Traffic lights to be switched off in safety experiment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

"While appearing radical, similar initiatives have already been undertaken on the continent. In the Dutch town of Drachten, where many of the lights were stripped out, the number of people injured in accidents fell because road users took greater care."

Holland isn't that where they have proper cycle lanes?

"In many towns in the United States, motorists approach four way junctions where there are no lights and have to negotiate priority between themselves."

and cyclists negotiate with motorists? That'll be fun.

U

User169

User said:
I'll be interested to see how this works.

On a purely anecdotal basis, when I lived in Pimlico the traffic lights on a busy junction near the flat went out a few times for extended periods.

Amazingly, traffic tended to flow more smoothly, with people taking greater care and giving way to each other. Cycling through that junction was also easier and more pleasant - the threat of 'amber gamblers' roaring through was removed and motorists seemed more inclined to give way to cyclists - perhaps because the removal of the governance of the lights meant that people didn't assume they had 'the right' to proceed.

I understand that my experiences were reflected by other cyclists in the area, and I've heard of similar experiences from elsewhere.

That's my experience too; it used to happen on my commute along Old Street.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
That's generally my experience too. Martin Cassini has been banging on about removing traffic lights for years, he predicts: "peaceful anarchy".

Interestingly (well to me anyway), its come full circle: J P Knight was the first engineer to use green and red gas lanterns at the top of Parliament Sq, which is very close to where the current traffic lights will be switched off a 141 years later...

Dan B

Disengaged member
Lights were out on the Old St/Kingsland Rd junction for most of Monday, owing to a power cut in the area (my fridge was out too, grr). Traffic seemed to flow quite freely, but being a bank holiday there was less of it than normal anyway

Really, though: most road users manage at "give way" signs and roundabouts without the need to be told what to do by glowing balls of gas, why should we assume them incapable if the glowing balls are removed?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hard to say. I've lived near a junction that got frequent power cuts and things flowed quite normally. I've also worked near a junction there was chaos when there were a power cut. It depends what type of traffic light they are and other factors such as is there a preferred orientation.

U

User169

purplepolly said:
"While appearing radical, similar initiatives have already been undertaken on the continent. In the Dutch town of Drachten, where many of the lights were stripped out, the number of people injured in accidents fell because road users took greater care."

Holland isn't that where they have proper cycle lanes?

I had a feeling that in Drachten, all "street furniture" was removed so I had assumed that proper cycle lanes were removed too. Kerbs were removed too as well I think so that the space between peds and drivers is lessened.

One criticism of the "shared space" approach comes from the blind who rely heavily on kerbs and traffic lights.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
Hard to say. I've lived near a junction that got frequent power cuts and things flowed quite normally. I've also worked near a junction there was chaos when there were a power cut. It depends what type of traffic light they are and other factors such as is there a preferred orientation.

Yes, I'm sure there will be site specific criteria. Although I'd wager there is more rersearch going on into the planned swithing off of the signals, then was ever conducted into the installation and effects of traffic lights at 1000s of locations nationwide.

joolsybools

I will watch this one with interest especially as I come mostly through Westminster on my commute.

I hope it extends to Brent/Camden - I was only saying the other day it would be interesting to see if the traffic flows more freely up Kilburn High Road without traffic lights. There must be at least 10 sets within a couple of miles.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
In my limited experience signals out have allowed many motorists to rediscover courtesy. It's not long before a turn about routine is created and little waves of thanks are exchanged.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
User said:
I'll be interested to see how this works.

On a purely anecdotal basis, when I lived in Pimlico the traffic lights on a busy junction near the flat went out a few times for extended periods.
If this is Warwick Way/Belgrave Road then it's about time I told you about the time the lights were out and I went over the top of a taxi.

This could work. Only time will tell. Not to try it would be silly.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
User said:
A taxi! What else do you expect from the most dangerous drivers in London.

The only way to drum courtesy into the heads of taxi-driving neanderthals is through use of an RPG.
ahem! I was travelling considerably faster than an RPG!

(and hit the bugger side on)

Jonathan M

I've seen some traffic light controlled junctions in Europe, a while ago I'll hasten to add, where out of peak times there is just a flashing amber, no light control of the traffic. But this is during quiet hours.

However I'd agree that in some circumstances road users can negotiate the roads during busier times without lights. I was in Liverpool several years ago when there was a powercut across all of the city centre, not a light was working. I wasn't a cyclist back then, but made an early dart imagining traffic chaos. To my surprise there wasn't, however I've got a feeling for everyone like myself who tried to beat the rush there was another person leaving the drive home "for later" meaning the rush home occured over a much longer time period, so although anecdotally traffic lights going down doesn't cause the congestion that would be expected, when they are down through faults it is a short term expediency that people have to live without them. Given a week of no lights I'm not sure the same courtesy would still be alive!

Alan Whicker

I'm all for this, but the frequent 'outs' at the junction of Whitechapel Road and Vallance Road are terrifying, whether you're on two wheels or four. It seems to descend to biggest-has-right-of-way.

thomas

the tank engine
oohh. Never knew this before last night, but they seem to turn out a set of lights out in Norwich at night. It's on a roundabout, but it was a weird (but good) experience just being allowed to do the roundabout properly :smile:.

(I assume they were meant to do this and not just broken).

Top Bottom