Traffic Droid will be on a new channel 4 program

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Well, he described the cycle lane as "safe" when we know they are more dangerous. maybe he can name the cycle lane he means?
That just shows he needs educating about cycle lanes, not that he was (necessarily) attacking cyclists. Why not just treat this thread as a chance to educate rather than attack?

Until I started cycling regularly I would have assumed that being on a cycle lane was safer than being on the road. It is in some cases...

Edit - although looking at his 'interests' on his profile, you may well be right!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It is common for drivers to shout abuse at cyclists and demand they get off the road and onto a cycle path. These drivers exhibit the same confusion and resentment that you did. You didn't ask a question, you made a statement that proved to fly counter to safe practice. You attacked cyclists for doing nothing wrong.

I wouldn't say it's common though it does happen. I see more comments about 'cyclists should be in the cycle lanes' in newspaper stories about cyclists then hear about in the real world.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I didn't….. you think and read into the post that i attacked ….by saying i do not understand why they ride on the road is not an attack on cyclists, its a statement i do not understand why they do it. it is put there to provoke the conversation and to get peoples views on why they do it. i hope you can see the point i am trying to get over
This would be more convincing if your 'interests' did not state
to insure bike users use the cycle paths when available and not the roads
It seems you have made up your mind that we should all be on cycle lanes even if they are unfit for purpose or we are travelling too fast...

Shaun

Founder
I struggle to find a reason why that particular smiley is still available actually, if we are not allowed to use it to express a legitimate opinion.

If you feel someone is not properly engaging in discussion, please use the report feature. :thumbsup:

Well that escalated quickly.....^_^

Ive pointed a couple of people at work at 4od for this, mostly because of their previous jobs (bus drivers) as I think they'd be into the insight into TFL but also the spotlight on complaining generally (they like moaning lol). Other than me spotting a sole comment in Metro letters (Droid should wear hi vis), no one else has mentioned this today to me.

The rest of the program.... Mr Bott was, well a character, his wife seemed lovely though and just put up with him quietly (I got the impression she was hiding upstairs doing stuff and they collared her for the cameras). The woman that tweeted.... Well easily ignored in the grand scheme of things but I loved her comment regarding running "who wants to run for owt" or similar. As for the man who jammed the TFL inbox with 600 emails:eek:

I doubt there is a single person with a helmet cam in Copenhagen.

For me the most interesting thing about the program was the disparity between the complaints shown, the majority of which were based on careless/dangerous driving, and the remedial training in the bus company, which only showed training in behaviour/dialogue, and not considerate driving skills.

To be fair on the bus company they were responding I think to his attitude at that time not his driving as we didnt see him driving badly just been well a bit like a lot of bus drivers i.e. grumpy and indifferent to customers. His boss mentioned an incident with a car but details were not clear, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I did like how he dealt with the lad that had no money, an expired pass and was well aware he'd need to pay (I hate fare dodgers of any kind).

I do wonder if I can face the rest of the series, I found the inside look into TFL and GoAhead fascinating and better TV than the complainers themselves who well just get on my nerves.

Reactions: gaz
In my experience it is very rare - I can only recall two instances since i started road riding about 8 years and 30,000 mile ago
On average I'd say I get this two or three times a month. Sometimes just a toot on the horn and pointing at the cycle path, occasionally a deliberate close pass or shouted abuse.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
One thing I have learned from watching this programme is people are always saying something is someone else's fault while neglecting all responsibility of their own failings. "The bus is always late and so I am always late to work". Well that is your fault. If you know its going to be late why keep getting that bus. Get the early bus and be on time. Its no ones fault but your own if you our late. Be prepared for things to go wrong.
This video sums my point up in a funny and nice way:
Video link - NSFW - swearing

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I have learned from watching this programme is people are always saying something is someone else's fault while neglecting all responsibility of their own failings. "The bus is always late and so I am always late to work". Well that is your fault. If you know its going to be late why keep getting that bus. Get the early bus and be on time. Its no ones fault but your own if you our late. Be prepared for things to go wrong.
This video sums my point up in a funny and nice way

Well.... Its not always that simple. If I dont cycle the new timetable means I need to change trains now, as my train is often delayed due to express services getting priority ovr my local one I often run the risk of missing the connection and being stranded for an hour until the next one. Getting an earlier train does not resolve that as whichever time I catch it, I still need to change, the express still has priority and I still may miss the connection.

I do agree though to a point and whenever I can I get the early train as well its better to be stranded an hour and still on time than stranded and an hour late!:blush:

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Well.... Its not always that simple. If I dont cycle the new timetable means I need to change trains now, as my train is often delayed due to express services getting priority ovr my local one I often run the risk of missing the connection and being stranded for an hour until the next one. Getting an earlier train does not resolve that as whichever time I catch it, I still need to change, the express still has priority and I still may miss the connection.

I do agree though to a point and whenever I can I get the early train as well its better to be stranded an hour and still on time than stranded and an hour late!:blush:
As you pointed out if you have trouble use another form of transport.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
As you pointed out if you have trouble use another form of transport.
It's not always possible, Dan. People's jobs move, or they have to choose where they live depending on their work or their partner's work or their kids' schools. Sometimes the only sensible choice is a train with a possible missed connection or sitting for hours in a traffic jam. Cycling is good, but not if you have too far to go, or you aren't well... Life is not black and white...

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
It's not always possible, Dan. People's jobs move, or they have to choose where they live depending on their work or their partner's work or their kids' schools. Sometimes the only sensible choice is a train with a possible missed connection or sitting for hours in a traffic jam. Cycling is good, but not if you have too far to go, or you aren't well... Life is not black and white...
Fair enough if you get caught out or its a one off. It if its over and over again and you keep doing it well.... its much like the fool me once shame on your fool me twice shame on me. Some people keep going and get to fool me 6000000000 times shame on you.
Cycling is not the only option. I'm sure in most situations there are other options be it get up more early to walk at bit to a different stop for a bus going to the same place.
Explaining to a boss for example that the bus is late will only wash a few times. Sooner or later they will ask what you are doing about it. Nothing which most people will reply is not exactly helping yourself.

Top Bottom