Touring weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only one point I can add - take some gaffa/duct tape and a few cable ties. Never mind the weight - one day you will bless it. You can temporarily fix anything with them from a tent pole to a pannier to a frame tube and before anyone says anything no you really aint always near a bike/camping shop wherever you tour
duct tape truly is wonderful stuff, but how would you fix a broken frame tube with it?

willem

Über Member
Apart from your painting stuf and the extra weight of the larger tent, lightweight kit would be about 12-15 kg. A decent touring bike should handle an extra 10 kg without problems, even if it will be harder work, and even if the bike's handling will be more sluggish, of course.

Brains

Legendary Member
4 days or 4 months, it does not make any real difference in weight/what you take
Just ensure you do a three day/two night test run before you go, as it will tell you what you can leave behind

For a multi night trip with camping/cooking gear I aim for 10KG, but usually end up closer to 14kg,
You really don't want to go over 15kg including water/tools and painting gear

OP
OP
roundisland
Thanks Brains that's the weight limits I'm hoping to stay within. I will certainly be doing a couple of shake down runs before the off. Advice appreciated.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I used to find, even when I was younger, and also on a 4130 bike at the time, that about 15 kg was the upper limit, as it weight above that cut into my speed and stamina drastically. As well as the ability of my tires to hold up or wheels to not break spokes at times. Luckily, tents and cooking gear are much lighter. I still have luggage and diet scales to weigh things out by the gram. You'd be surprised at what sort of weight you can save across a touring load. Good judgement and cold calculation will net you a lighter load. It is worth the time, and significant trouble it takes, to set up a spreadsheet of your camping gear, and its' weight, so that for this, and any future tours, you can have that information right at your fingertips.

Top Bottom