TPs Cinelli Experience Tri Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Components to turn my road bike into a tt machine...will these work?

To replace the road bars:

cinelli-mash-bullhorn-bar-2012-zoom.jpg

Already own these:
deda-parabolica-uno.jpg

To bring the seat forward:

2150202_1.jse5wsbbya.jpg

And wheels:
WPPX6060_P1.jpg

Onto this:

cinelli-experience-vblue-2013.jpg

Q: Will it work?

U

User19783

Yes and no,
Don't forget to add brake levers bar end shifters, brake pads for carbon wheel, New seat , tyres and it goes on,

I would buy a good second hand TT bike on eBay or on other sites.

But it's your money your choice.
Good luck.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It looks as though those aero bars won't fit on those bullhorns, due to the wing shape and the fixing of the aero bars is round.
That may just fit, but they will be very close together.

Sharky

Guru
I've done similar and it works, but a dedicated TT frame might have better geometry to make position & ride ideal. I've not tried the latter.

You'll need to consider brake levers. I don't think there is enough bend in the ones above to enable them to operate and then you need to consider bar end shifters as well.

I tried a fast forward seat post and it didn't make much difference apart from making me a bit more hunched. I used an in-line seat post instead, which brought me more forward.

Also experimented with an adjustable stem, so you can slam the bars down, but for me, the position was too extreme and I ended up raising the bars to ease the neck pain and allow me to see ahead.

If the Cinelli is a surplus bike and you have donor parts, it may be worth converting, but once a TT bike, then won't be much use for normal road riding.

Good luck

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm afraid whatever I do it'll look like the b@stard love child of Satan, but I can only assure you it's a stop gap. Build up a tri bike as I need one now, and eventually get a tri frame in future - a cheap one that can take the components I'm buying now.

I've only got a few centimetres I can shift the seat forward at the moment, but I'd rather just slot in a new seat and tube so I can reset it as a road bike quicker. I thought he f forward post advanced it about 5 cm. I'll take some measurements to see how much I need @Sharky

Good spot on the bar shape @Roadrider48

@User19783 the levers and shifters - how much of the Veloce groupset is reusable, is it just the shifters I'm replacing with levers and shifters? The cables just reattach?

RickB

professional procrastinator

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru

That will be the final step in the conversion, releasing my roadie from these chains :smile:

I'm having trouble finding reasonably priced Veloce shifter - there only seem to be £120 campag ten speeds. Dura Ace being £48...

Is it still true that any bar end shifter can be used in "friction mode"?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12773142

Sharky

Guru
+1 for dia compe bar ends. I used the same.
But they don't come with cables. The sram ones that I was after did, but were out of stock at the time.

When tri bars first came out, some used a pair of normal dropped bars upside down. Normal brake levers can then be used as the curve on the bars is unchanged and then the excess handle bar ends are sawn off. Might be the way to go to experiment with positioning etc.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I get the impression the "friction" shifting is the analogue way shifting used to happen back in the eighties?

Regarding cabling, my frame has internal cabling - why do I need new cabling, is it the length? I have some spare gear cables, would these do or is there something special about tt cabling?

Thanks for the tip on dia compe, I would prefer to keep it all campag, and click shifting, but only at reasonable prices.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
It looks as though those aero bars won't fit on those bullhorns, due to the wing shape and the fixing of the aero bars is round.
That may just fit, but they will be very close together.

On seeing this, I think there is enough space, similar to my current set up:

DSC_0032.jpg

Top Bottom