Traffic Droid will be on a new channel 4 program

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Gw1.

Since you have already joined the debate...and the forum, take a moment to look around and you will find very clear answers to your questions (especially in the commuting section). If that fails, you will find city cycling guides posted on the forum that will help your research still further.

I commend you for coming in and asking, rather than just jumping to a conclusion based on limited knowledge...we are all guilty of that sometimes.

But, rather than just answer your questions, i suspect you will gain a lot more by "finding" the answers here for yourself and in doing so, you may find out a lot more to boot.

I hope that helps.

J

Oh and PS, i suspect a lot of our members...which you are now one...will agree with your view of "son of the wind" or traffic droid...or whichever way we should address him. Whilst he is a distinct personality, not all of us are comforted by his approach.

I admire your patience with these half-wits JJ but I CBA! ^_^

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I admire your patience with these half-wits JJ but I CBA! ^_^

so why be rude rather than just ignore them?

They have come on asking a genuine question from a position of not knowing the answer, they're not jabbing a finger in our chests saying 'get off my road' and get confronted with you telling them to Foxtrot Oscar and calling them a halfwit.

no wonder we get an aggressive nobber reputation is it.

djb1971

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3103852, member: 9609"]I think he did too ^_^ so funny ...

And if you are reading this mr Traffic Droid - a big big LIKE from me - keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]
He was too busy waffling he turned and rode off, through a red:blush:

AndyRM

XOXO
That could have been a lot worse. TD should take on board Gareth from TfL's advice though. And learn how to fasten a helmet.

I'd like to think that he ran a red as a joke.

Reactions: gaz

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi gw1. I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne too. A lot of the time, these cycle paths are actually 'shared use' paths, to be shared between cyclists, dog-walkers, pedestrians, people pushing prams...etc The recommended max speed on such paths is about 12-14mph (I think), so often you'll find quicker cyclists prefer to use the road instead, for the safety of all parties. This is of course completely legal.
Agreed.

However much stronger reasons exist for deliberately ignoring cycle lanes.

I am hoping gw1 will find uncover these form him/herself.

KneesUp

Guru
i find it hard to understand a lot of cyclists at the best of times when given a safe cycle path to cycle on they continually use the road,

Where is it, this cycle path of which you speak? There is only one cycle path on my commute, and it is only about half a mile long. However, in that short distance they've crammed in the following 'features'

• a footpath alongside it that isn't marked clearly, so the cycle path if used by pedestrians
  • a very narrow bridge that is shared with pedestrians and cyclists going the other way and is just before two corners that are so tight you cannot ride a bike around them at more than walking speed
  • a bit where you are supposed to dismount for about 60 metres because that bit is all pavement for no apparent reason
  • a bit where you emerge onto a road just after a corner you can't see around
  • crossing one road takes three sets of lights which are not phased so you can do it in one (or even two) goes, with refuges shared with cyclists going the other way and pedestrians
  • crossing the other road takes two sets of lights, also not phased properly so you have to stop in the middle
  • they cycle path disappears altogether just before the second crossing so you have a choice of getting off, cycling on the pavement or going the wrong way up a one way street
You're right that it'd be madness to use the road where people in tons of metal don't care for cyclists if safe paths existed. But largely they don't.

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I just finished watching the program. The Droid does come across as a bit of a nutjob, not too extreme, but quite eccentric. Interesting how the complaints are dealt with by TfL. Seems very professional.

Well the show wasnt quite as interesting as I hoped, I actually preferred the sections inside the offices of the various companies and watching how they deal with
things.

Some TD quotes:

"its like a guerrilla warfare" and "justice will be done, we will prevail" - TD, losing track of what he's doing somewhat.

"that is pathetic" - TD in response to TFLs advice to look out for each other.

"London is extreme" - TD, in response to riding a bike through london.

"Call me traffic droid" - TD as his official name when making a complaint

"crazy farking nut" - Shopowner's opinion although he does like him also.

"In a way I'm like Jesus, suffering for all the cyclists but some do not appreciate it" - TD. :crazy::wacko::hyper:

He sees himself as some sort of crusader standing up for the cause but he's a raving nutjob when he gets on his bike. Waving his sticks about (I'm so glad they got that in there) and flashing red cards, he does nothing for cycling by behaving like that.

Off the bike he started to come over as not so bad, seeing him editing videos, talking about why he started but then he starts ranting about having someones 'balls for breakfast' and loses all sense of credibility. He goes especially booloo batshit crazy at that bus at the end, he's achieving nothing for no one behaving like that.

"your point gets hidden by the way your trying to deliver your message" - TFL.

Couldnt have put it better.

outlash

also available in orange
I wonder how many epileptics had seizures when looking at his strobe light helmet? Much like Mr. Bott and the lady who thought she can do what she likes on Twitter (moaning about the 104 bus etc etc), he has issues that clearly need addressing. They think they're getting their message across, the general public think they're a bit mental.

Tony.

GrasB

Veteran
i find it hard to understand a lot of cyclists at the best of times when given a safe cycle path to cycle on they continually use the road, maybe someone can tell me why. but the chap that calls himself "traffic droid" should be re named "traffic haemorrhoid" he's a pain in the R's……..a yet to be converted motorist
What speed do you consider 'safe' when riding within inches of pedestrians with small children & pets? a touch faster than brisk walk - 5mph? double that maybe - 10mph? how about 15mph? Or possibly the domain of the rapid cyclist 20mph?

gw1

Foxtrot Oscar!
thank you Glow worm for your comments……. You are probably the reason motorists get annoyed at cyclists My question and comments were meant seriously. I could go into a rant and would have no doubt if seeing you face to face things would be a lot different. all i can say to you SIR is Have a nice day i do hope you don't get a puncture on your way to work and if you do i hope its not raining

Top Bottom