weight of kit not including the bike? I'm guessing around 12kg??

12 kg sounds nice. The only time I ever weighed my gear I think it was something like 26 kg, and I've only added stuff to my bags since then. Just take what you need. And the painting sounds great. If you run out of cash, you could always do a front door or two.

OP
OP
roundisland
Yes I do mostly landscapes and seascapes. I spent much of my adult life in the Isles of Scilly so painting the sea was really all there was. I couldn't imagine my life without painting now it becomes part of who you are. I will add I'm not very successful though, I've usually has to work part time to make enough to pay the bills.

I am hoping to sell some of my work via my website as i travel I'm not dependent on it but it would be welcome extra as my budget is quite tight. 26kg thats a lot its made me feel a lot better that, that sort of weight is even possible. I am planning on getting a bigger tent around 4kg. I want the space this time. I was thinking about the Nammatj 3gt in poor weather i would be able to spread my work out and sort things nicely it looks like a spacious tent from the videos I've seen on Youtube.
I think I am worrying to much about weight if I can keep it under 17kg it would be fine.

I think you have to look at the total weight of yourself, Bike, panniers and other equipment, also how fit you are. But for myself, I use my backpacking kit for cycling panniers rather than rucksack, which weights out at 14Kg,s. I guess the total weight including myself is about 120 Kg,s and I have no problems with weight effecting my touring, so I guess your painting equipment would not add too much to you speed/hill climbing.

sidevalve

Über Member
Only one point I can add - take some gaffa/duct tape and a few cable ties. Never mind the weight - one day you will bless it. You can temporarily fix anything with them from a tent pole to a pannier to a frame tube and before anyone says anything no you really aint always near a bike/camping shop wherever you tour

Top Bottom