Traffic Droid will be on a new channel 4 program

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member

Hip Priest

Veteran
As a motorist……i hear a lot of your members moaning now . the guy that appeared on the channel 4 program called complainers has done the cycling community no good at all in my eyes. i find it hard to understand a lot of cyclists at the best of times when given a safe cycle path to cycle on they continually use the road, maybe someone can tell me why. but the chap that calls himself "traffic droid" should be re named "traffic haemorrhoid" he's a pain in the R's……..a yet to be converted motorist

Hi gw1. I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne too. A lot of the time, these cycle paths are actually 'shared use' paths, to be shared between cyclists, dog-walkers, pedestrians, people pushing prams...etc The recommended max speed on such paths is about 12-14mph (I think), so often you'll find quicker cyclists prefer to use the road instead, for the safety of all parties. This is of course completely legal.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
He does come across as massively eccentric and well meaning but like the TFL bloke at the end I do question some of his methods. Overall I think it was probably a fair representation of him. I also thought it was good they showed him taking a RLJ to task too.

I tell thee what though, I could never be one of those call centre people..I'd lose my rag in 5mins flat with some of those loonies.

Reactions: gaz

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As a motorist……i hear a lot of your members moaning now . the guy that appeared on the channel 4 program called complainers has done the cycling community no good at all in my eyes. i find it hard to understand a lot of cyclists at the best of times when given a safe cycle path to cycle on they continually use the road, maybe someone can tell me why. but the chap that calls himself "traffic droid" should be re named "traffic haemorrhoid" he's a pain in the R's……..a yet to be converted motorist
Gw1.

Since you have already joined the debate...and the forum, take a moment to look around and you will find very clear answers to your questions (especially in the commuting section). If that fails, you will find city cycling guides posted on the forum that will help your research still further.

I commend you for coming in and asking, rather than just jumping to a conclusion based on limited knowledge...we are all guilty of that sometimes.

But, rather than just answer your questions, i suspect you will gain a lot more by "finding" the answers here for yourself and in doing so, you may find out a lot more to boot.

I hope that helps.

J

Oh and PS, i suspect a lot of our members...which you are now one...will agree with your view of "son of the wind" or traffic droid...or whichever way we should address him. Whilst he is a distinct personality, not all of us are comforted by his approach.

Luke Redpath

Well I hope Lewis has thick skin. He's taking a shitload of abuse on Twitter right now, a lot of it directly after people figured out his username. I have mixed feelings about him; I find him overly confrontational some of the time and cringe every time the red card or ruler comes out, but I think his heart is in the right place.

He's certainly eccentric and doesn't deserve the level of abuse he is getting - people threatening to run him over or wishing death on him - but I suppose you should expect that if you choose to put yourself on national TV.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I thought it was a fair representation. He came across as an over-the-top eccentric, but also as a nice bloke, which I think is probably about right. He was certainly more likeable than that Mr Bott fella. Miserable old sod.

Reactions: gaz

Luke Redpath

I thought it was a fair representation. He came across as an over-the-top eccentric, but also as a nice bloke, which I think is probably about right. He was certainly more likeable than that Mr Bott fella. Miserable old sod.

The interview with the guy from TFL was interesting; when asked if he had thought about toning down a bit, his response was to ask if he should start giving out flowers. He sees things as black and white. He needs to realise you can be polite but firm and still make your point.

The editing made him come across worse than he really is though I think. The final clip of him losing it with the bus driver at the end was a perfect example. I remember that video. It was some pretty shocking driving from the bus driver and I note that Droid doesn't often lose his temper like that. He seem genuinely quite upset to me. Not that you'd know from the 2 seconds of context shown in the show.

Now I don't expect somebody to remain calm if they've almost been squashed by a bus but he seems to be just as confrontational over much more minor infractions.

I really wish he'd lose that stupid red card though.

Top Bottom