Trailside puncture repairs - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Quite like the sound of the repair canister thing-a-ma-jig, never seen one of those before.

Thinking about it a bit more reading the replies in this thread, I'm actually amazed I haven't had many, many more punctures off-road, considering the number of gorse bushes I've flattened, hawthorn strewn roads I've cycled, and rough granite boulders I've scraaaaaped the tyres along.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
If schwalbe did a 2.1" knobby version of their marathons I would fit them tomorrow!

Ciar

Veteran
I normally carry a mini pump in my hydration pack, tyre levers if needed but rarely used and 2-3 spare tubes.

when i remove the punctured tube i run my hard around the inside of the rim before putting anything new inside, then in with a new tube, generally a quick turn around as well.

wahoofish

Tubeless solves most puncture problems. Went tubeless 11,000 MTB kilometres ago and have never had to use the spare tube I carry. In fact, I tried to use it the other night to seat a new tyre and it had multiple holes in it, presumably from being taped to my frame for three years.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Here's a link to the decathlon puncture repair canister. Looks big in the pic but it is quite small and easily fits in a pocket or saddle pack. For a small puncture like a thorn or point of glass, which most of my punctures usually are, I am hoping this will do what it says on the tin!!
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/universal-puncture-repair-can-id_1278315.html
I think the problem with this is that it is only a temporary repair, and when you get back you then have to change a tyre full of gooey crap. At least the green slime ones were a nightmare. Better just to repair/replace the tube and then the job is done.

Alan O

Über Member
Tubeless solves most puncture problems.
I find fixing punctures solves most puncture problems :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
I think the problem with this is that it is only a temporary repair, and when you get back you then have to change a tyre full of gooey crap. At least the green slime ones were a nightmare. Better just to repair/replace the tube and then the job is done.

Why would you fix it when the sealant has done the job.

wahoofish

I find fixing punctures solves most puncture problems :laugh:

Forgive me, I should have said that tubeless prevents most punctures from happening - LOL

I work on the basis that if the car roadside "sealant" repairs are designed only to get you home, I don't want to be relying on sealant for the next few thousand miles.

In most cases you won't even know that there was a hole that was sealed. Occasionally you might see a spot or two of sealant squeezing through the tyre when it is working it's magic, but apart from that, or if you get a bigger hole that you need to plug, which you just do from the outside in seconds as well, you won't even know that you had a hole. In my experience, you shouldn't need to have the tyre off the rim for it's lifetime.

CKP2337.jpg

Top Bottom