Toyota Yaris Hybrid - sensible money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
If I read the review right it does 1.3 miles on electric power only below 31 mph. I thought might get me to work and back which is about 24 miles without the petrol kicking in.

byegad

Legendary Member
We had a Petrol Yaris followed by the Hybrid version. From 42mpg over the year with the Petrol, we went to 55mpg over the year. No change on driving behaviours but I noticed that, when my wife had driven the Petrol one the mpg had dropped, she was using it around the doors and short shopping trips, with the Hybrid the mpg went up after she'd driven it. Since our Yaris Hybrid, which we bought in 2018, they have upped the hybrid battery size. Our 2020 Corolla Touring Sport, a much bigger car, does 61mpg over the year, cruises at up to 62mph on battery only and is overall a much better Hybrid in terms of battery use. I'd expect the newer Yaris to be similar.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If I read the review right it does 1.3 miles on electric power only below 31 mph. I thought might get me to work and back which is about 24 miles without the petrol kicking in.
If it's anything like the Honda Jazz hybrid, you can't really control whether you're on battery only because the motor kicks in to replenish the battery when it's low.
We had a Petrol Yaris followed by the Hybrid version. From 42mpg over the year with the Petrol, we went to 55mpg over the year. No change on driving behaviours but I noticed that, when my wife had driven the Petrol one the mpg had dropped, she was using it around the doors and short shopping trips, with the Hybrid the mpg went up after she'd driven it. Since our Yaris Hybrid, which we bought in 2018, they have upped the hybrid battery size. Our 2020 Corolla Touring Sport, a much bigger car, does 61mpg over the year, cruises at up to 62mph on battery only and is overall a much better Hybrid in terms of battery use. I'd expect the newer Yaris to be similar.
I'm surprised that your mpg is so low in the hybrid. What year model is it? The Jazz consumption is very close to your rather impressive Corolla figures.

DRM

Guru
I’ve had both a Yaris Hybrid & a C-HR Hybrid as courtesy cars, the main impression was I’ve never gone through as much petrol in a car, on the motorway it’s i.c engine only, and the CVT rubber band gearbox is dreadful, the engine is actually screaming when trying to get up to speed

Senior Management had a C-HR (hybrid) for 3 years (from, July 2018), & loved it, being very sad to see it go
I wasn't so keen, as it was 'like being in a coffin'; black leather. black carpets, black headlining, that stupid 'privacy glass' & the ridiculously small rear door windows
C-HR. 3.JPG

As for range, she never ran it as a pure electric, & basically 'drove it with lead boots on', I could get 20 - 30 MPG more as an average

We used to tell people it had a teasmaid!!
Some believed us^_^
C-HR. 4.jpg

A 'G-meter' in a hybrid:wacko:
I had to explain that the aim as to keep the ball in the centre, not send it flying off the edge, never to be seen again

C-HR. 5.jpg

This was, from memory, her best MPG, on the day she brought it home
C-HR. 6.jpg

Would she have another one?
YES

Would I?
No, but if it had to be a Toyota, maybe the Corolla hybrid estate

Nowadays, she has a '65 plate' Yaris hybrid, as a 'works van', partly 'pool car' (used by staff, if they're having problems with their own vehicle, partly advert
I hear no complaints about it

Last edited:
Top Bottom