Traditional bottle cage suggestions please..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Excitement abound :rolleyes:

The CdF needs cages; I'm ideally looking at traditional aluminium tubular types rather than anything too modern / out of keeping with the steel frame.

I bought some Topeak Shuttles which got great reviews, look good and are light.. however they look like they've been fabricated by a blind many in the dark so are going back.

Suggestions please!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you want traditional, how about a Nitto T?
Use up some of that dosh you haven't been spending on beer, if you are anything like me.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My favourite traditional looking tubular bottle cages both came off scrap donor bikes so essentially cost bugger all. I've got others, in black finish, that literally cost a couple of quid a pop from Decathlon/Chain Reaction when on special offer. All my cages are the traditional metal types made of round tubes or rods. I don't think they need to be fancy, so long as they are in keeping with narrow tubed steel frames. The ones that I would never fit to any of my bikes, are the weird shaped plastic or carbon ones, or any that have any pretention to being "aero". Those just look ugly, and I don't care if they save 2 watts, I ain't putting them on any bike I ride..

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've got several of these Bontrager bottle cages on my bikes. Not too pricey, functional and do the job well.

00977_T_1_Hollow_6mm_Cage.jpeg

The Arundel stainless gets my vote, I have a couple and they are secure, nice design, should last a lifetime and not going to rust like mad after a winter on salted roads. Spendy but you will be able to find them on offer somewhere.

Equally, I have Decathlon ones on a different bike, they are dirt cheap and the bottle stays put, sp job done.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks for the suggestions :smile:

Lots to think about there; thinking the Bontrager is most likely currently on the grounds of price / colour / spec (thanks @chriswoody!).

Failing this I might go down @SkipdiverJohn route and just get some cheapo offerings.. I guess I can even go into a shop with my bottle and check fit / quality... which would have prevented getting stung by the Topeak turds.

It's a real shame these didn't pan out as otherwise they're ideal and were selected in record time for me.. just my luck to get dicked further down the line!

For making people pay silly money for very little, bottle cages must be near the top of the tree.

As long as they hold the bottle firmly and it's not difficult to get out on the move they're one as good as another. The style difference is only reasonably noticeable when there is no bottle in there anyway, and then you won't need a cage anyway.

Top Bottom