Towing another (riderless) bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thank you everyone. So far, it looks like trailer-based solutions are favoured. I guess the stability is worth having to drag an empty trailer one way.

In the end I bought a second hand toddler trailer cheap on ebay which I then converted to allow me to strap the speedway bike into it. There's a picture of it here:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-practical-bike.166516/#post-3312615
So it's just strapped in with the front wheel off and there's nothing under the forks except maybe some padding? I could probably have a go at that without buying any more kit. Any things I should beware?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X6XqVLHLEW4/U4HuWngy1vI/AAAAAAAAFd4/foEagMFeMCs/s1600/CM8.JPG
I can contact the person in the picture if more information needed?
That looks like one of the car roof racks I mentioned in my idea 4. It's attractive because the bike wouldn't need dismantling. If you don't mind, I'd love to know how steady it is and if it tries to roll over?

Globalti

Legendary Member
What's all the fuss about? As kids we often used to ride while wheeling a second bike alongside. You just need to allow for the un-braked weight when you slow down. Left side is best.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thank you everyone. So far, it looks like trailer-based solutions are favoured. I guess the stability is worth having to drag an empty trailer one way.

So it's just strapped in with the front wheel off and there's nothing under the forks except maybe some padding? I could probably have a go at that without buying any more kit. Any things I should beware?

That looks like one of the car roof racks I mentioned in my idea 4. It's attractive because the bike wouldn't need dismantling. If you don't mind, I'd love to know how steady it is and if it tries to roll over?
I just strapped the forks and headtube to the frame of the trailer. Worked really well, though pulling such a long load took a bit of getting used to!

Reactions: mjr
Holy thread revival.

Just to pitch in, in Oxford I once saw in the early hours of the morning a guy wearing a rowing blazer (crew dinner or something I presume) riding a bike with one hand on the bars and towing a riderless bike with his other hand on the other set of bars. I presume the guy was doing a friend a favour who might have had one too many, but anyway, just as he approached me he suddenly lost his balance and did a spectacular dismount endeding up flat on the ground tangled between the two bikes. I went over to see if he was alright but he seemed pretty embarrassed and swiftly carried on his way deciding discretion was the better part of valour and pushing the bikes on the pavement.

So I wouldn't recommend that method when drunk.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's all the fuss about? As kids we often used to ride while wheeling a second bike alongside. [...]
So have I and I've done something similar recently, but even after half a mile, I was tiring. There's also the problem that there are a couple of width bottlenecks on my likely routes where I wouldn't fit through and riding like that on the alternative of a fast A road doesn't seem the most fun idea ever.
So I wouldn't recommend that method when drunk.
Yeah, usually you put your feet down as soon as it starts to get away from you and let the ghosting bike go if all else fails, but it sounds like his decision-making may have been impaired somehow :laugh:

So the trailer pictured is deceased, as is its replacement. However, this *was* used as a bike hire delivery trailer so had a fair bit of use/abuse.
It is 'surprisingly steady' unless you take a sharp turn at high speed.
Now using a Surly Big Bill.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom